Author Topic: Bono's voice deteriorating???  (Read 6716 times)

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
Bono's voice deteriorating???
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
I've noticed from when I first saw them in Montreal in June, to the show in Boston, and compared to the recent shows, Bono seems to be off more than he is on.  Every Breaking Wave is a great example, he doesn't sing it with the passion we saw at the MTV Europe awards, and frankly Montreal night #1 he was great.  However just watch his performance of it in Turin or Holland, and you will see what I mean. 

Anyone else notice?

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
Re: Bono's voice deteriorating???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Yes, and I don't know if he can hit the miss Sarajevo note anymore

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »
well, he could earlier this year, so I don't know if he's conserving himself, or simply just tired, or something else...

Waffles

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
Well after the first hour, I'd expect anyone's voice to be tired. I think he sounds his best since pop on this tour. Definitely hitting notes better than 360. The 5 year break was benefitial

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 02:06:06 AM »
In some ways he has lost his some of his extraordinary abilities. But, he seems to have a more refined voice in many ways. When he hits the end of Cedarwood Road, every time the long drawn out ' home' is amazing. He seems to be able to do the hard rocking songs great on this tour.  I feel he has lost some, but has gained in many other ways. I do not know one rock singer who can even come close to Bono's vocal abilities.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:51 AM »
It only stands to reason that as the tour progresses his voice becomes more strained U2 song's are full of high and low notes with many ranges and hard on the vocal cords. I saw them 3 nights in Montreal and his vocals were amazing. He still sounds great to me.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 05:42:07 AM »
I checked out the youtube of the song from turin sept 4 and it sounded alright to me just like any of the other nights in North America.   He just didn't end the song on the high note.  I think if anything he was just shocked that the crowd was actually singing the song along with him and you could really hear the crowd so at time he would not sing as loud so the audience would be more in the mix.  It is actually the first time I heard the audience sing one of the new songs that loud.  I been to 8 shows (vancouver, montreal and toronto) and none were singing along with this song or any of the new tunes to that degree like in Turin.
Conclusion-His voice is just fine!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:44:48 AM by boom boom »

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 07:34:39 AM »
No, I do agree completely.  I'm speaking specifically about the start of the tour, to what I'm seeing now.  I can't get youtube from my current location or I'd post a couple of comparisons, but the obvious one to me is EBW from Montreal night #2 or even MTV Europe awards, compared to any of the Turin or Netherland nights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In some ways he has lost his some of his extraordinary abilities. But, he seems to have a more refined voice in many ways. When he hits the end of Cedarwood Road, every time the long drawn out ' home' is amazing. He seems to be able to do the hard rocking songs great on this tour.  I feel he has lost some, but has gained in many other ways. I do not know one rock singer who can even come close to Bono's vocal abilities.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
I think this is a logical reason maria.

It only stands to reason that as the tour progresses his voice becomes more strained U2 song's are full of high and low notes with many ranges and hard on the vocal cords. I saw them 3 nights in Montreal and his vocals were amazing. He still sounds great to me.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
I checked out the youtube of the song from turin sept 4 and it sounded alright to me just like any of the other nights in North America.   He just didn't end the song on the high note.  I think if anything he was just shocked that the crowd was actually singing the song along with him and you could really hear the crowd so at time he would not sing as loud so the audience would be more in the mix.  It is actually the first time I heard the audience sing one of the new songs that loud.  I been to 8 shows (vancouver, montreal and toronto) and none were singing along with this song or any of the new tunes to that degree like in Turin.
Conclusion-His voice is just fine!!

I first noticed actually in the show I attended in Boston (the night they recorded "40") that bono seemed to by off, and my comparison were the shows I saw in Montreal.  Perhaps his voice is fine generally, but unable to cope with the number of shows they are doing to "really give it" night in and night out.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
His voice sounded strong in Amsterdam. Maybe a little tired but it was a great show, saw them closer than ever. So much energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE  :-*

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
it is a really great show isn't it

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
If any song is going to highlight any vocal issues it's the piano version of EBW - the mixture of minimal instrumentation and Bono at his absolute most passionate. I did wonder whether he would be able to keep this up as the tour progressed and recent outings seem less impressive. Hoping it's just a temporary thing and he'll be back at full tilt before long. His voice is still incredibly impressive in my opinion. Compared to many vocalists (Liam Gallagher, Robert plant, Michael Stipe, Dylan) at latter periods of their careers, he's miles ahead. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it going like, say, Leonard Cohen has. I wonder what he will sound like at 60? 70? I reckon he'll still be up there, whether it's with U2 or not.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
Well, he's 55 now. I remember an interview with Luciano Pavarotti from about 20 years ago in which he said that he could not think of a single male singer ever whose voice didn't begin to go by the time he reached the age of 57. He said he could notice occasional problems popping up in his own voice at that point.

Offline grhawi

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
C'mon people.  Bono's old.  The voice isn't what it used to be, obviously.  But, it's still much better than most.  Can we quit complaining about, criticizing, and critiquing his voice and just enjoy it for what it is?  This same discussion has crept in during every album release and tour since POP.  Always the same.  Here's what we know: the voice comes and goes a bit, sure, but it's still strong and resonant.  This has been happening since the '80s, folks.  Very few singers could consistently do what Bono does on a nightly basis.  Let's just enjoy it.