Author Topic: Songs To Omit for 2009 Tour  (Read 8583 times)

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
Re: Songs To Omit for 2009 Tour
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:29:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stay has allways got to be there!

The live rendition (acoustically) is much better than the recorded version, and will be very much a welcomed song in 2009. However, I don't feel it is a necessity... i mean just look at all of their other masterpieces out there...

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 11:28:54 PM »
BULLET needs to go.   I'm just over the song at this point now.

SBS was half assed on Elevation, but they made up for it with a blistering version of it on Vertigo.  If they can play it with that intensity again, then keep it in the set, if not...put it back out to pasture.

NYD....overplayed.  They dropped it from the third leg of Veritigo and the show didn't suffer as a result of it.  Give it a rest on the next tour as well.

Pride...will always be in the show.  They dropped it from the initial Elevation set list and put it back in when fans complained about it not being played at the beginning of the tour.  It's right up there with Streets as a "must do"

Everything else I can pretty much live with.

daveyg

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 01:21:34 AM »
And they should definitely bring back the ZooTV arrangement of "Mysterious Ways".

I have bored my friends to tears repeating this!! :) Why they started messing round with the perfect version of it is beyond me!!

I think I've given my list (With or WIthout You has to stay - I need a loo break song!! They won't do it, but most of HTDAAB except Sometimes and Vertigo......) but realised that there's a huge bulk of U2 fans of all ages who actually haven't seem them live for whatever reason, and there's always going to be a proportion of newbies in the audience who want to see and hear live up close and personal all their regulars.

Another question - when the lads are sitting down working our their setlists, do they look at each other and decide what they want (taking into consideration they have to plug their latest release most) or I wonder do they ever refer to threads like this, and if they don't, would they be surprised at the feedback?

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
Yes...the Zoo TV version of "Mysterious Ways"!  That song was INCREDIBLE!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
Hopefully we will lose Bullet , every show every tour from Joshua Tree onwards is , I think, a bit of overkill !! But it is Paul McGuiness' fave song so that's probably why it is always there.
NYD also has to be retired. It is a fantastic song but it's moment has now passed.
Pride and One  should be used as alternates to keep the newbies happy. Much the way Bad and All I Want is You was on the Elevation tour.

Sunday Bloody Sunday should stay though as it always gets the energy levels up a notch or two. Although a return to the acoustic POP tour versions would be welcome and also more in tune with the band's increasing years. But have a feeling that it will be dropped.

But hopefully they will omit at least 4 or 5 songs from night to night. I went to see them at London one night and then the next date on the tour in Glasgow and they played EXACTLY the same setlist, there is no excuse for that. They should have a look at Springsteen's setlists, he is probably one of the best for varying the set.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
But hopefully they will omit at least 4 or 5 songs from night to night. I went to see them at London one night and then the next date on the tour in Glasgow and they played EXACTLY the same setlist, there is no excuse for that. They should have a look at Springsteen's setlists, he is probably one of the best for varying the set.

U2 are never going to have setlists that very a huge amount from night to night. They are not comfortable with it and they feel that it goes away from the strength of getting one show down and maximizing it every night.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 03:49:24 AM »
I agree they do like to have a more set setlist these days but is probably more to do with the tie in with the lighting, visual effects! However they can easily change 4 or 5 songs per night to satisy the thousands of fans who go to more than one show .

Found some info on the number of times they have played the core songs....
1. I will follow  761 times
2. Pride 747
3. New Years Day 667
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday 647
5. Bullet 646
6. Streets 645
7. WOWU 579
8. One 515
9. Found 483
10. 40    477

Surely they must be bored to death of playing these songs ......actually feel sorry for them, drop the lot . Out of those the only one that still has the U2 emotion is I will Follow and maybe Streets, the rest should  definitely be laid to rest.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
i totally agree .streets still deserves to be in the set, but the others rest them please !!!!! or at least play them once every so often like out of control when its all a nice surprise

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
I agree they do like to have a more set setlist these days but is probably more to do with the tie in with the lighting, visual effects! However they can easily change 4 or 5 songs per night to satisy the thousands of fans who go to more than one show .

The technology should be here now (in 2008) for the setlist to be put into a computer system, connected to video and lighting for each song, and then be capable of being altered and changed around. Whether it is here is another matter, but if such a thing's there they should use it.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »

The technology should be here now (in 2008) for the setlist to be put into a computer system, connected to video and lighting for each song, and then be capable of being altered and changed around. Whether it is here is another matter, but if such a thing's there they should use it.

The technology's been here since at least 1994, when NIN's Trent Reznor fired his lighting guy and programmed all the lighting changes/scenes for all the songs in NIN's reportoire(sp?) into a computer.

#@!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 03:37:18 PM »
The Fly has to make an appearance for the next tour but not every night.  WOWY, if it was dropped I wouldn't mind.  I'm actually sick of hearing Pride.  Everything off of Atomic Bomb except LAPOE should be dropped.  I wouldn't mind hearing Last Night On Earth because it hasn't been played since Popmart. 

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
half of the tracks from pop should be brought back

hurricane hugo

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »
half of the tracks from pop should be brought back

I agree 100%.

#@!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »
I've been thinking that some tracks from Pop should be brought back.  I disliked Pop when it came out but now I've come to realize it wasn't the actual music that bothered me.  I just wasn't ready to accept a new U2 thinking outside their box. I really should have applauded them for it. I do now. I like those songs a lot. If they were on a Gavin Friday solo album, I would have loved and accepted them right away because that is what I expected from Gavin. He is all over the place with his music so why not U2? Change is good. I just want to add that Bullet is really the only one that I am sure I have had enough of.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 07:50:42 AM »
The Fly has to make an appearance for the next tour but not every night.  WOWY, if it was dropped I wouldn't mind.  I'm actually sick of hearing Pride.  Everything off of Atomic Bomb except LAPOE should be dropped.  I wouldn't mind hearing Last Night On Earth because it hasn't been played since Popmart. 
i agree with last night on earth it manages to be so much better live than on pop.i would disagree with LAPOE  being the only song off atomic bomb worth keeping.cobl is a great live song and should stay in the set,personally although the band dropped it by the end of the tour i love miracle drug and would keep that to .