Author Topic: Woman who helped Bono after Bicycle crash booed off stage at MSG  (Read 5318 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono invited a handful of special guests on stage during U2's residency at Madison Square Garden in New York and thanked one woman in particular who had called for help after his crash.

He also invited the firefighters who came to his rescue that day. Bono broke bones in his face and and feared he would never play guitar again.

"I am here today because some people, when I crashed my bike here in the city, a beautiful girl made a phone call to 911," he told the audience.

"Shes from Denver, but shes here tonight. And so is Engine 44, the firefighters that picked me up off the ground."

He then handed the microphone to the woman in question to relay their story, to which she responded: "So I have to clarify, its Alyssa and Im from D.C., not Denver.

"Heres what happened: I was running in Central Park, there was an accident, obviously I had to stop and help because Im not from New York, I'm from Virginia, where people are nice."

She was booed before she could finish her story.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Woman who helped Bono after Bicycle crash booed off stage at MSG
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

Here is a cringeworthy video of the incident. The news incorrectly reported that she was on stage when Bono in fact handed the Microphone to her in the crowd.

Once she gets booed, she doubles down and makes it worse for herself. Totally awful.....

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
Well that seems out of order but that's a strange comment to make to a New York crowd.

edit: Oh thanks for the video. Yes the booing makes more sense now I've heard her whiny tones.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:37:25 PM by kango »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
Lesson #1: Don't insult the local crowd. That's like going to a Yankee game and proclaiming they suck.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »
That's just awkward.

And hilarious for me, because I'm from Virginia and sometimes live in New York and I have actually met more nice people at home than up there. But that isn't to say that everyone in New York is mean and unwilling to help people, like this woman insinuates. If she was trying to hold herself up as being nicer than others, she didn't do a very good job of it. And that comment she threw in after, "He wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me!" ...Wow.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
She was fishing for some browning points and made a fool out of herself instead. No class, you never insult the home town people. Who does that?   She must feel pretty ridiculous looking back at that in front of Bono on top of that and the whole world.Guess she won't be going to New York any time soon.

Offline Connordo

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:43:47 PM »
Was there and the woman's voice already had a "tone" if you know what I mean, from the get go.  She must have been heating up knowing that the story has been told many times with her incorrect name and where she was going so after probably a few drinks she was ready to set the record straight.  The comment about where people are nice is what started the Bronx cheers.  By the time she already conveyed the story about how she told Bono to sit on his rear, a comment about how everyone here should do the same was purely an attempt to quell the crowd but damage done, move on and give the mic back.  Lucky she wasn't on the big screen too.  The Edge started to chuckle because he knew it was going south quick.  I am sure Bono will think twice before handing the mic over again.

I have to say, I have never been to a concert where I saw people being verbally abused for standing during some of the slow songs.  This isn't James Taylor or Billy Joel at the garden for crying out loud.  Must be getting old but the people I saw giving the standing people a hard time were not old folks either, they were 20 somethings two fisting their $11.50 Brooklyn lagers each for crying out loud.  I can only be in GA going forward, too annoying and distracting if you are not in a good energetic section.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
I was watching this on the U2 Meerkat and she was never onstage. It was pretty awkward and rude of her. I'm pretty sure the firefighters next to her took the mic away and gave it to Bono.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »
Okay, I've finally heard it instead of just reading about it. Her only excuse and I do mean only is that she's a terrible standup comic who badly misread the crowd.

But I'm gonna go with whiny, nasal-voiced, self-absorbed b***h instead.

I'm from New York. She called 911 because she got there first with her phone. End of. She can chill the hell out now.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Claws are out again i see.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »

If you're referring to me, yes, they are.

On edit: I'm very grateful that she did what she did. And yeah, Bono had some wrong information about her. But her attitude was inexcusable and frankly, inexplicable. You're being praised for doing a good deed, say thanks and let everyone applaud!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:35:00 PM by JHook »

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
crowd should not be on a soap box, that is what Bono is for :)

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »
Arrgh b#*ch

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »

If you're referring to me, yes, they are.

No I wasn't....I make it a sort of forum rule of mine not to converse with you if i can help it.

It was a general observation on the thread.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
Deserved the boos, what was she thinking?