Author Topic: U2 on cover Q Magazine  (Read 14120 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: U2 on cover Q Magazine
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
I often think Larry is the one who holds u2 back musically the most. He has this rep for being no nonsense Larry and all that and I reckon he is more inclined to be the one pushing against the  experimental stuff....he hasn't changed his haircut in 30 years and I don't think he wants the music to change much either.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I often think Larry is the one who holds u2 back musically the most. He has this rep for being no nonsense Larry and all that and I reckon he is more inclined to be the one pushing against the  experimental stuff....he hasn't changed his haircut in 30 years and I don't think he wants the music to change much either.
I disagree completely.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 01:02:33 AM »

He's not a big fan of Zooropa, Original Soundtracks, or Pop so I think you're spot on.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »
I disagree completely.
Well as said above he dislikes Passengers, Pop and Zooropa it would seem which I think it is fair to say are the more experimental records in the bands cannon and i recall he was anti the stuff Bono and Edge brought to the table for the AB sessions which was influenced by electronica, dance and industrial... The hats v haircuts stuff.....

Offline Poswatz

• Stateless
  • Sadie got off on the 48th floor... so did I.
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
For me most titles are irrelevant and you can't begin to try and 2nd guess a sound from a title...

But with certain titles and u2 apprehension abounds.

Truth.  For example I'm glad they scrapped the working titles 'Long Road to the Nobel', 'Don't Stop Campaigning' and 'One More (Donation) Just For Grins'.

And thankfully they also got rid of:

Apple (We love you)
Another Grammy Please
Song for MOR Radio
Tax Efficiency
A weeks wage for a gig ticket

Don't forget "Gunning for an EGOT"

macfoley

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
Got the mag, on the tour it does say it will go into next year.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »

1000000000000000% correct. You took the words directly out of my mouth. There is a very OCD quality to him and significant rigidity that's for sure. Didn't he also wear the hoop earring with the dangling cross for 30 years as well!!?? If it was up to Larry, they should have made  the WAR record 13 times over!!

Waffles

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

1000000000000000% correct. You took the words directly out of my mouth. There is a very OCD quality to him and significant rigidity that's for sure. Didn't he also wear the hoop earring with the dangling cross for 30 years as well!!?? If it was up to Larry, they should have made  the WAR record 13 times over!!

Yeah so larry may be resistant. But I do think he is trying more to be out of his comfort. He's used electronic drums all over the last record. Invisible is an example of him changing. And we all agree SOI is a decent album. So I'm happy with his current direction. And he is sporting a new haircut this tour

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »
For me most titles are irrelevant and you can't begin to try and 2nd guess a sound from a title...

But with certain titles and u2 apprehension abounds.

Truth.  For example I'm glad they scrapped the working titles 'Long Road to the Nobel', 'Don't Stop Campaigning' and 'One More (Donation) Just For Grins'.

And thankfully they also got rid of:

Apple (We love you)
Another Grammy Please
Song for MOR Radio
Tax Efficiency
A weeks wage for a gig ticket

Don't forget "Gunning for an EGOT"

Hah!  That should be an album title!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:43:51 PM by SlyDanner »

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
I disagree completely.
Well as said above he dislikes Passengers, Pop and Zooropa it would seem which I think it is fair to say are the more experimental records in the bands cannon and i recall he was anti the stuff Bono and Edge brought to the table for the AB sessions which was influenced by electronica, dance and industrial... The hats v haircuts stuff.....

I know I've read his views on Pop, but I'm shocked to find out he doesn't like Zooropa (my 2nd fav U2 album). His work on "Stay" and "Daddy's Gonna Pay..." are among his best, especially "Stay" which I think might be my favorite drumming on a U2 track.

He didn't have anything bad to say about Zooropa on the ep of UTU2TM when they had a good discussion over it.

Offline Groovy

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 05:37:11 AM »
This is true. A lot of U2's great music has come out of this friction between Larry's conservatism and the rest, but I agree he is holding them back. Especially when they make albums. His B.S. detector stuff is needed the rest of the time though...

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:57 AM »
I disagree completely.
wow have you ever anything positive too say nag nag nag it's never ending

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
I disagree completely.
wow have you ever anything positive too say nag nag nag it's never ending

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There you go.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:57:32 AM by an tha »

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
In that article, Larry not happy with SOI release "stunt".

macfoley

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
In that article, Larry not happy with SOI release "stunt".

I read in the Q article that also he is not happy with the way the album sounds either.