Author Topic: I&E: Europa Leg  (Read 5674 times)

Offline markreed

• Numb
Re: I&E: Europa Leg
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
After hearing the @u2 podcast...

Iris>UTEOW is a 99% lock

- They may change some of the songs in 1-4, but realistically, they'll probably open up slot #2 for Electric C, OOC, Gloria, possibly New Years Day.
- They may add a song or two in the Cedarwood Road section
- Zooropa, Discotheque, Fly may come into the "Invisible>EBTTRT" segment
- Rest of it they will probably do some more jiggling around, but we'll only see big changes where they have four nights or more
- I wouldn't be surprised if Numb or Van Diemens Land appear in the E-stage
- I can't remember if they're playing Warsaw, but NYD will come out to play there if they are
- Miracle Drug is probably now extinct in the wild

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 12:19:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can see invisible getting jibbed as it is virtually unknown here...it may have been a song that got a bit of mileage in the US with it being on a chat show and American Football but here it is unknown really.

Same with OL.

Bullet can always be reworked into a more European theme....Hands will almost certainly get jibbed.

Maybe NYD, less likely but very much hoped for would be Please and probably one or two tracks that are surprises but not played every show.

That is my guess

I'm curious what you mean by Bullet perhaps needing a more 'European' theme for this leg.  Would you agree that the reworked lyrics are primarily about the 'experienced' Bono talking to his younger, innocent self?  You're probably right that Hands will/should get dropped.  A second set end of Bullet - Please - The Troubles - With or Without You would work really well in my opinion.

No idea about what the reworked lyrics to Bullet are as i haven't followed things that closely....i am aware of setlists but not so aware of arrangements.

I just assumed that they might pick up on a european theme for it....i may well be miles off.

I am hoping Invisible gets jibbed as it is a real dud for me....and they could use that slot for something much more interesting.

The 2nd half is where i would expect change most - it is also where the set lists i have seen look most horrible at times.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »
Can see invisible getting jibbed as it is virtually unknown here...it may have been a song that got a bit of mileage in the US with it being on a chat show and American Football but here it is unknown really.

Same with OL.

Bullet can always be reworked into a more European theme....Hands will almost certainly get jibbed.

Maybe NYD, less likely but very much hoped for would be Please and probably one or two tracks that are surprises but not played every show.

That is my guess

re invisible. You do understand the industry model of promoting new material through live shows in order to generate interest and sales? Lower music sales these days obviously, but Principal remains.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »

Same with OL.

That is my guess

re invisible. You do understand the industry model of promoting new material through live shows in order to generate interest and sales? Lower music sales these days obviously, but Principal remains.

no one is buying Invisible after hearing/seeing it live... it is just a dud as an tha says... and I say that as someone who is OK with the studio version (i.e. not great, but not terrible).  as for the presentation... the screen thing is a gimmick (albeit kinda cool at first) but the song just goes nowhere live.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
I read that Zooropa is being rehearsed and so is New Years Day for Europe.

Wow, U2 must be reading u2gigs and realizing that they haven't played the song of which the continent was inspired since 1993.

IMHO, The Fly, MW and EBTTRT should be on the chopping block.

?? They aren't playing The Fly and EBTTRT hasn't been played in Europe for fourteen years

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
Re: Invisible ... I think the song is borderline, and I went into my show really looking forward to it. The problem is, they pick that song to be the one with the video screen trick. I get it thematically (Invisible/now you see us/now you don't) but a stronger song would probably be a better time to play peek-a-boo with the audience. If they were on the b-stage rocking out to Invisible, it would probably go over better.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 04:22:35 PM »

Same with OL.

That is my guess

Yes, yes i do.

I feel they have better material than Invisible to try and do that with though.

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
The Fly would work better in that spot don't know why they haven't played it yet,also Ultraviolet needs to be brought back in a real highlight when played ,I can see them throwing in one or two new songs on this leg Bono has played 4 or 5 to a few journalists in the last few wks so they must be thinking about doing it ,the core of the show will probably not change but they might be tempted to experiment a bit more as they have the U.S. behind them now.

Offline StefanCorney93

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:48 PM »
This will probably get some attention later but I'm almost certain he means they looked at the hashtag and not the song. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 04:32:08 AM »
The Fly would work better in that spot don't know why they haven't played it yet,also Ultraviolet needs to be brought back in a real highlight when played ,I can see them throwing in one or two new songs on this leg Bono has played 4 or 5 to a few journalists in the last few wks so they must be thinking about doing it ,the core of the show will probably not change but they might be tempted to experiment a bit more as they have the U.S. behind them now.

They experimented in Europe a lot more during 360, they played Your Blue Room!

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 06:08:29 AM »
Today's countdown clip is a super-tease, with audio that sounds just like the intro to COBL but then Edge chimes in with something altogether more appropriate to this leg of the tour...

(I didn't think I'd get to obliquely reference one of my favourite songs in my first post!)

Hello.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »
Welcome to @U2 Conor!

Historically speaking, there's not much reason to expect many experiments. It's just not true that they tend to experiment more in Europe than the USA; what is true is that they tend to experiment on certain legs. The second leg usually sees the least experimentation whatever continent it's in, because they've nailed down the basic structure and aren't ready to change it much yet; they will make a few (4-5) changes at the very start but then stay pretty consistent throughout.

That said, they also don't normally play so many songs on the first leg, and they've been willing to do a fair few things differently, so the routine may well change!

strudelwithcream

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:22 AM »

Same with OL.

That is my guess

I'm curious what you mean by Bullet perhaps needing a more 'European' theme for this leg.  Would you agree that the reworked lyrics are primarily about the 'experienced' Bono talking to his younger, innocent self?  You're probably right that Hands will/should get dropped.  A second set end of Bullet - Please - The Troubles - With or Without You would work really well in my opinion.

No idea about what the reworked lyrics to Bullet are as i haven't followed things that closely....i am aware of setlists but not so aware of arrangements.

Good Lad!

Personally, I'm hoping for a European theme for Streets.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »

I reckon promotional performances on TV, interviews and advertising and the like generate interest in the new music rather than the tours. 

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

I reckon promotional performances on TV, interviews and advertising and the like generate interest in the new music rather than the tours. 

But it's been 12 months or so plus since invisible was released! and given it was a freebie for a time as well, it didn't make the album and probably delayed the release of SOI as a result of poor reception to that and ordinary love. Why promote it now? what exactly are they trying to promote...there's 4 songs on the album they haven't played or played much i'd rather hear before Invisible and Ordinary love.

Each to their own though, I just don't get why invisible is a set list staple at the minute