Author Topic: Woman who helped Bono after Bicycle crash booed off stage at MSG  (Read 5316 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Woman who helped Bono after Bicycle crash booed off stage at MSG
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The booing on the Youtube vid doesn't sound too bad - in person it seemed much, much louder. It was pretty cringe worthy, for sure.

Yeah, you cannot underestimate the difference between being there, photos and video. A world of difference. 

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »

It depends on the situation.  If someone falls or gets hurt of course we're gonna help, that being said, I was walking down a street in midtown and there was a supposed homeless person asking for help, who then proceeded to whip out a cell phone and have a conversation.  You bet I walked right by!

Homeless people can't have cellphones now? They give them away free to people who are on  limited income.  It makes it easier for them to coordinate with social services and job call backs.  But maybe you're right; he could have sold his cellphone and bought himself an apartment in Manhattan because they are worth about the same, I'm sure.

You don't get it.  And I don't appreciate the sarcasm either.  There's a huge difference between someone on limited income who's out there looking for a job and needs a cell and someone who sits on the ground and begs for money then whips out a cell and starts chatting with a friend. 

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Cannot believe this thread. Either you're making sweeping generalisations about cities or you're condoning aggressive behaviour to a member of the audience. How tribal/childish. She was obviously looking for a bit of a fight... as many, many people do, at concerts and indeed other public events. She was seeking attention and  I agree that her tone was really rather hostile... so she probably overstepped the line.

But it didn't really hurt anyone. She didn't call out a particular member of the audience. I think people should be less ready to adopt a mob mentality in the service of hometown patriotism. It's not personal when so and so says your city sucks. People say it all the time about everywhere. Perhaps the fact that it's so socially acceptable to be offended about that sort of thing is a manifestation of a culture of pettiness and outrage.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:36 AM »
Homeless people can't have cellphones now? They give them away free to people who are on  limited income.  It makes it easier for them to coordinate with social services and job call backs.  But maybe you're right; he could have sold his cellphone and bought himself an apartment in Manhattan because they are worth about the same, I'm sure.
Funny, interesting, and then funny again.   ;D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
I don't think she should have said what she said.

However, people really need to get thicker skins. Other places get routinely insulted much worse than that, even by people who have never even been to the place in question.

*cough* Cleveland *cough*

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
i've never heard anyone mention Cleveland. Outside the Lebron stuff. Didn't know it had a 'reputation'

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
i've never heard anyone mention Cleveland. Outside the Lebron stuff. Didn't know it had a 'reputation'

It's no Detroit, but.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Texas is all southern hospitality, ranches, cattle, Jerry Jones, country music, cowboy boots.

no just kidding, we're hospitable but the rest is inaccurate.

there is no Jerry Jones.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
Texas is all southern hospitality, ranches, cattle, Jerry Jones, country music, cowboy boots.

no just kidding, we're hospitable but the rest is inaccurate.

there is no Jerry Jones.
I can confirm this is accurate.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »

So when I lived in Colorado and people asked where I was from, and I said Cleveland, the next response 99% of the time was, "Oh, the mistake by the lake." Or some comment about the river burning. Believe me, TONS of people who have never been to Cleveland have lots of things to say ripping on it. In my opinion, the only people who are allowed to b**** about Cleveland are Clevelanders and we do that aplenty.

Btw, our lake and the Cuyahoga River are much cleaner now than in the like late 1960s when the river burned. So... Time to get over that now. And like Denver doesnt have a huge ass cloud of pollution hanging over it most days... (Disclaimer: I love Denver. But dont go throwing stones at Cleveland when your own city is not pristine!)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »

So when I lived in Colorado and people asked where I was from, and I said Cleveland, the next response 99% of the time was, "Oh, the mistake by the lake." Or some comment about the river burning. Believe me, TONS of people who have never been to Cleveland have lots of things to say ripping on it. In my opinion, the only people who are allowed to b**** about Cleveland are Clevelanders and we do that aplenty.

Btw, our lake and the Cuyahoga River are much cleaner now than in the like late 1960s when the river burned. So... Time to get over that now. And like Denver doesnt have a huge ass cloud of pollution hanging over it most days... (Disclaimer: I love Denver. But dont go throwing stones at Cleveland when your own city is not pristine!)

I currently live in the Seattle area, which is nice because it enables me to bag on just about every other U.S. city. Never been to Cleveland, though, so I'll keep quiet (other than to say I loved seeing Lebron let the entire city down on their home floor a couple months ago).

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »

I currently live in the Seattle area, which is nice because it enables me to bag on just about every other U.S. city. Never been to Cleveland, though, so I'll keep quiet (other than to say I loved seeing Lebron let the entire city down on their home floor a couple months ago).

LeBron deserves all the sh** he gets from everyone. Haha. He needs a huge head deflating.

I know where he lives, btw. My bike club sometimes rides by his house.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »

The booing on the Youtube vid doesn't sound too bad - in person it seemed much, much louder. It was pretty cringe worthy, for sure.

Yeah, you cannot underestimate the difference between being there, photos and video. A world of difference.

The booing was so loud that we could not hear anything else she said after insulting New Yorkers.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »

LeBron deserves all the sh** he gets from everyone. Haha. He needs a huge head deflating.

I know where he lives, btw. My bike club sometimes rides by his house.

I don't know, he seems to be doing pretty good at life. High School Graduate, strait into million dollar contracts. Not bad. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
Yea i think he's doing alright and he's ego HAS been deflated. he's said many times he regrets the whole The Decision bit and that experience is the best teacher, he's learned alot.

but yea i've never heard of this river-burning business.

Seattle? It's a nice city, but the whole high suicide rate and meth problem kinda over shadows that for me.