Author Topic: Unbelievable version of streets  (Read 1173 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: Unbelievable version of streets
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fantastic version but I'll take the Pop Heart version over it. "then there will be no time for sorrow" is epic.

anyone have a link to this version?  or is that the one from the Please EP (Rotterdam)?

I love the techno version.

Except when Bono started chanting "Sarajevo" at the end of Streets while playing in Santiago. D'oh!

wasn't it the other way around?

Nope (I was at the Sarajevo show and would've noticed). But I just pulled up this video of the Chile show, and it looks like they redubbed it for TV (hence the wide shot while he was messing up):

strudelwithcream

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Fantastic version but I'll take the Pop Heart version over it. "then there will be no time for sorrow" is epic.

anyone have a link to this version?  or is that the one from the Please EP (Rotterdam)?

Except when Bono started chanting "Sarajevo" at the end of Streets while playing in Santiago. D'oh!

wasn't it the other way around?

Nope (I was at the Sarajevo show and would've noticed). But I just pulled up this video of the Chile show, and it looks like they redubbed it for TV (hence the wide shot while he was messing up):

well Sarajevo and Santiago do sound similar so maybe people just misheard.  that sounds more plausible than Bono screwing up.  Shirley?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 03:31:13 PM »
well Sarajevo and Santiago do sound similar so maybe people just misheard.  that sounds more plausible than Bono screwing up.  Shirley?

No, he definitely screwed up and said "Sarajevo" (like in R&H when Bono said that "thirteen" people died on the day they performed SBS when it was really eleven, which is why they blurred the picture and overdubbed the correct number).

It happens.

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »

Yes it's the Rotterdam version but most versions during the first few legs included that line. That outtro along with the visuals on the screen was pretty awesome.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
There has never been a bad version of Streets. As soon as that organ starts, then the guitar, well...it's heaven isn't it? YES. I love the long intro versions the best. Brings tears every time.
Couldn't be more true

strudelwithcream

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »

Yes it's the Rotterdam version but most versions during the first few legs included that line. That outtro along with the visuals on the screen was pretty awesome.

I liked the way that version incorporated yet another Pop song.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »

Yes. I was at the DC Popmart show on Memorial Day, 1997, and it ended with "Then there will be no pain or sorrow/Then there will be no time of shame/Then there will be no time (the last line repeated many times until a final "No time!" corresponding with the imagery of the flying dove/Holy Spirit). It was also the first time I heard Bono change the "Streets" lyrics to "I'll show you a place/It's high/It's high," and that was another feature I liked.

Smee

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
I really didnt like the Popmart versions of Streets. But..each to their own eh :)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
I really didnt like the Popmart versions of Streets. But..each to their own eh :)

Anyone who likes the Mexico version is tone deaf. It's the most pi*s-poor attempt at hitting notes I have ever heard from Bono. Other than that one, though, the Popmart renditions were great in that they actually changed the song a bit (which they hadn't done before or after).

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:41:12 PM by The Exile »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 02:47:44 PM »
Well you are all pretty much mistaken, I think you'll find that the best live version of streets is right here

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
Well you are all pretty much mistaken, I think you'll find that the best live version of streets is right here

wow.  That might be the craziest, most bizarre cover in history.  And I actually like PSB!   :o

strudelwithcream

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »

No he was definitely chanting "Santiago".  I just watched the youtube vid.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »

that was...........interesting  :o