Author Topic: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...  (Read 6941 times)

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
Re: I'm not so sure this Tour is going to sell out...
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »
i think the tour will sell out regardless of the credit crunch. i brought tickets last week to see van morrison at the royal albert hall. now i got the cheapest ticket,
 which is 39 but the top price was 200!!!!!!! with out booking fee. and they have all gone. so if you where to buy two i would cost you in dollors $576. :o

so if van can do it i'm sure u2 can. but not for 200 please!!!

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
The tour will certainly sell out, especially due to the secondary market.  U2 will be the only sure thing touts can hang their hats on this year.  We will soon be complaining that all the good tickets went to the brokers.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »
In North America, it appears U2 will be going for some extremely large numbers per stadium show if all the rumors are correct. Were talking an average of 70,000 people per show. There may be several markets where the shows do not sellout until a week or a day before the show. 70,000 people is a lot for markets like San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, Minneapolis, Detroit, Columbus Ohio, Atlanta, and Denver.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
The economic climate is only going to get worse. Unemployment in the US will be close to 10%
by the time the tour starts. Europe will be worse.

A lot of the "Joe 6 packs" who would help fill the stadiums will simply be removed from the demand mix.

These shows won't sell out, but fans with savings (meaning almost nobody) will be able
to get some great deals. Resellers/brokers are going to lose a lot of money this summer.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 12:17:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The economic climate is only going to get worse. Unemployment in the US will be close to 10%
by the time the tour starts. Europe will be worse.

A lot of the "Joe 6 packs" who would help fill the stadiums will simply be removed from the demand mix.

These shows won't sell out, but fans with savings (meaning almost nobody) will be able
to get some great deals. Resellers/brokers are going to lose a lot of money this summer.

There are well aware of the economic climate and that is one reason why they have expanded the number of seats available in the stadium by playing in the round. The greater supply of tickets allows them to reduce the individual ticket price throughout the majority of the stadium. At the same time, U2's hardcore community will still be gunning for the best tickets in the house. Demand from that group is what you call inelastic, meaning that it is not heavily impacted by price. Their adjusting the price levels so that everyone who wants to go to the show will be able to. The upper part of the 2nd tier may have tickets as low as $20 dollars. Movie sales which are now $10 dollars a ticket are up despite the economic conditions. The fact is, people still spend money on entertainment in a recession provided that its relatively inexpensive or they view it as something that is very special. The movie industry has been known to be recession proof.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
Unemployment is at a 26 year high of 8.1% in the US. Last month it was 7.4% And a year ago it was 4.7%. The trend is not your friend.

This is not a typical "recession." It's already 15 months old, making 2001, 1987, and 1991 look like child's play.

This economy is a whole new ballgame.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »
But I would prefer if the tour sells out slowly this time. No mad panic like last time.
Maybe dates sell out in 2 or 3 days rather than 2 or 3 minutes!!

I would prefer that too!  It would give me more time to think of something good to say when I'm calling in at work so I can go get some U2 tickets! 

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 04:39:09 AM »
I think the US leg will finish much earlier than mid december, from the temperture point of view !
 I see them wrapping up the US leg by late October.

The Joshua Tree tour in the USA started in mid September and ended December 20, 1987 outdoors in Arizona. U2 played outdoor stadiums in Canada in early October on the Joshua Tree Tour. ZOO TV Outside Broadcast with all shows in outdoor stadiums started in mid August and did not end until November 12 in Las Vegas.

There are all kinds of cities in the United States they you can play in November and December outdoors like:

San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Atlanta
Columbia South Carolina
Tampa
Miami
Birmingham
Austin
San Antonio
Las Vegas

Plus the following cities have INDOOR Football Stadiums:

Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Minneapolis
Detroit
St. Louis
Indianopolis

Thats 22 cities that have stadiums and conditions that allow for a show in December.

I think Phoenix, New Orleans, and Dallas (with the new stadium) all have indoor stadiums as well. I'm about a 3 hour drive from Dallas, so I'd really like it if they played there. (There's no chance they would play a stadium near where I live...Arena? Possibly.)

The new Dallas stadium is technically in Arlington. :D ..& well technically it IS indoor, but it is going to have a retractable roof.. I hope they close it for us.  :-\ When I saw U2 at the ol' Texas Stadium, it was October & the roof of course had a big hole in it, & it was chilly.   heck, it was kind of chilly when I saw them in May '97 at the Cotton Bowl (wasn't ThAT a weird choice of venues?!). :P . I don't think the new stadium is scheduled to be opened until June. We're in luck if it's going to be held there though, that new stadium is reportedly going to hold up to 100,000 people, there's no way they'll sell it out!!  ;D

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
Unemployment is at a 26 year high of 8.1% in the US. Last month it was 7.4% And a year ago it was 4.7%. The trend is not your friend.

This is not a typical "recession." It's already 15 months old, making 2001, 1987, and 1991 look like child's play.

This economy is a whole new ballgame.

I'm sure its going to be tough, but then again, U2 don't tour every year. Lets not forget that the Police had their huge Synchronicity Tour(stadiums and arena's) back in 1983 when unemployment was over 9%. The Who did 20 to 30 stadium shows in 1982 when the unemployment rate was at 10.8%.

I agree, these are the toughest economic conditions since 1982-1983 or 1975. Those are the only years since the 1930s when the monthly unemployment rate was above 8%. Part of the reason the tour has been booked and structured in this way is a reaction to the economy. By puting the stage in the middle of the field, you can increase the supply of tickets and keep the average price down. This makes it easier for more people to go to the show. Another important factor is limiting the first leg to 20 shows. The 2nd North American leg won't happen until 7 months after the first one is finished instead of the usual 3 or 4 months.

But no one really knows how things will go until shows are put on sale and the band go through the tour. Its unlikely many shows will sellout completely in the first days and weeks given that the average capacity will probably be around 60,000 or 70,000 per show. But I think eventually most shows will sellout or be nearly completely full.