Author Topic: Would you sacrifice a show in your town?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Would you sacrifice a show in your town?
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:07:25 AM »
So with this talk of 2nd legs in North America, a trip to Europe about to start, possible tours to Australia and maybe even South America, it got me thinking about a hypothetical.

All of these places have been visited multiple times.

Would you forego a show in your own city if it meant U2 would play somewhere they had never played?

In my case, would I be prepared to sacrifice a show in Melbourne if it meant the band could instead play a show in Singapore? Or Beijing? Or Vladivostok?

I don't get to go. I can't go to any other city as let's say I'm skint. But others do, others who have never seen them.

I've seen them multiple times, over multiple tours.

And I think I probably would. But I'd have to think about it before signing...

So - would you?

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
Re: Would you sacrifice a show in your town?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:36:32 AM »
They last played Liverpool in 1826 so the answer would be a definite NO from me.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
No, I wouldn't. It's not up to fans to determine this anyway.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
Unless U2 wants to come play my town's rodeo arena, it's a moot point for me. It actually would be a great venue for the Dalton Brothers. We have had some "name" country acts come, if you're into that (Sugarland, Lady Antebellum, Florida Georgia Line).

hrsan

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
It's a fantasy scenario that is equivalent to would you give up your tickets to someone who has never seen them before.   NYC has been played more times than anywhere else save perhaps Dublin and London.  If fans in Santiago or Singapore or Beijing got a show and NYC got one less show, even if it was the only one I could go to, I would gladly do so.  Now if I couldn't get tickets because someone who has not seen them could get them, I would be happy.  I would not be happy if it went to a scalper or a person going on their 17th show of the tour.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
In a fantasy situation, it's easy to be altruistic and say yes, I'd sacrifice, but I'm gonna be honest and say no. I probably wouldn't be that unselfish.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
Oh, wow. I wish I could be that nice, but NO WAY! I've only been to two shows ever, due to
a couple of sad reasons, but I was lucky enough to go to both of the Phoenix I&E shows. I will be devastated if they don't come back to Arizona for their next tour.

Offline InGodsCountry

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
I would gladly give up a show if it was a location they never played before or have played sparingly like their Sarajevo or South Africa shows. But if it was a logistical issue where they skip my geographical area (SF Bay Area) while playing elsewhere in North America, I would be bummed.

Blofeld

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
No chance.  Briscoe should give up a show in Melbourne for them to play my home town.  now that would be quite the thing.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's a fantasy scenario that is equivalent to would you give up your tickets to someone who has never seen them before.   NYC has been played more times than anywhere else save perhaps Dublin and London.  If fans in Santiago or Singapore or Beijing got a show and NYC got one less show, even if it was the only one I could go to, I would gladly do so.  Now if I couldn't get tickets because someone who has not seen them could get them, I would be happy.  I would not be happy if it went to a scalper or a person going on their 17th show of the tour.

In a fantasy situation, it's easy to be altruistic and say yes, I'd sacrifice, but I'm gonna be honest and say no. I probably wouldn't be that unselfish.

All of this to some extent.

Blofeld

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »
They last played Liverpool in 1826 so the answer would be a definite NO from me.

what did bono have to say about the slave trade?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »
Now of course, if u2 haven't played locally in your area, then you'd be the beneficiary of our awesomeness.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm too selfish when it cones to U2 for me to say yes.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:18 PM »
U2 have never played in my town and sadly never will :(

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
Great question. Reminds me of the old philosophy chestnut about taking one life to guarantee world peace. OK maybe not that drastic.  So to answer. . .

No, I would not give up my chance to see U2 for them to play in another city so others could see them. Have to be honest here.

Would I give up U2 playing my town (DC) so they would go to another less travelled venue and if I could travel to see them there. Of course.

Would I give up my only chance to see U2 so a friend of mine who has never/rarely seen them go. In a heartbeat.