Author Topic: 3 Favorite/Least Favorite Aspects of tour so far?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
3 Favorite/Least Favorite Aspects of tour so far?
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
What are your 3 favorite and least favorite aspects of the IE tour so far?
Mine are:
3 Favorite
1. The excellent translation of mostly all of the Songs of Innocence songs live
Raised by Wolves, Cedarwood Road, and Iris have all become highlights, and the miracle is a very solid opener (I wish they would do the promo tour version of EBW though). The 3 pair perfectly with the large video screens.
2. Bono seems to be doing great considering what happened.
His voice seems to be getting better and better as the tour continues, and I know its tough for him considering it was not too long ago he had a very serious injury. Besides the horrid blond hair, he looks perfectly fine
3. They are playing some oldies
Innocence+Experience, when paired with 360 and vertigo, has covered mostly all of their catalog and I love that. In 360 and Vertigo they focused on 90s and early 2000s rarities while dropping some old songs in there. But in this tour they're playing alot of tracks not seen in a while from their earlier albums (Two Hearts, October, Gloria, Electric Co)

Honorable Mention: It's just great to see them playing again, and the revitalization of bullet is unbelievable

3 Least Favorite
1. Three Ignored Albums
They could find a spot for them easily (Discotheque alternating with Mysterious Ways, Please after RBW, MOFO before Iris, Stay+The First Time acoustic e-stage, magnificent e-stage, and moment of surrender alternating with Bad) but they don't, for whatever reason.
2. Some Puzzling Choices
18 every concert songs (I'm looking at you EBTTRL and MW). I love those songs but MW is on the verge of becoming very saturated
Recording of Lykke Li on the troubles instead of the edge singing like in the alternative version
Confusion in the crowd about Invisible
Every Breaking Wave>Bullet
California being sparingly played
3. The Encore
The encore consists of City of Blinding lights (No complaints there), Bono speechifying>Streets (UGH), and the closer. I'm not a big fan of one or still haven't found as a closer, but 40 is always great of course. I would rather see them do sleep like a baby tonight or the troubles with the extended guitar solo as a closer. Say what you will about 360, but that tour had a great encore every night, and had exciting moments (Ultraviolet) that this tour's encore sometimes lacks

(Dis)Honorable Mention: Too many acoustics (PLEASE don't play the acoustic version of the fly you've been rehearsing)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:16:04 PM by AltonDalton »

Borack

Re: 3 Favorite/Least Favorite Aspects of tour so far?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
Outstanding observations and compelling logic. Many thanks for this valuable and thought-provoking thread / contribution.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Outstanding observations and compelling logic. Many thanks for this valuable and thought-provoking thread / contribution.
Thanks!!! ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:04:32 PM by AltonDalton »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Favourites

1) The construction of the first set - Loved this from night 1 and it just works *so* well. There are tweaks I would make (Maybe not have 3 new songs in a row, for instance) but they're minor and I can think of downsides to every tweak. The fourpack to open is a fierce, fantastic statement of intent, (Which is indescribably better than the 4 NLOTH song opener of 2009...) the new stuff sounds great, the visuals are great, the theme is clear and the transitions, especially RBW into UTEOTW, are show highlights.

2) The openness of the rotation slots. Not quite shown off to full effect in NYC8 but it puts things in perspective to recall that of the 47 songs played this leg, a solid 25 or so are either fixed or in fixed rotations of only a few choices. That means something like twenty songs have passed through those rotation slots, which is crazy. From brand new SoI era stuff to R&H classics to October (!), the fact that these could be crowd-pleasers or bonus tracks adds a nice element of unpredictability, and is quite uncharacteristic of the band!

3) The glorious, monstrously loud, phenomenal return of Bullet the Blue Sky. HOO OO OO OOH

Least Favourite

1) The construction of the second set - mirroring my praise of the first set, the post-intermission set is just much less tightly done even allowing for the good flexibility in the rotations. The end of the set feels too much like a hits parade rather than anything more carefully structured; it remains totally unclear, for instance, why the band have decided to only play The Troubles sandwiched between hits when they play it at all; a dreadful idea. There doesn't really feel like a theme or a message here. This may in part be a consequence of the first set being so tight that they need to cram a lot of the 'essentials' into the last part but they also haven't really worked on the transitions much - and the one transition they clearly worked on extensively, from Bullet into Pride, remains the most cringeworthy part of the entire show and has hopefully now seen its last performance.

2) Bono's speeches - I'm not normally one of those people, but this tour must be the worst yet for these. One in the middle of I Will Follow, albeit short? Nope, breaks the momentum of the song. One after Iris- fine, gives the crowd a chance to take a break and sets the stage well for the new material.  One during Pride? Unnecessary, doesn't add much, goes on far too long. One before Streets? Totally unacceptable and the most annoying aspect of the show to me. Destroys the momentum going into U2's best intro and the worst transition into Streets they've ever done; normally a show highlight. And then ANOTHER after Streets, which is fine because it's the end of the show but makes the pre-Streets one feel even more redundant.

3) Neglect of the old rarities - None of the fixed songs are even close to rarities, which is a break from recent tours where some were locked in. I love the diversity of the rotations as mentioned before, but the overwhelming majority of them are either new songs or warhorses. The second song slot is really the only time you get this guaranteed. It would be nice to see more of them in there - not a lot more, not even every night, but in regular rotation. Some positive steps have occured here w/October and THBAO popping up.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
Favourites

1) The construction of the first set - Loved this from night 1 and it just works *so* well. There are tweaks I would make (Maybe not have 3 new songs in a row, for instance) but they're minor and I can think of downsides to every tweak. The fourpack to open is a fierce, fantastic statement of intent, (Which is indescribably better than the 4 NLOTH song opener of 2009...) the new stuff sounds great, the visuals are great, the theme is clear and the transitions, especially RBW into UTEOTW, are show highlights.

2) The openness of the rotation slots. Not quite shown off to full effect in NYC8 but it puts things in perspective to recall that of the 47 songs played this leg, a solid 25 or so are either fixed or in fixed rotations of only a few choices. That means something like twenty songs have passed through those rotation slots, which is crazy. From brand new SoI era stuff to R&H classics to October (!), the fact that these could be crowd-pleasers or bonus tracks adds a nice element of unpredictability, and is quite uncharacteristic of the band!

3) The glorious, monstrously loud, phenomenal return of Bullet the Blue Sky. HOO OO OO OOH

Least Favourite

1) The construction of the second set - mirroring my praise of the first set, the post-intermission set is just much less tightly done even allowing for the good flexibility in the rotations. The end of the set feels too much like a hits parade rather than anything more carefully structured; it remains totally unclear, for instance, why the band have decided to only play The Troubles sandwiched between hits when they play it at all; a dreadful idea. There doesn't really feel like a theme or a message here. This may in part be a consequence of the first set being so tight that they need to cram a lot of the 'essentials' into the last part but they also haven't really worked on the transitions much - and the one transition they clearly worked on extensively, from Bullet into Pride, remains the most cringeworthy part of the entire show and has hopefully now seen its last performance.

2) Bono's speeches - I'm not normally one of those people, but this tour must be the worst yet for these. One in the middle of I Will Follow, albeit short? Nope, breaks the momentum of the song. One after Iris- fine, gives the crowd a chance to take a break and sets the stage well for the new material.  One during Pride? Unnecessary, doesn't add much, goes on far too long. One before Streets? Totally unacceptable and the most annoying aspect of the show to me. Destroys the momentum going into U2's best intro and the worst transition into Streets they've ever done; normally a show highlight. And then ANOTHER after Streets, which is fine because it's the end of the show but makes the pre-Streets one feel even more redundant.

3) Neglect of the old rarities - None of the fixed songs are even close to rarities, which is a break from recent tours where some were locked in. I love the diversity of the rotations as mentioned before, but the overwhelming majority of them are either new songs or warhorses. The second song slot is really the only time you get this guaranteed. It would be nice to see more of them in there - not a lot more, not even every night, but in regular rotation. Some positive steps have occured here w/October and THBAO popping up.
I agree entirely about what you said about he first set. Besides some minor changes, I wouldn't change anything and the way it's choreographed is perfect. I have to agree about the 2nd set also. There are few newer songs played, and it's almost a greatest hits portion of the show. About Bono's speeches, just NEVER do it before streets, that's like a religious experience in a concert for most people. I don't mind a little speech by Bono here and there, but when it's 4-5 times a concert, it's a little much. It is a little disappointing, like you said, that there are no fixed rarities.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:13:32 PM by AltonDalton »

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
Favorites:
1) The Stage
2) The varying set lists
3) The Songs Of Innocence Songs

And 3 is modest, I could name at least twenty things, the end of UTEOW papers flying as the encore goes, the miracle, the encore, the E Stage, etc

Least:
1) Bono's distrust of American police
2) No POP/No Line
3) I was not brought up on stage to play guitar or hold the camera haha

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:02:16 PM »
Favorites:
1) The Stage
2) The varying set lists
3) The Songs Of Innocence Songs

And 3 is modest, I could name at least twenty things, the end of UTEOW papers flying as the encore goes, the miracle, the encore, the E Stage, etc

Least:
1) Bono's distrust of American police
2) No POP/No Line
3) I was not brought up on stage to play guitar or hold the camera haha
No Pop/no line bugs me. They have played a song from pop a grand total of 2 times in the last 3 tours

Offline trashbag

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Favorites
1) The whole first set. The opening four songs just kill it every time, and each second slot song works so well. And the narrative is so well-crafted and gets me no matter how many times I've listened into a mixlr or Periscope
2) The e-stage section. It's just a grand ol' time, and it really involves the audience a lot more than before. Sure, there have been some awkward moments (in the case of that one chick who "saved" Bono's life, REALLY awkward), but it's still a lot of fun!
3) The visuals. From Bono walking down Cedarwood Road to holding the Edge in the palm of his hand, this whole tour is such a spectacle, yet not overwhelmingly so like, say, Zoo TV.

Least favorites
1) I don't care what the band or anyone behind the scenes says, there ARE bad seats in the house. Nosebleed endzone seats are especially brutal, not only not being able to see the screen, but also the opposite stage. I don't know if this is the case in every concert, but I've seen videos taken from these seats, and the side screens meant for the endzones sometimes aren't even on! What's the point of having those screens if you aren't even going to take advantage of them every single time, especially for such a bad view? I know at my show, the screen at my end was glitching quite a bit as well. So yeah, not sure what they could do at this point, but at least keep the frickin' screens on!
2) Streets is awkward. I actually like the Mother & Child Reunion snippet, but as it's been repeated over and over again, Bono's speechifying definitely ruins the mood. The energy just isn't there anymore, and that's really sad.
3) The One singalong. The whole encore is kinda off, again that's not a new observation, but One especially is really disappointing to me. I get the idea, and it is nice that the crowd can keep it together (with one glaring exception), but I'd still rather have Bono singing. I'd prefer any ending where they walk on the catwalk and off the e-stage, like with ISHFWILF or 40.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
Very nice by the OP and a great topic here at the break. My list:

The Good
1. The Innocence Set totally works.
2. The entire floor and the vast majority of the lower bowl get a fantastic show
3. The new songs are being played extremely well and are going over great -- so much so that people are actually STANDING, which is becoming rare at shows.

The Bad
1. Losing the plot at the beginning of the second set. Some puzzling setlist choices and a lack of one or two album cuts for die-hard fans.
2. The return of Bullet with the rambling, incoherent BonoRap at the end.
3. Not utilizing the screens for fans on the extreme end of the arena when the band is on the other end. Why on earth is that screen ever OFF?

The bad stuff is even more frustrating because it could be so easily remedied. Take out M-Ways or Real Thing and replace it with Acrobat or Trying To Throw Your Arms. Take out Desire or Angel in favor of In God's Country or Running To Stand Still. Sub in a different rocker for Bullet, like Please or Dirty Day.

TURN THE SCREEN ON.

So, so easy to fix.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
Favorites
1) The whole first set. The opening four songs just kill it every time, and each second slot song works so well. And the narrative is so well-crafted and gets me no matter how many times I've listened into a mixlr or Periscope
2) The e-stage section. It's just a grand ol' time, and it really involves the audience a lot more than before. Sure, there have been some awkward moments (in the case of that one chick who "saved" Bono's life, REALLY awkward), but it's still a lot of fun!
3) The visuals. From Bono walking down Cedarwood Road to holding the Edge in the palm of his hand, this whole tour is such a spectacle, yet not overwhelmingly so like, say, Zoo TV.

Least favorites
1) I don't care what the band or anyone behind the scenes says, there ARE bad seats in the house. Nosebleed endzone seats are especially brutal, not only not being able to see the screen, but also the opposite stage. I don't know if this is the case in every concert, but I've seen videos taken from these seats, and the side screens meant for the endzones sometimes aren't even on! What's the point of having those screens if you aren't even going to take advantage of them every single time, especially for such a bad view? I know at my show, the screen at my end was glitching quite a bit as well. So yeah, not sure what they could do at this point, but at least keep the frickin' screens on!
2) Streets is awkward. I actually like the Mother & Child Reunion snippet, but as it's been repeated over and over again, Bono's speechifying definitely ruins the mood. The energy just isn't there anymore, and that's really sad.
3) The One singalong. The whole encore is kinda off, again that's not a new observation, but One especially is really disappointing to me. I get the idea, and it is nice that the crowd can keep it together (with one glaring exception), but I'd still rather have Bono singing. I'd prefer any ending where they walk on the catwalk and off the e-stage, like with ISHFWILF or 40.
Have to agree with the dislikes, the encore in general is the biggest problem in my opinion. And yes, it really bothers me that there are some sections that have terrible views of the concert. With that being said, the first set of the concert is perfect

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »
Very nice by the OP and a great topic here at the break. My list:

The Good
1. The Innocence Set totally works.
2. The entire floor and the vast majority of the lower bowl get a fantastic show
3. The new songs are being played extremely well and are going over great -- so much so that people are actually STANDING, which is becoming rare at shows.

The Bad
1. Losing the plot at the beginning of the second set. Some puzzling setlist choices and a lack of one or two album cuts for die-hard fans.
2. The return of Bullet with the rambling, incoherent BonoRap at the end.
3. Not utilizing the screens for fans on the extreme end of the arena when the band is on the other end. Why on earth is that screen ever OFF?

The bad stuff is even more frustrating because it could be so easily remedied. Take out M-Ways or Real Thing and replace it with Acrobat or Trying To Throw Your Arms. Take out Desire or Angel in favor of In God's Country or Running To Stand Still. Sub in a different rocker for Bullet, like Please or Dirty Day.

TURN THE SCREEN ON.

So, so easy to fix.
The problems are all very easy to fix, and the new songs and the first set are almost as perfect as they can be.

hrsan

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
Favorites:
The staging:  The songs go quite well with the visuals, plus the long stage gives GA fans better views.
The energy: I feel the warhorses are still being played with passion and vigor (at least at my show)
Rotation spots: Keeps the audience guessing and the surprises are more appreciated.

Not so favorites:
Too many warhorses and same rotational songs:  A bit more variety would be better.   
T Shirts: They're awful.
Set time:  They could play a little long with no opening act.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:26:03 PM by hrsan »

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
Favorites: The staging.  The songs go quite well with the visuals, plus the long stage gives GA fans better views.
The energy: I feel the warhorses are still being played with passion and vigor (at least at my show)
Rotation spots: Keeps the audience guessing and the surprises are more appreciated.
The
Not so favorites:
Too many warhorses and same rotational songs:  A bit more variety would be better.   
T Shirts: They're awful.
Set time:  They could play a little long with no opening act.
Yeah I thought when they announced no openening acts that meant they would play longer shows but that's not the case.

Offline zummo

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »
Good:
1) The first four songs killing it, regardless of number 2 (they are all equally great) on the joshua tree stage
2) somehow pride sounding fresh again, and the highest percentage of properly sung (ie not talking through it style) with or without you's in a long time
3) overall set variety as a downloader (lets face it, the variety is so spread out nobody really realizes it except the folks who went to 20+ shows over the entire leg)

Bad:
1) Mother and Child Reunion.... the streets organ patch was never meant to be talked over, its sacrilegious. Should just open the encore, much like it used to open a show
2) City of blinding lights. Wasted set spot regardless of where it is, but hey they wasted all that money on the tubes so they gotta use them. That should be something else
3) Jail, I dont like them in the screen. Annoys the heck out of me. Screen is cool, being in it, not so much

I must admit to, I am a big fan of Dallas playing chords under Edge during the invisible Solo

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »
Good:
1) The first four songs killing it, regardless of number 2 (they are all equally great) on the joshua tree stage
2) somehow pride sounding fresh again, and the highest percentage of properly sung (ie not talking through it style) with or without you's in a long time
3) overall set variety as a downloader (lets face it, the variety is so spread out nobody really realizes it except the folks who went to 20+ shows over the entire leg)

Bad:
1) Mother and Child Reunion.... the streets organ patch was never meant to be talked over, its sacrilegious. Should just open the encore, much like it used to open a show
2) City of blinding lights. Wasted set spot regardless of where it is, but hey they wasted all that money on the tubes so they gotta use them. That should be something else
3) Jail, I dont like them in the screen. Annoys the heck out of me. Screen is cool, being in it, not so much

I must admit to, I am a big fan of Dallas playing chords under Edge during the invisible Solo
It seems the streets transition is not too popular on here.....I don't like it either