Author Topic: Why So Short  (Read 1884 times)

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
Re: Why So Short
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I recently saw U2 during the I&E tour, and don't get me wrong, they are ere just incredible, but why so short? The show was only 2:15. With a band that has so many outakes, non album b sides, soundtrack recordings, etc. you would think they could put on a longer show. Age isn't an excuse, a lot of the old legends that have ten years on U2 play longer. So what is up?

A lot of the "old legends" play a different style of music and are, frankly, boring as hell. Give me two hours of U2 any time.

Waffles

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
With all the ballads this tour, bonos voice doesn't last long

PookaMacP

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
Two reasons:

(1) There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. 2h 15m seems about a goldilocks length - just right.

(2) They're a group of men in their mid-50s whose lead singer needs at least two nights off between gigs to allow his voice to recover.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »
Maybe if the show started at 7:30 and finished at 10:30 that could work with a longer intermission perhaps. Just my idea. All that said I was very happy with the shows I saw in Montreal they were amazing. I believe one of the shows ended just before 11:00 I remember thinking they are playing longer that night.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
My I+E show was 2:35. That's longer than ZooTV, PopMart and Elevation by a good bit.

Springsteen goes between 2:30-2:50 on average. The legend -- yes, he does occasionally go over 3 hours -- has exceeded the fact. I've got 10 ticket stubs, so yes, I do know what I am talking about.

Oasis never broke 2 hours in their whole career.

This is getting silly. Bono's voice is shot by the end of the night. Floors are $80 before fees. What do you want, a pint of blood?

a pint of something, that's for damn sure  8)

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:34 AM »
Sorry, I thought you were asking specifically about Bono.

That's what I thought too?

I don't think so, Bono is wearing high heels.

surit87

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »

That's what I thought too?

I don't think so, Bono is wearing high heels.
:o

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »
The show I went to (7/26 MSG) featured 24 songs including encores, and ran close to 2.5 hours.  When you are in GA standing, jumping, and singing to the music...this feels long enough - my wife and I were tired by the end.  They finished up with One and Bono basically let the crowd bring it in home, land it, and pull it into the hangar - his voice was probably worn out by then.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:01:11 AM by aviastar »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
Some acts like Paul McCartney tend to space out their shows too, which I'm sure benefits them in terms of preserving their voice and being able to play longer shows.

2:15 sounds right to me. If you play longer than that or push 3, then you actually do run the risk of boring people in the audience.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
While the post below was during the 360 tour, I'm confident all the elements Willie Williams speaks to are relevant to any U2 show, and seem to corroborate what many have stated here.

BTW, always leave them wanting more.   ;)

Also, an interesting read regarding the length of Springsteen concerts and concerts in general.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
No more than 2.5 hours, got to look after Bono's voice & Larry's back. Maybe the intermission could be extended. Maybe Edge could sing a couple of verses, bring on Seconds!

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
Maybe Edge could sing a couple of verses.
COUGH van diemen's land COUGH
I really, really, love that song.  I know it won't happen, but it would be great if they brought it back.

hrsan

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »

He must have felt really tall during that duet with Paul Simon.

Offline DanielCT

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
It gets rough when the show is on a Monday night and you have to go to work the next day.   In your 20s, it's nothing.  In your 40s, it's a lot tougher.

You got that right. I found that out at the 7/27 show when I did GA for the first time since the Outside Broadcast tour in 1992. I felt fine during the show, but walking out my knees hurt like hell and I felt like a middle aged guy for sure. Of course I came back and did it again for the last 2 shows. Absolutely worth it and will do it again, assuming they come back next year.

Offline wildhoney15

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
I think the guy that started this post doesn't have to hire a babysitter or get up for work the next morning.  They are usually doing between 22 and 25 songs which is standard.  Bruce does more but he just stands there and doesn't work the stage, or in U2's case, work the entire arena.  I think concessions too, if Bruce fans didn't maintain a steady beer line throughout the night, the curfews would be imposed.  At Bruce, I once waited 20 minutes for a beer 2 hours into his show and all stands were open.  At U2 MSG, they were cleaning the taps and soda fountains during the Fly intermission.