Author Topic: U2 on cover Q Magazine  (Read 14134 times)

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: U2 on cover Q Magazine
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel like U2 have bounced back from that "disaster", although SOI will always have that unfortunate asterisk associated with it.  I'm very interested to see what happens with SOE, if anything.  All I can say is nearly a year later I still love SOI, which is more than I could say for HTDAAB and NLOTH.

100% agree with you.

My earlier comments, for those who seem to have a different memory of this than me (and everyone else outside the U2 fan alternate universe) is that the auto sync from the iTunes cloud did happen for a whole lot of people that use this feature. This is precisely why Apple had to build and deploy a fix to remove the album. 

People here are actually saying they had a hard time finding the album when Bono himself acknowledged at the time they did not mean to put it in everyone's personal playlist and Apple also had to apologize.  Amazing.  Either this is willful ignorance coupled with defending the band at all costs, or U2 have some of the most technologically backward fans on earth.

Anyway, people will remember what they want to remember.  And I say this as someone who was and is happy to have received the free music.  But being a fan does not mean defending every single thing the band does...

Sorry for not knowing iTunes inside out.Jesus. Basically it sounds like you are saying the people who couldn't find it are liars or are thick.I'm not defending the band,i actually think doing what they did with SOI wasn't their smartest move.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
I feel like U2 have bounced back from that "disaster", although SOI will always have that unfortunate asterisk associated with it.  I'm very interested to see what happens with SOE, if anything.  All I can say is nearly a year later I still love SOI, which is more than I could say for HTDAAB and NLOTH.

100% agree with you.

My earlier comments, for those who seem to have a different memory of this than me (and everyone else outside the U2 fan alternate universe) is that the auto sync from the iTunes cloud did happen for a whole lot of people that use this feature. This is precisely why Apple had to build and deploy a fix to remove the album. 

People here are actually saying they had a hard time finding the album when Bono himself acknowledged at the time they did not mean to put it in everyone's personal playlist and Apple also had to apologize.  Amazing.  Either this is willful ignorance coupled with defending the band at all costs, or U2 have some of the most technologically backward fans on earth.

Anyway, people will remember what they want to remember.  And I say this as someone who was and is happy to have received the free music.  But being a fan does not mean defending every single thing the band does...

Sorry for not knowing iTunes inside out.Jesus. Basically it sounds like you are saying the people who couldn't find it are liars or are thick.I'm not defending the band,i actually think doing what they did with SOI wasn't their smartest move.

I think people love the band, and sometimes that love manifests itself in having different memories of specific things.  I am guilty of it as well.  On this particular issue though, I just don't get why people feel the need to change the facts around the iTunes event.  It was unfortunate but whatever, it's in the past. 

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »
2 funniest quotes from this article:

1. "The Irish rockers teamed up with bosses at tech giant Apple to make Songs of Innocence available for free download to half a billion users, but the move almost backfired when a glitch meant the record was automatically downloaded to some clients' playlists."

Hilarious - they are trying to say it was a mistake ('glitch') which implies it was not intentional.  And it only happened to 'some clients'.  Welcome to U2's alternate reality universe.

Mine didn't automatically download. I had to go to my purchases and get it. That's because in my settings for my devices (iPhone and iPad) I don't "automatically download purchases" something the band didn't anticipate and probably most people don't know is even a feature?

Yep.I didn't realise that & was panicking wondering where my album was.

Me too.

interesting.  millions of iTunes users were complaining that they had this album forced on them, and you 2 couldn't even find it?  LOL.

you can try to revise history along with the band, but that is just silly...

No revision here, they're right. It only automatically downloaded if you had your features set to do so; which only a minority do. The backlash was a combination of that minority plus the people who saw it in their Cloud and assumed it had also downloaded. But let's keep things in perspective; there certainly weren't 'millions' complaining about it. I very much doubt there were even tens of thousands for that matter.

It just seemed like a lot because the people complaining made much more noise than the people who gave it a listen and perhaps liked it. I think it was a great thing they did, more people downloaded it than bought the Joshua Tree and if they want relevance then that's great.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »

100% agree with you.

I think people love the band, and sometimes that love manifests itself in having different memories of specific things.  I am guilty of it as well.  On this particular issue though, I just don't get why people feel the need to change the facts around the iTunes event.  It was unfortunate but whatever, it's in the past.

Are you serious? You're implying that we're "misremembering" that the album wasn't actually in our iTunes library where they said it would be? I don't know why other people got it automatically and I didn't, but I didn't, and there is nothing wrong with my memory. Why would you doubt that we are telling the truth...??

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
2 funniest quotes from this article:

1. "The Irish rockers teamed up with bosses at tech giant Apple to make Songs of Innocence available for free download to half a billion users, but the move almost backfired when a glitch meant the record was automatically downloaded to some clients' playlists."

Hilarious - they are trying to say it was a mistake ('glitch') which implies it was not intentional.  And it only happened to 'some clients'.  Welcome to U2's alternate reality universe.

Mine didn't automatically download. I had to go to my purchases and get it. That's because in my settings for my devices (iPhone and iPad) I don't "automatically download purchases" something the band didn't anticipate and probably most people don't know is even a feature?

Yep.I didn't realise that & was panicking wondering where my album was.

Me too.

interesting.  millions of iTunes users were complaining that they had this album forced on them, and you 2 couldn't even find it?  LOL.

you can try to revise history along with the band, but that is just silly...

No revision here, they're right. It only automatically downloaded if you had your features set to do so; which only a minority do. The backlash was a combination of that minority plus the people who saw it in their Cloud and assumed it had also downloaded. But let's keep things in perspective; there certainly weren't 'millions' complaining about it. I very much doubt there were even tens of thousands for that matter.

Besides which, what on earth would I have to gain here by "revising history?" The album did not download automatically to my device. No one's paying me to say that on a fan forum. Geez.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »

100% agree with you.

Yes I love the band. Yes I had to actively choose to download the album. I'm not "changing facts." I'm quite certain that millions of people woke up and found the damn thing on their phone, but for me that was not the case. Why is this so hard for you to accept?

And no Aprilshack, I am not thick. You might want to roll back the personal insults.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:39:46 PM by JHook »

Waffles

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »
It certainly didn't download onto my phone. I had to go to iTunes to download it. And even then, I was having issues accessing it. Only a small amount of people actually saw it. The rest were free loaders or U2 fans

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »
OK, I am another person who had to actively fuss with my computer for over an hour to get the darn album downloaded.  I remember it vividly because it was taking so long, and I really wanted to hear it, and the time it was taking was incredibly frustrating.   So you are not the only one.  Once I actively downloaded it on my laptop, I recall that it showed up on my phone automatically.

I think those who had it land on their phone without actively downloading had that happen due to personal itunes settings.  I apparently didn't have certain settings in place that made it automatic.  Some people did.  Some people didn't.  I'd agree, this shouldn't be so hard to accept. 

100% agree with you.

Yes I love the band. Yes I had to actively choose to download the album. I'm not "changing facts." I'm quite certain that millions of people woke up and found the damn thing on their phone, but for me that was not the case. Why is this so hard for you to accept?

And no Aprilshack, I am not thick. You might want to roll back the personal insults.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2015, 05:19:25 AM »

100% agree with you.

I didn't say you were thick.You may want to read my post again. I was saying that it seemed SlyDanner was calling people thick/technologically backward for not finding the album.