Author Topic: Possible never-performed-before song on ie? [SPOILERS]  (Read 3808 times)

Waffles

Possible never-performed-before song on ie? [SPOILERS]
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
I'm suprised there is no post on this yet. While Bono was surrounded by fans, he was told about u2request and they told him they want to hear acrobat. Surprisingly, rather than annoyed, Bono had a big smile and said they looked at it the day before. Any thoughts? Zooropa is already getting a spot
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:00:16 AM by Droo »

WookieeWarrior10

Re: Possible never-performed-before song on ie? [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:15:51 PM »
I doubt it really means anything, they won't play it.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
Doubtful. He heard that request many times in the past few months and nothing happened.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »
First, I agree that people should not read too much into anything Bono says when meeting fans.

Second, I do not get the obsession with this song. It's as if some fans will fight you to the death to prove it is the best song ever written and I, personally, don't even think it's the best song off the album that it's from. I listened to it a few days ago and I do think it is good, but I just can't  figure out why some fans are begging the band to play it.

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First, I agree that people should not read too much into anything Bono says when meeting fans.

Second, I do not get the obsession with this song. It's as if some fans will fight you to the death to prove it is the best song ever written and I, personally, don't even think it's the best song off the album that it's from. I listened to it a few days ago and I do think it is good, but I just can't  figure out why some fans are begging the band to play it.

Because everyones tastes are different. Just because its not your favourite off the album, or off U2's catalog doesn't mean allot of other people don't want to hear it.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
Don't believe what you hear.....

Waffles

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:18 AM »
I'd be content with hearing the acoustic version. It's my favorite of the album. And it speaks a lot of truth to life. I also think it works great with the tour theme.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:50 AM »
I'd be content with hearing the acoustic version. It's my favorite of the album. And it speaks a lot of truth to life. I also think it works great with the tour theme.

Yes, love to hear it too. It's quite interesting. But does not say annything though.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:55:52 AM »

I happen to think it is their greatest song.

However i don't think I want to hear it live.....

The u2 who toured here in 1992/3 playing it? Yes - without doubt.

The u2 of today? I just don't think they could go where the song demands.

It would be horrible if it was played and not done justice.

If they did pull it off though....

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:39:27 AM »

I happen to think it is their greatest song.

However i don't think I want to hear it live.....

The u2 who toured here in 1992/3 playing it? Yes - without doubt.

The u2 of today? I just don't think they could go where the song demands.

It would be horrible if it was played and not done justice.

If they did pull it off though....

Agree, so so much.
This is my SONG, greatest song U2 Ever put together.
But I dunno, I wouldn't want a semi perfect live performance taint the legend of this song, especially Bono's vocal ability of today, it was no where near the way it was performed all those years ago.

Offline Bantering ram

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:09 AM »

I think the intrigue and obsession from this song largely stems from the mysterious and glaring omission of it in any of their live sets (is there any other U2 song which can compete with it for the 'most glaring live absence' award?).
Arguably, it may not be the best song off the album but the fact you concede "it is good" amidst the other songs off that album suggests it's a reasonable live request from fans.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:48 AM »
It's so relevant for now though with the iTunes release backlash etc. I would only want to hear the album version though!

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »
I would say that the chances are minimum for Acrobat.  I remember when they were doing things for "from the sky down" and they were doing a bunch of things off the album.  Wild Horses was messed around with, a couple versions of So Cruel, etc.  If they didn't tinker with the song then, I can't see them bringing it back for much reason.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
...don't believe what you see.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »
I think that if U2 don't feel right in playing it then that is good enough for me. Fans who are thinking like 'completests' miss the point.