Author Topic: Songs To Omit for 2009 Tour  (Read 8580 times)

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
Songs To Omit for 2009 Tour
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
What songs would you like to see U2 omit from this tour that have been getting constant play during the last few tours???

These songs IMO can go and can come out on occassion for certain nights.

1. Pride
2. Bullet The Blue Sky
3. With Or Without You
4. Mysterious Ways
5. The Fly

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Songs To Omit for 2009 Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »
For me - mysteriuos ways - a great track but i think I overdosed on the Zoo TV tour and never recovered!

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »
Stay has allways got to be there!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
when i go to my first concert, it will be a U2 one, and i'd hope that they would play those songs, because they are some of their best. i also understand that if you have seen numerous U2 concerts over time, in addition to making me really jealous, you might get tired of em. but those are the ones that got U2 where they are now, and U2 can play them whenever they want in my opinion. a little off topic, but how often is All I Want Is You played? i love that song.

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »
All I Want Is You has been played pretty extensively since the Lovetown Tour. It wasn't played on every set list of the Vertigo Tour but was on it on occasion. I know I got it on the 8 Vertigo shows I saw.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:23:31 AM »
Keep the Fly.  ;)

daveyg

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What songs would you like to see U2 omit from this tour that have been getting constant play during the last few tours???

These songs IMO can go and can come out on occassion for certain nights.

1. Pride
2. Bullet The Blue Sky
3. With Or Without You
4. Mysterious Ways
5. The Fly

With or Without You has to stay - it's the only loo break opportunity I get during a gig. :)
Pride and Bullet HAVE to stay.
Unless they bring back Zoo TV versions of the Fly and Mysterious Ways, drop them like a hot pototo!!

I can't think of any of their "regulars" that otherwise could be dropped. But if they don't do Gloria at the gig - with full proper bass solo - I will be doing a He-man impression running round after Bono on the stage..... watch out for the extras at the next live DVD if that happens! :) (if you don't know He-man or haven't seen me, it's not a nice combination for Bono to get lurching towards him on stage!)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
I'd get rid of Bullet but keep Pride since it's always a good audience sing-a-long....  With Or Without you is never that great live and Mysterious Ways is a better "dance-with-girl-from-crowd" song. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »
I wouldn't say any of the songs have to go, but some of them need to be played in a different perspective. I'm kinda bored of Pride and One, but they can mess about with the arrangements a bit and come up with something special. Songs like The Fly and Bullet are constantly being played in a different way, so I don't know why they'd be left out.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
They need to keep One so that I can go pee without feeling like I'm missing something good!  ;D

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
when i go to my first concert, it will be a U2 one, and i'd hope that they would play those songs, because they are some of their best. i also understand that if you have seen numerous U2 concerts over time, in addition to making me really jealous, you might get tired of em. but those are the ones that got U2 where they are now, and U2 can play them whenever they want in my opinion. a little off topic, but how often is All I Want Is You played? i love that song.

I can certainly understand your wanting to hear all of them.  For those of us that have seen several shows, it is less our getting "tired" of a live performance of them, and (for me at least) it is that the band doesn't seem as energized for them.  I have seen every tour since JT (except PopMart, when I was a poor grad student), but that is "only" seeing 4 shows.  No way would I ever say "I just can't hear Pride that 5th time", or SBS or whatever, because 4 times is nowhere near enough.  Rather it is a case of the band turning out a performance of a song that is either not as exciting to them or not as innovative.

A great example is Sunday from the PopMart tour DVD in Mexico City.  They said they didn't think they would ever bring it back, but having Edge play it solo and quietly really helped them rediscover it again and make it fresh.  I would venture to say that that version is even better than the R&H version (f*** the revolution!), and I LOVE the R&H version.

I would take any U2 song any day if it is new, fresh and exciting. 
With that said and presuming that the songs were to be performed in the usual manner, I would drop:

Bullet (yes even that one)
SBS
Pride
Fly
Mysterious Ways
Angel of Harlem (get a new acoustic sing at the end of the ellipse song)

Even One could go, if it is the same old thing

I also would drop Love and Peace
SYCMIOYO
Beautiful Day
Walk On
40 (I love the song and it is the traditional ending, but what about love is blindness or Vertigo or bad? - those would be awesome endings)

My hope is that they rediscover and reinvent (or at least sing for me) the following:
Ultraviolet
Exit (amazing live)
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Wanderer (just once, please)
Please
Gone
Stay

Plus a bunch of awesome tracks from the new album.

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:19:42 AM »
Acrobat

We have to stay optimistic

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
i've been banging on for a while  about which u2 songs have to go :
sunday bloody sunday - its become the "oh i know this one" song for people at gigs who have no idea who the band are so its time to put it out to rest for a while

new years day -  its just been over played and it needs to go

one - funny how the meaning of this song has completely changed from the zoo tv tour til the opart of the show it was used on the last tour.

pride -  its being played to slow since 1993.its another sing along,sorry but i don't go to u2 concerts for a sing along,if i did id go see cliff richard,i go to be blown away by the songs .
bullet - again it need a rest for a tour or two

beautiful day - another sing along song, there's better u2 songs out there that don't get that much live play

with or without you-it seems to have its place in the enore but again maybe somethingelse could be placed there

some of the songs id like to see kept/added would be
exit
gods country
running to standstill
miss sarejavo
gloria
dirty day
new york
miracle drug (vastly underrated)
party girl
please

hurricane hugo

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »
since this seems partially to be about "bathroom break" songs, let me add mine: Sunday Bloody Sunday.  ;D

I'd like them to limit the '80s-era songs to 1 from each album. Max.

#@!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:41:33 PM by hurricane hugo »

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »
Bullet should be dropped completely.

One, Pride, and WOWY should definitely get less play, simply becaue the songs are not performed to their full power. Undecided about The Fly, though.