Author Topic: U2 on cover Q Magazine  (Read 14138 times)

iehomecoming

Re: U2 on cover Q Magazine
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »
SOI was hardly torn apart. But then again that is actually a good album.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
New songs they mention are:
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Much More Better (acoustic....deals with Bono's accident.....he sings the line "I only sing to prove that I'm here)

Songs sound vibrant and irrestible according to the interviewer.

Those are all terrible titles--looking like some strong contenders with "Song For Someone" for the title of the worst U2 song name ever. What's the deal, U2? "Much More Better" doesn't even make any sense.

Waffles

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- Much More Better (acoustic....deals with Bono's accident.....he sings the line "I only sing to prove that I'm here)

Those are all terrible titles--looking like some strong contenders with "Song For Someone" for the title of the worst U2 song name ever. What's the deal, U2? "Much More Better" doesn't even make any sense.

Read yourself the names on any other album and ask yourself if you think the songs would be good, going in blind. It's the same thing. You can't put a sound to a name. I trust that these songs are amazing, especially if adam Scott thinks so. Would you expect a song called "bad" to be one of their best?

Offline lemonPOP

• Refugee
  • Love is a temple
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
- Civilisation

- Instrument Flying

Lets hope 'civilisation' falls into The Troubles camp of songs with titles that send a shudder down you at how horrible the song could be but is actually a belter rather than the Peace on Earth camp....

The troubles is amazing.  I think U2 understand and found what there looking for finally with soi and I'm confident it will be new and refreshing.   The 90's won't happen again but it shouldn't.   They actually are moving forward and that's a good thing.  Good point though.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying

Read yourself the names on any other album and ask yourself if you think the songs would be good, going in blind. It's the same thing. You can't put a sound to a name. I trust that these songs are amazing, especially if adam Scott thinks so. Would you expect a song called "bad" to be one of their best?

I agree they've had some clunkers in the past, but "Instrument Flying" and "Much More Better" are kind of on a different level. Don't see what's wrong with the name "Bad", it's a very simple and broad name. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is also a terrible name.

Also, I'll add that it's not that I necessarily think they couldn't create a great piece of music with a terrible name, it's just that songs that are well named sort of demand a level of respect, and songs that have terrible names make the music harder to respect. It's a somewhat minor detail, but it's sort of a part of the songwriting, in my view. The name contributes to whether the songwriting is good. I'm sure many will find that preposterous, but that's how I see it.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 03:29:19 AM »
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying

I agree with you generally and of course you cant put a sound to a name but a song called The Troubles from u2 does make you think that it is going to be a song about The Troubles in Ireland....

Peace on Earth for example was exactly the kind of sickly sh**e the title suggested it it might be....

There are just some obvious exceptions to your valid point generally potential subject matter where Bono might well be in preaching mode or world saving mode - civilisation sounds like it could be one.......but then it could be like The Troubles and not about what you might think and be great.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »
Maybe these are just working titles and will change. I do agree that a song title matters. It's like you probably wouldn't be drawn to a book with an unattractive cover, unfortunate maybe but that's the way it is.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 06:05:05 AM »
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying

I agree they've had some clunkers in the past, but "Instrument Flying" and "Much More Better" are kind of on a different level. Don't see what's wrong with the name "Bad", it's a very simple and broad name. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is also a terrible name.

Also, I'll add that it's not that I necessarily think they couldn't create a great piece of music with a terrible name, it's just that songs that are well named sort of demand a level of respect, and songs that have terrible names make the music harder to respect. It's a somewhat minor detail, but it's sort of a part of the songwriting, in my view. The name contributes to whether the songwriting is good. I'm sure many will find that preposterous, but that's how I see it.

Not sure if speculating about future song titles is relevant. I mean, if these songs titles (just to name a few)were to drop today, and we didn't have the context or heard one note, what would we say?

- The Fly
- Zoo Station
- Lemon
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock???

You simply can't start judging a song on the title alone. Same with an album.

I remember the first time I read in RS magazine back in the day that the upcoming U2 album would be called "The Joshua Tree", me and my friends were like, WTF? What the hell is this s**t title?

Then it came out, and the title didn't matter anymore. A classic for all-times had been given to us... :-)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »
For me most titles are irrelevant and you can't begin to try and 2nd guess a sound from a title...

But with certain titles and u2 apprehension abounds.

Offline runnyjumpy

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »
I agree that I was *deeply* apprehensive when we started hearing 'The Troubles' as a song name bandied around. And I was wrong!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
any scans?

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
any scans?

I will upload as soon as I get a physical copy if we don't see it digitally first.

Offline runnyjumpy

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Adam looks apprehensive.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
So we now have 6 completed songs including red flag day and morning after innocence

I count 7 "completed" songs (or at least 7 mentioned titles)

1. The Morning After Innocence
2. Red Flag Day
3. Instrument Flying
4. Get Out of Your Own Way
5. Much More Better
6. The Little Things That Give You Away
7. Civilization

None of those titles seem so horrible to me. "Instrument Flying" sounds like a title U2 uses for a demo or untitled song. Have you seen the songs titles on "Original Soundtracks 1"? They're just as odd (or more odd) as these are. (And "Zooropa" isn't even a real word).

I don't care about the songs titles- especially since these haven't been released.