Author Topic: Streets....is it the most overrated U2 song ever?  (Read 9235 times)

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
Re: Streets....is it the most overrated U2 song ever?
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This tour it actually is but only because of all the crap bono says before it.  It remains to this day the most epic, inspiring and intense song I have ever heard live and that being in Salt lake city on the Elevation tour.  Will never forget that experience.

Yeah, all that crap about preventing babies from dying of AIDS. Bono's a terrible person, blah blah blah etc. Anyway...

I wasn't going to comment on this thread at all because the person who began it does not wish to speak to me ever again

You didn't take that seriously did you?

You are one of my favourite posters to read on here, largely because you can be so short at times and very blunt.

You may have been on the receiving end of me being sarcastic when bevvied up, when sometines what seems funny at the time may not be easy to understand for others.

Falling out with strangers on the internet really isn't something i wish to do!

So whilst i may indeed end up disagreeing with you at times and exchanging the odd barb i apologise if you thought i meant what i said.

Have you been upsetting the ladies again an tha?  Shame on you!

I have sent her some flowers and promised i won't roll in late and bevvied up again....

Hm. I have yet to receive these alleged flowers. But I shall wait as long as it takes...

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
This tour it actually is but only because of all the crap bono says before it.  It remains to this day the most epic, inspiring and intense song I have ever heard live and that being in Salt lake city on the Elevation tour.  Will never forget that experience.

Yeah, all that crap about preventing babies from dying of AIDS. Bono's a terrible person, blah blah blah etc. Anyway...

I wasn't going to comment on this thread at all because the person who began it does not wish to speak to me ever again, but I wanted to address being tired of certain songs. For me, it's "Pride." I could live my entire life without ever hearing that song again. Not because it isn't great, but because I'm nearly 50 and I've been hearing it for most of my life, and after a while enough is enough. But it turns out that "Pride" is my 14-year-old son's favorite song. He was hoping against hope that the guys would play it at the show we saw together. I knew they would, but I didn't tell him. Well, I thought the kid was gonna float right up to the ceiling when he heard the opening chords. He was so HAPPY. For him, it's a brand new song. He's a kid with a fairly wide-ranging knowledge of music, and he knows that U2's greatness lies in their sounding like no one else on earth. That song picked him up and rang him like a bell. It's a shame that we have to ever lose that feeling, but that's life. It's not that the songs are overrated, it's that some of us are old.

Very cool to read that about your son!  My boy is 12 and Invisible is his favorite song and getting to experience it live together was amazing.   Back on topic with streets being overrated or not,  I called Bono's speech before it on this tour crap, sorry the message is not,  but the timing is.  For me it brought the joy and experience of streets down to just good.  Also never called Bono a terrible person.   I find his passion and conviction to help others sincere and important,  however a better place and time is all I'm asking for, not right before the best live song ever by anyone.

you got it exactly right.  a lot of people here cannot take any criticism lightly and with any humor.

And a lot of people here can only find things to criticize, and they're not particularly funny themselves. But if you want, I can make a list of all the U2 stuff I don't like. Starting with about 80% of Rattle and Hum, a few of Bono's hats... better now?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2015, 03:08:40 AM »

I wasn't going to comment on this thread at all because the person who began it does not wish to speak to me ever again

You didn't take that seriously did you?

You are one of my favourite posters to read on here, largely because you can be so short at times and very blunt.

You may have been on the receiving end of me being sarcastic when bevvied up, when sometines what seems funny at the time may not be easy to understand for others.

Falling out with strangers on the internet really isn't something i wish to do!

So whilst i may indeed end up disagreeing with you at times and exchanging the odd barb i apologise if you thought i meant what i said.

Have you been upsetting the ladies again an tha?  Shame on you!

I have sent her some flowers and promised i won't roll in late and bevvied up again....

Hm. I have yet to receive these alleged flowers. But I shall wait as long as it takes...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:26:45 AM by an tha »

strudelwithcream

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2015, 03:36:41 AM »
^ why have you posted a picture of Elvis Costello?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2015, 03:50:42 AM »
^ why have you posted a picture of Elvis Costello?

Ha! Elvis Costello would never make a song as bad as The Sweetest Thing

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
The first time I heard Streets, I got the shivers, the second, I burst into tears. It was still just the album. It was March of 87.  I remember this. When I first experienced it live, 5 yrs later, I finally figured out why. I just stood there stunned, overwhelmed: they GET this. They GET this. They get....US. In a way many American musicians couldn't capture us, this country. In that intro, and the rest of the song...the drive....the relentless energy...the simple, glowing, austere, crystalline beauty of the riff, floating ethereally over everything beneath....big skies, raging waters, the harshness of the land and the people in the words, the cracked hopes, the glory, the folly, the shame, the failures, and now, Ta-Nahesi Coates's Dreamers gnashing their teeth in rage. All the schizophrenic juxtapositions, all that we were, and are, and could be again: we, in perpetual war with ourselves, and the dynamism that flows from that:I don't know freakin' how, but they GET it.

That's what Streets has always been for me. "Take America and put it through your Amplifier." All that twisted beauty, grand and terrible.

[Notice I said America, NOT the United States. I am aware that in this century, the two have torn apart to become seperate entities. As in, "he/she is a United Statesian." we don't hear the term here, but I've read it's becoming a saying elsewhere. Some  might consider that an insult but I am grateful. I take it as a good sign: that "America", our good self, the self the world would rather see us be, is still languishing out there forlorn but not broken,and that it is still retrievable, a viable concern. That is what I feel every time I hear these Europeans unleash it on us every night; THEY beleive and have always, so we can too; we can fight to get it back....]

iehomecoming

« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
Looks like we live in the same county, but the US I live in must exist in a parallel universe. It's far from the mopey gloom ridden country you describe.

It's U2's rendition of Streets that has changed, last time they did the song justice was on the Elevation tour.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
Looks like we live in the same county, but the US I live in must exist in a parallel universe. It's far from the mopey gloom ridden country you describe.

most of us don't live in gloomy countries provided we don't read the 'news.' 

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Streets live is euphoric. It lost its way with the flags, and the speeches, but by the looks of things is back to it's best recently (with that Zooropa lead in!). Live on Rattle and Hum and on the Slane DVD it is up there with the best, ever.

iehomecoming

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Must suck to be miserable all the time.  There's rarely anything positive in the news but, to wallow in the misery of situations that you can't do anything about helps no one.  But back to Streets.....

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
Oh, I wasn't speaking of being miserable, which I'm not. I have to forgo the news at times for the sake of mental health! It's dangerous to be ignorant, though... I was speaking of a different America existing today than the one in which Streets and JT were written. Where true patriotism is impossible, in the traditional sense (but someone will have to discover it soon, or we are lost).

I was thinking of the lyrics of IGC, where Bono "stands with the [European] sons of Cain" looking at America, "burned by the fire of love," (how wonderfully naive, that's why I love him, 28 yrs on he still believes we're redeemable, even when some of  us look at our political situation and have doubts) all the while accurately exposing all our contradications on the rest of JT. Unfortunately, the contradications were spiritual a lot of them then. But no more. I wonder, would anyone ever be able to write an album like that again?

It would be a lot harder to be "burned by the fire of love" for a country that has formally enshrined torture into law, has a place like Gitmo and an institution like Homeland Security that abuses its usefulness by spying on its own people. Once,  dissenters like Sakharov were tortured in Russia and escaped to the US. Now, US dissenters like Snowden languish in Russia rather then return to a dubious fate here! Like the tables have been turned.  You know it's bad when someone is content to live in a place with a leader like Putin at the helm! Strange ain't it?

That's what I mean. Excuse political OT.

iehomecoming

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
Yeah, parallel universe for sure.

Or maybe the naivete of youth made you think things were different than you thought they were at the time.

The USA. "same as it ever was", like it or lump it. I like it.

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
Not even close. My vote would be for Beautiful Day or City of Blinding Lights.