Author Topic: Will U2 forgo opening acts on future tours?  (Read 1408 times)

hrsan

Will U2 forgo opening acts on future tours?
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Do you think not having an opening act set a precedent for future tours?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: Will U2 forgo opening acts on future tours?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
I hope they persist with the current policy. Opening acts are generally a waste of time and it often leads to an awkward relationship between crowd and band. There is little or no singing along and the crowd are usually dead until U2 come on.

Offline Nikki_Silver

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
I think that the only time I enjoyed the opening act as much as the main act was when Queens of the Stone Age opened for Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »
While I remember many opening acts, I believe the only one I can say I enjoyed was SRV opening for Dire Straits and later for Robert Plant.  Was also lucky enough to see him on his own too in '89.

Can't say any of U2's openers were truly enjoyable that I have seen. (Maybe Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul)

Offline TheCourt

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
I hope not, if nothing else I can make sure I don't see a bad band at their own show.

Waffles

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »
I'd like an opening act. The band still comes out at the same time. It gives me something to do in GA while people are still showing up

Offline zooropamofo

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope they persist with the current policy. Opening acts are generally a waste of time and it often leads to an awkward relationship between crowd and band. There is little or no singing along and the crowd are usually dead until U2 come on.

One exception to this was The Arcade Fire on the Vertigo tour, at least up here in Canada.  They nailed that slot and really had the crowd pumped.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
This says much more about u2 fans than the bands. U2 fans love the whole 'arms folded, impress me' stance.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
I look at it as a way to see artists I wouldn't otherwise have seen. I have seen Kanye West and Jay-Z 7 times each. I saw the black eyed peas twice. Do I now love em? No way, but each had a good crack at entertaining a disinterested crowd, and probably the black eyed peas (whom I like the least musically) put on the best show.

It works better these days with GA, as they have a crowd to play to. In the past with fully reserved floors there was no one to play to.

I maintain u2 should have an opening act on this tour, and in keeping with innocence /experience it should be an unsigned local band. What a opportunity.

U2 should come out and introduce them at 7pm, they should be afforded great sound and proper lighting, and they should be part of the whole night. Imagine how good that could be? U2 would get a lot of credit and rightly so.

hrsan

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
I look at it as a way to see artists I wouldn't otherwise have seen. I have seen Kanye West and Jay-Z 7 times each. I saw the black eyed peas twice. Do I now love em? No way, but each had a good crack at entertaining a disinterested crowd, and probably the black eyed peas (whom I like the least musically) put on the best show.

It works better these days with GA, as they have a crowd to play to. In the past with fully reserved floors there was no one to play to.

I maintain u2 should have an opening act on this tour, and in keeping with innocence /experience it should be an unsigned local band. What a opportunity.

U2 should come out and introduce them at 7pm, they should be afforded great sound and proper lighting, and they should be part of the whole night. Imagine how good that could be? U2 would get a lot of credit and rightly so.

I'm with you.  Today's opening act is tomorrow's headliner. 

iehomecoming

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »
I love the no opening act thing. Rush has been doing it for 20 years, no opening act means more time for the main attraction. I buy a ticket regardless of opening act, and if it means I can avoid hearing Jay z, Kanye West or kings of Leon then I'm all for it.

hrsan

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
I love the no opening act thing. Rush has been doing it for 20 years, no opening act means more time for the main attraction. I buy a ticket regardless of opening act, and if it means I can avoid hearing Jay z, Kanye West or kings of Leon then I'm all for it.

What if you get someone like Pearl Jam or Muse?

iehomecoming

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
So 45 minutes of Pearl Jam or Muse vs. More U2 time ?

More U2 time.

Plus it's not likely pearl Jam or muse will be opening for U2 any time soon.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
Little Steven & The Disciples of Sole / Los Lobos
Primus / Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprasy
Third Eye Blind
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Snow Patrol
Interpol

These are the bands I have seen open for the lads and quite frankly all pretty forgettable in my mind.  I was not a fan of any of them before and am not a fan of any of them now.  Offered a bit of a diversion during the first 45 minutes, but really did not add anything to the overall concert experience.

hrsan

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
So 45 minutes of Pearl Jam or Muse vs. More U2 time ?

More U2 time.

Plus it's not likely pearl Jam or muse will be opening for U2 any time soon.

Understood, but are we really getting more U2 time?  Pearl Jam has opened a show for U2 well into their career and Muse could still open in a stadium show.  The Stones have gotten big name acts to open for them as well. 

I have seen Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, and QOTSA as opening acts.  U2 has opened for J. Geils Band.  INXS has opened for The Police, Metallica opened for Ozzy and Led Zeppelin opened for Vanilla Fudge.   You never know.