Author Topic: Will U2 forgo opening acts on future tours?  (Read 1409 times)

iehomecoming

Re: Will U2 forgo opening acts on future tours?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Yeah you never know. But in going to concerts for 35 years in my experience it's the "even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut" theory at work when it comes to opening bands.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
I sincerely hope there will never be another opening band...please understand that this does NOT reflect on any band that has ever opened for U2. It's just that we NEED to see the longer shows...and they can only be longer if there is no opening band. I personally believe that openers are a waste of time...that's not what we pay for. We pay for the boys, and they are worth every penny. The excitement of that first song, knowing it would be Miracle, without having to sit through some other band, was just SO intense!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
If U2 were playing longer then I would be OK with no opener - they aren't though so it is less live music for my money and that isn't a good thing.

hrsan

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah you never know. But in going to concerts for 35 years in my experience it's the "even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut" theory at work when it comes to opening bands.

Fair enough, but when he finds the nut, it is ever so delicious.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
So 45 minutes of Pearl Jam or Muse vs. More U2 time ?

More U2 time.

Plus it's not likely pearl Jam or muse will be opening for U2 any time soon.
But that's the point. You're not getting more u2 time. You're getting more standing-around-waiting time.

iehomecoming

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »

More U2 time.

But that's the point. You're not getting more u2 time. You're getting more standing-around-waiting time.

No there's less.

There's typically 45 minutes between crap opener and U2, with start time typically around 9. Start time on ie has been around 815, and with the intermission the overall run time is longer but now we can take a pee break during the video, or during SFS. 

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
And this is what rock shows have become... Pee breaks and intermissions...

iehomecoming

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
And this is what rock shows have become... Pee breaks and intermissions...

People gotta pee. 

But if there's a manual or something on what should or should not happen in a rock show I'd like to see it.  The "evening with" thing has been around a long time, intermission are part of that usually on the ones I've seen.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 05:51:50 AM »
I just think it's poor for that a band who worked their way up through a series of support slots doesn't give the opportunity to a local or mid range band who could really benefit for the exposure. And, if not, they should play 3 hours.

It's more like a theatre show than a gig. Arrive. Take your seats. Have a cup of tea at intermission, eat some Murray mints. Fetch your coat and go home.

Opening acts for me are a really valuable part of the concert experience. They're hit and miss. By definition.

hrsan

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »

More U2 time.

No there's less.

There's typically 45 minutes between crap opener and U2, with start time typically around 9. Start time on ie has been around 815, and with the intermission the overall run time is longer but now we can take a pee break during the video, or during SFS. 

My start time was 8:30

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:14 AM »
They'd always be done by 11pm too, right? That's the curfew for most venues I think...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 07:14:14 AM »
I just think it's poor for that a band who worked their way up through a series of support slots doesn't give the opportunity to a local or mid range band who could really benefit for the exposure. And, if not, they should play 3 hours.

It's more like a theatre show than a gig. Arrive. Take your seats. Have a cup of tea at intermission, eat some Murray mints. Fetch your coat and go home.

Opening acts for me are a really valuable part of the concert experience. They're hit and miss. By definition.

Yeah - opening acts are a big part of the whole gig experience and even though u2 crowds have in my experience generally been pretty poor in how they treat opening acts I for one enjoy seeing them and as I have said feel cheated unless u2 are going to play for longer.

Less live music for your money is never a good thing....

iehomecoming

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
U2 hasn't had a decent opener that fits those descriptions since 1984 with the waterboys.

No doubt, the pretenders, garbage, pearl jam, Muse were all well established bands in their own right when they opened for U2.

I'm good with no opener, yeah if they just came on and played 90 minutes I might feel differently about it.

And yes what U2 does with the preset stage positioning they need to adhere to is more like a Broadway show.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
If they can sell out their shows or almost full sellouts without opening acts then there is no point to pay extra for opening acts.

Cheers,

J

iehomecoming

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »

More U2 time.

No there's less.

My start time was 8:30

That's still a half hour earlier (approximately) than they'd start with an opening band.