Author Topic: U2 on cover Q Magazine  (Read 14128 times)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
Re: U2 on cover Q Magazine
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me most titles are irrelevant and you can't begin to try and 2nd guess a sound from a title...

But with certain titles and u2 apprehension abounds.

Truth.  For example I'm glad they scrapped the working titles 'Long Road to the Nobel', 'Don't Stop Campaigning' and 'One More (Donation) Just For Grins'.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
I wonder if Adam Scott heard any of those songs. Probably.

3:33, when the numbers fell of the clock face
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:02:37 PM by ultravioletlight »

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
any scans?

I will upload as soon as I get a physical copy if we don't see it digitally first.

Kango - by chance do you know if the subscribers version is any different then the ones you buy in the shops? I've got scans from a guy who has a subscription and I'm wondering if there are extras thrown in.

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »

Scans by Alan Ivory
They are a little fuzzy. Maybe Kango can get better scans when he gets his copy.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
I read it. Good stuff. Continued talks of relevancy. Larry hates NLOTH and (unfortunately for this forum) POP.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 03:12:17 AM »
any scans?

I will upload as soon as I get a physical copy if we don't see it digitally first.

Kango - by chance do you know if the subscribers version is any different then the ones you buy in the shops? I've got scans from a guy who has a subscription and I'm wondering if there are extras thrown in.

It will be the same.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 03:56:26 AM »
For me most titles are irrelevant and you can't begin to try and 2nd guess a sound from a title...

Truth.  For example I'm glad they scrapped the working titles 'Long Road to the Nobel', 'Don't Stop Campaigning' and 'One More (Donation) Just For Grins'.

And thankfully they also got rid of:

Apple (We love you)
Another Grammy Please
Song for MOR Radio
Tax Efficiency
A weeks wage for a gig ticket

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »
Standout quote from Larry:
"We've learned. We'll never spend 4 1/2 years writing and recording an album again. Those days are gone."

We shall see......

Offline Fastcars12

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
New songs they mention are:
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Much More Better (acoustic....deals with Bono's accident.....he sings the line "I only sing to prove that I'm here)

Songs sound vibrant and irrestible according to the interviewer.

Those are all terrible titles--looking like some strong contenders with "Song For Someone" for the title of the worst U2 song name ever. What's the deal, U2? "Much More Better" doesn't even make any sense.

Read yourself the names on any other album and ask yourself if you think the songs would be good, going in blind. It's the same thing. You can't put a sound to a name. I trust that these songs are amazing, especially if adam Scott thinks so. Would you expect a song called "bad" to be one of their best?

I agree they've had some clunkers in the past, but "Instrument Flying" and "Much More Better" are kind of on a different level. Don't see what's wrong with the name "Bad", it's a very simple and broad name. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is also a terrible name.

Also, I'll add that it's not that I necessarily think they couldn't create a great piece of music with a terrible name, it's just that songs that are well named sort of demand a level of respect, and songs that have terrible names make the music harder to respect. It's a somewhat minor detail, but it's sort of a part of the songwriting, in my view. The name contributes to whether the songwriting is good. I'm sure many will find that preposterous, but that's how I see it.

Not sure if speculating about future song titles is relevant. I mean, if these songs titles (just to name a few)were to drop today, and we didn't have the context or heard one note, what would we say?

- The Fly
- Zoo Station
- Lemon
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock???

You simply can't start judging a song on the title alone. Same with an album.

I remember the first time I read in RS magazine back in the day that the upcoming U2 album would be called "The Joshua Tree", me and my friends were like, WTF? What the hell is this s**t title?

Then it came out, and the title didn't matter anymore. A classic for all-times had been given to us... :-)
Zoo station is an awesome song title. Song for someone isn't bad either (as someone else posted). I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight on the other hand, I'll concede that one.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 11:34:04 AM »
New songs they mention are:
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Much More Better (acoustic....deals with Bono's accident.....he sings the line "I only sing to prove that I'm here)

Songs sound vibrant and irrestible according to the interviewer.

Those are all terrible titles--looking like some strong contenders with "Song For Someone" for the title of the worst U2 song name ever. What's the deal, U2? "Much More Better" doesn't even make any sense.

Read yourself the names on any other album and ask yourself if you think the songs would be good, going in blind. It's the same thing. You can't put a sound to a name. I trust that these songs are amazing, especially if adam Scott thinks so. Would you expect a song called "bad" to be one of their best?

I agree they've had some clunkers in the past, but "Instrument Flying" and "Much More Better" are kind of on a different level. Don't see what's wrong with the name "Bad", it's a very simple and broad name. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is also a terrible name.

Also, I'll add that it's not that I necessarily think they couldn't create a great piece of music with a terrible name, it's just that songs that are well named sort of demand a level of respect, and songs that have terrible names make the music harder to respect. It's a somewhat minor detail, but it's sort of a part of the songwriting, in my view. The name contributes to whether the songwriting is good. I'm sure many will find that preposterous, but that's how I see it.

Not sure if speculating about future song titles is relevant. I mean, if these songs titles (just to name a few)were to drop today, and we didn't have the context or heard one note, what would we say?

- The Fly
- Zoo Station
- Lemon
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock???

You simply can't start judging a song on the title alone. Same with an album.

I remember the first time I read in RS magazine back in the day that the upcoming U2 album would be called "The Joshua Tree", me and my friends were like, WTF? What the hell is this s**t title?

Then it came out, and the title didn't matter anymore. A classic for all-times had been given to us... :-)
Zoo station is an awesome song title. Song for someone isn't bad either (as someone else posted). I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight on the other hand, I'll concede that one.

I find "Song For Someone" kind of impossible to take seriously as I just think of The Beautiful South's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login!

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »

And thankfully they also got rid of:

Apple (We love you)
Another Grammy Please
Song for MOR Radio
Tax Efficiency
A weeks wage for a gig ticket

;D :o 8)

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
I bought song for whoever in 1989 and was very disappointed when it only got to no 2 in the UK charts

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
"My philosophy is if you can count to four you can play any U2 bassline." - Adam

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
I read it. Good stuff. Continued talks of relevancy. Larry hates NLOTH and (unfortunately for this forum) POP.

I remember in the run-up to the NLOTH release, Larry said to Q magazine that he thought NLOTH included some of their best ever work and that he was "not towing the party line" in saying that. So he was either being dishonest in one of these interviews, or has had a pretty spectacular change of opinion over the last few years.

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 04:20:50 PM »

I remember in the run-up to the NLOTH release, Larry said to Q magazine that he thought NLOTH included some of their best ever work and that he was "not towing the party line" in saying that. So he was either being dishonest in one of these interviews, or has had a pretty spectacular change of opinion over the last few years.

Possibility that he had a change of heart because the album didn't do as well with the fans. He probably gave it a good listen and found its flaws.