Author Topic: A shoutout to my hometown during the intermission, but they spell it wrong!  (Read 879 times)

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
I was watching a live stream of the second night in Turin last saturday, september 6, and during the intermission when they were playing the Gavin Friday mix of The Fly I noticed at one time for a very brief moment that one of the words or sentances that appear on the screen looked like the name of my hometown, Reykjavik. Of course I got excited, went on Youtube and searched for a video of it from a previous show, I found one from the show the day before (september 5) and I was able to confirm what I saw which made me really happy, but unfortunately they were spelling it wrong, the text said Rekjavic when it should be Reykjavik :-[

Then I started going through all the previous shows to see if this has always been like this and after watching way too many videos of the same thing I was very dissapointed to discover that although my hometown has been mentioned on every show that had The Fly mix in the intermission it has always been spelled wrong... Except for the first time the mix was played, back in Boston on july 15, were they placed it a bit later on the screen and not only did they write it correctly they also wrote the sentence it appears in all at once instead of showing each word separately like they did later. The first time it appeared they wrote on the screen "Good evening Reykjavik" but all other times it was "Good", then "evening" and finally "Rekjavic" :P

They have to fix this, it's embarrassing that they are doing this awesome shout-out to my hometown by spelling it completely wrong, someone screwed up when moving and splitting the sentence. Imagine if they would make a shout-out to your hometown and then spell it wrong, it would suck right?

Here's a link to the first time The Fly mix was played (july 15 in Boston) were they got it right:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - it comes on at about 3:10

And here's one of the later ones where they got it wrong (from september 8 in Amsterdam):
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - the sentence starts at 2:05

I need help spreading the word and hopefully reaching the band or at least someone connected to them that might be able to get this fixed. I've already sent out a few tweets from my twitter account You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login but with almost nonexistant impact, just a couple of retweets (maybe because I don't have that many followers, or I'm not doing it right). Can you please help me make this happen? All I need are some retweets to get the ball rolling, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or maybe someone here knows of a better way to get their attention?

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
Re: A shoutout to my hometown during the intermission, but they spell it wrong!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:38 AM »
Greetings from Butapest!

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:18:24 AM »
Did they also write Budapest wrong? Did that happen in the past or did you spot that in this tours intermission text? Not as bad as Rekjavic but has the same facepalm effect :P It has been a dream of mine that someday U2 will play in Iceland, it's highly unlikely but this shout-out gives me a little hope. Been a fan since 2001 but didn't go to a show until Boston on this tour, I was at the first two shows there. I will also be going to the first two in London next month, hopefully they will fix this before that, assuming of course that the intermission will still be The Fly mix.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
Go to willie Williams site on line and send him an email.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:20:42 PM by miryclay »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
They are usually very careful about being accurate. I remember reading that during maybe the ZooTv show, they had the word One on screen in many different languages, and were very concerned that they were all spelled right and written right (like right to left in Hebrew, I think).

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
This, LOL.

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »
Go to willie Williams site on line and send him an email.

Thanks, I didn't know it would be that easy to contact him :) I emailed him yesterday and explained the situation. I haven't gotten any reply yet and I don't think I will, he's probably too busy, but when I watched a stream of the show earlier tonight I tried to pay extra attention when the intermission came and although I saw the sentence appear I was unable to see if it had been fixed or not as it went by so quickly. But soon after the show ended I found a video on Youtube from the show and I'm very pleased to announce that they fixed it, it now says Reykjavik! 8) :D

They are usually very careful about being accurate. I remember reading that during maybe the ZooTv show, they had the word One on screen in many different languages, and were very concerned that they were all spelled right and written right (like right to left in Hebrew, I think).

Good to know they make that extra effort, I would love to know how they messed this up, I think it probably happened when they changed the text after the Boston show and someone typed it manually in instead of just using cut and paste when moving the text.

The funny thing is that when I emailed Willy I did so from my U2 domain which is u2.is, the address I used is u2 at u2 dot is (don't send me spam lol) ;D

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:34:03 AM »
Did they also write Budapest wrong? Did that happen in the past or did you spot that in this tours intermission text? Not as bad as Rekjavic but has the same facepalm effect :P It has been a dream of mine that someday U2 will play in Iceland, it's highly unlikely but this shout-out gives me a little hope.

I was just joking. "Buta" means dumb/silly/stupid in Hungarian, and I don't think it has appeared in any recent U2 visuals.

Don't take Rikshawik too personally, they didn't mean it, and do write to Willie Williams to have it fixed.

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 03:16:02 AM »
I was just joking. "Buta" means dumb/silly/stupid in Hungarian, and I don't think it has appeared in any recent U2 visuals.

Oh, lol, yeah, I think that would be worse if they spelt it like that, the mistake they made with Reykjavik did thankfully not mean anything else in any language.

Don't take Rikshawik too personally, they didn't mean it, and do write to Willie Williams to have it fixed.

It was actually Rekjavic and it can easily sound almost the same as the correct one if you try to read it. Of course I know they didn't mean it, it was correct the first time but then they reordered the text and someone probably wrote it again in the new spot instead of just moving the old one around. And I did email Willie and they fixed it :)

I'm very happy they are mentioning my hometown like this, it tells me they like my country and who knows, maybe someday they might come and play a show or two ;) It's not very likely though, Iceland is way too small for them and I think the real reason is because of Bono, he has been to Iceland a few times and liked it so I think he probably requested this message himself.