Author Topic: U2 on cover Q Magazine  (Read 14125 times)

Waffles

Re: U2 on cover Q Magazine
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
What do you guys want? Do you think larry should be kicked out LOLOLOLOL. It's his personality and opinions. He's obsessed with older music like elvis. I doubt he listens to hip hop.

Offline jordan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
IIRC, Larry once said he wanted to go back and "finish" pop, which implies that must like the core songs somewhat.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What do you guys want? Do you think larry should be kicked out LOLOLOLOL. It's his personality and opinions. He's obsessed with older music like elvis. I doubt he listens to hip hop.

Yep we all want Larry kicked out of the band. /s

In reality he does seem to be the most grounded band member and I'm sure because of that he's prevented us from hearing some more experimental or interesting tunes from the band. On the flip-side, I'm sure he's also prevented us from hearing some way-out-there, weird, pretentious crap.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »
2 funniest quotes from this article:

1. "The Irish rockers teamed up with bosses at tech giant Apple to make Songs of Innocence available for free download to half a billion users, but the move almost backfired when a glitch meant the record was automatically downloaded to some clients' playlists."

Hilarious - they are trying to say it was a mistake ('glitch') which implies it was not intentional.  And it only happened to 'some clients'.  Welcome to U2's alternate reality universe.

2. "U2 frontman Bono also repeated his belief the rockers made mistakes in the way they handled the album release, adding, "Giving people a free gift, it's hard to get it wrong. But we could have explained the intention behind it and we didn't. That was a big mistake."

Umm, Bono... the reason you did not explain your true intentions is because that would have been even worse.  'Um, so we're getting old and we're desperate and as such we have bargained with Apple to force this into your playlist so that you will notice us and listen to us.... and oh yeah we can avoid any talk of lack of hits or singles purchases because that becomes irrelevant...'

Anyway, I hate to dredge up the past, but since the band are doing it, might as well call this revisionist sh**e what it is...

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
IIRC, Larry once said he wanted to go back and "finish" pop, which implies that must like the core songs somewhat.

Or it means he dislikes it so much he wants to improve it so to be less of an embarrassment to him

Waffles

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 11:19:26 PM »

1. "The Irish rockers teamed up with bosses at tech giant Apple to make Songs of Innocence available for free download to half a billion users, but the move almost backfired when a glitch meant the record was automatically downloaded to some clients' playlists."

Hilarious - they are trying to say it was a mistake ('glitch') which implies it was not intentional.  And it only happened to 'some clients'.  Welcome to U2's alternate reality universe.

2. "U2 frontman Bono also repeated his belief the rockers made mistakes in the way they handled the album release, adding, "Giving people a free gift, it's hard to get it wrong. But we could have explained the intention behind it and we didn't. That was a big mistake."

Umm, Bono... the reason you did not explain your true intentions is because that would have been even worse.  'Um, so we're getting old and we're desperate and as such we have bargained with Apple to force this into your playlist so that you will notice us and listen to us.... and oh yeah we can avoid any talk of lack of hits or singles purchases because that becomes irrelevant...'

Anyway, I hate to dredge up the past, but since the band are doing it, might as well call this revisionist sh**e what it is...
I'm not following your first point. The album did not download automatically. Ever. It was uploaded into everyone's cloud which isn't a download. The cloud is online. People had the power to download. They're not backfiring or blaming anything.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2015, 12:56:22 AM »
"We did a deal with apple, we wanted to get the album heard by as many people as possible so we stuck it where everybody could get at it. If you didn't like it delete.End of."

Should be their line on the release.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:15:14 AM by an tha »

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2015, 01:44:16 AM »
"We did a deal with apple, we wanted to get the album heard by as many people as possible so we stuck it where everybody could get at it. If ypu didn't like it delete.End of."

Should be their line on the release.

Yep, nothing wrong with that.If people don't like it, don't listen/delete it.First world problems and all.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

I'm not following your first point. The album did not download automatically. Ever. It was uploaded into everyone's cloud which isn't a download. The cloud is online. People had the power to download. They're not backfiring or blaming anything.

The quote was from the article - not me.  My response was the line that begins with the word 'hilarious'.  Now that being said, the music was in fact 'downloaded' to users' devices when they synced to their itunes account.  You are correct that the album was placed everyone's' cloud account, but once you synced, shazam.

If you want to argue technical points, be my guest, but the point of the snafu is clear and it wasn't a 'mistake' as the band have been trying to claim.

Offline summerrain

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2015, 12:50:02 AM »

The quote was from the article - not me.  My response was the line that begins with the word 'hilarious'.  Now that being said, the music was in fact 'downloaded' to users' devices when they synced to their itunes account.  You are correct that the album was placed everyone's' cloud account, but once you synced, shazam.

If you want to argue technical points, be my guest, but the point of the snafu is clear and it wasn't a 'mistake' as the band have been trying to claim.

I enjoy the technical points! So you are saying that even users that didn't change their default settings downloaded the songs? I think if that were the case then every itunes user downloaded SOI... Is that what you are saying?

I thought you had to have the "automatically download purchases" option set to ON in order for that to happen. It's something that by default is set to OFF. So according to me the automatic download thing is not something that happened to everyone, only for those who changed their default settings.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link to scans of the magazine. I gave it a read and it seems Mullen Jr is the most well-grounded and sensible member of U2.

Great read.

Cheers,

J

Offline Groovy

• Wanderer
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
Are there any better scans available? This is the only i could find but its a bit too blurry...

Offline Mozz

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

Mine didn't automatically download. I had to go to my purchases and get it. That's because in my settings for my devices (iPhone and iPad) I don't "automatically download purchases" something the band didn't anticipate and probably most people don't know is even a feature?

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »

Are there any better scans available? This is the only i could find but its a bit too blurry...

Go to the rest of my album to see the downloaded clean copies of the article.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Not sure if the link still works...