Author Topic: Possible never-performed-before song on ie? [SPOILERS]  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Possible never-performed-before song on ie? [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 11:00:02 AM »
Please mark spoilers and don't put them in the thread title. Thank you.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm suprised there is no post on this yet. While Bono was surrounded by fans, he was told about u2request and they told him they want to hear acrobat. Surprisingly, rather than annoyed, Bono had a big smile and said they looked at it the day before. Any thoughts? Zooropa is already getting a spot

probably the first time they've even thought about it since 1992.  "Ah, happy days." :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »
First, I agree that people should not read too much into anything Bono says when meeting fans.

Second, I do not get the obsession with this song. It's as if some fans will fight you to the death to prove it is the best song ever written and I, personally, don't even think it's the best song off the album that it's from. I listened to it a few days ago and I do think it is good, but I just can't  figure out why some fans are begging the band to play it.

I know! It doesn't make sense! Doesn't seem to fit. Makes me want to hit out! If I only knew who to hit!

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
^ yes, but a request keeps the band sharp and creative on the other hand.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Second, I do not get the obsession with this song. It's as if some fans will fight you to the death to prove it is the best song ever written and I, personally, don't even think it's the best song off the album that it's from. I listened to it a few days ago and I do think it is good, but I just can't  figure out why some fans are begging the band to play it.

I think the intrigue and obsession from this song largely stems from the mysterious and glaring omission of it in any of their live sets (is there any other U2 song which can compete with it for the 'most glaring live absence' award?).
Arguably, it may not be the best song off the album but the fact you concede "it is good" amidst the other songs off that album suggests it's a reasonable live request from fans.

Ultraviolet is the best song off Achtung Baby, full stop.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks it's the worst song on Achtung Baby, and not a particularly good song.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 03:07:38 PM »
I think you're probably right Droo.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks it's the worst song on Achtung Baby, and not a particularly good song.

That's So Cruel in my opinion. Anyway, being the worst song on Achtung Baby probably means it's one of the best songs of the past decade anyway. I think the fact it's never been played before means it's being hyped up, a lot. In a way I wish they would just play it once so people would leave it.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
First, I agree that people should not read too much into anything Bono says when meeting fans.

That's kind of where I am too. It's a great song but there are so many others I would rather hear first.

Even if the band plays it people will just complain about Bono's delivery, Larry's drumming or some other issue. It's been hyped up to such a degree that fans will rip them apart if it doesn't sound absolutely perfect.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
Too much AB.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »

I'm with you Droo.   I don't like it at all.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
Each to their own. I think Acrobat is the best song ever written. I don't give a hoot whatever any one says, or who disagrees with me.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. I couldn't wait to hear Mercy live. I was begging for mercy because because because. :(

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »

You are not. I think it's the weakest on the album.

I would give my right arm to hear "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World", though!

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »

I would give my right arm to hear "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World", though!

Yes! I'm shattered they didn't play this on the 360 tour, perfect for that stage.

And yeah, I like Acrobat, but geez, people have built it up to be the best song ever. If it ever gets played, I hope they leave their expectations at the gate.