Paul Epworth
1 (0.5%)
Ryan Tedder
0 (0%)
Declan Gaffney
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: September 16, 2015, 07:18:25 AM

Author Topic: U2 Producers - POLL  (Read 2640 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
U2 Producers - POLL
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »
I have seen a few discussion on the producers U2 have used over the years, successes, less success, relationships etc.  Which producer do you think has done the best for U2 and presenting, crafting their music.

I was listened to SOI the other day on the way to work, first full listen in a few months, with the hope that with time, it would have grown on me a bit more.  While I found myself able to sing with most of the songs and overall, it was fine, what I really think is lacking is any kind of soul in the production.  Bono spoke to the fact that he didn't like the way it sounded either.  The tunes are much better live, as are most of their songs, but with SOI, I think it is much more evident and thus the reason that album and it's production, leaves me with big Meh.

As to sounding good and having solid production for my uneducated ears, I like the overall atmosphere of NOLTH, AB and JT.  While No Line has some questionable tunes, these three I think represent a consistent sound over the course of the how album(s), flow pretty well and have a deeper sound and texture, especially compared to SOI.  I guess for those reasons I would pick Eno and Lanois.  What are your thoughts, you can choose up to three on the list.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:18:59 AM by acrobat62 »

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 Producers - POLL
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
Flood, Jimmy Iovine and Howie B for me.

Where is Martin Hannett? He produced one of U2's best songs, and would be in my top three (ahead of Jimmy Iovine)

Waffles

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »
I love mouse just because he pushed the band on the last record. They really went in a different direction. Steve is such a nice producer and it's great to see him interact with the U2 community

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
1. Lanois (really helped shape a lot of their best songs)
2. Iovine (love the sound on Rattle and Hum)
3. Lillywhite (captured the heart of the early material)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:13:52 PM »
Everyone commenting wants to give an answer other than Brian Eno. But it was Eno who transformed them, producing their first true change in direction, the Unforgettable Fire, their Magnum Opus, The Joshua Tree, and the album that is the standard bearer for the modern artistic reinvention, Achtung, Baby. The POP fans should realize that without  Eno there is no POP even though he didn't work on it.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Everyone commenting wants to give an answer other than Brian Eno. But it was Eno who transformed them, producing their first true change in direction, the Unforgettable Fire, their Magnum Opus, The Joshua Tree, and the album that is the standard bearer for the modern artistic reinvention, Achtung, Baby. The POP fans should realize that without  Eno there is no POP even though he didn't work on it.

But that's note what the pole is about, its asking us our favorite producers. If the poll asked for biggest influence on their career, people would vote differently.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Flood, Jimmy Iovine and Howie B for me.

Where is Martin Hannett? He produced one of U2's best songs, and would be in my top three (ahead of Jimmy Iovine)

wow, that's the three I picked. i hadn't read any of the above posts either. I know R&H comes in for a lot of stick here, but the sound and production on that album by Iovine was great. i happen to like a lot of the original recordings on that album. underrated piece of work around here. the flood and howie B selections are self explanatory.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:22:57 AM by miami »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »
1. (tie) Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois
3. Nellee Hooper

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
What about Bill Whelan?  He was the original producer of War, and only "The Refugee" was used from his sessions. 

I only kid about his inclusion in this list.  How'd you like that to be your legacy?
Bill: I produced U2 once
Friend:  Really?  Which album?
Bill: One of the worst songs they ever recorded....
Friend: I HATE YOU, BILL!!!

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
Also, no Rick Rubin on your list!

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
Sorry if I may have missed a few, but the ones included on the list are of the published final producers of the final album releases.  While Bill produced Refugee, I did not see him credited on the album release, so I did miss him.  Rick Ruben produced tunes, to my knowledge, were never released and Martin Hannett's involvement was the non album, single release of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Thanks for the feedback, forced me to do a bit more research and find out some things I did not otherwise know.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
I find it almost impossible to vote for either of Lanois or Eno without including the other.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
Eno
Flood
Howie B

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »
As per some comments above, Jimmy Iovine got some great sounds for U2, both on Rattle and Hum and Under A Blood Red Sky.   Desire and All I Want is You are such well-produced songs.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 06:51:03 AM »
With voting closed, I guess it's not a big shock that Lanois and Eno ran away with this one.