Author Topic: Bono's voice deteriorating???  (Read 6717 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Bono's voice deteriorating???
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
There hasn't been one single tour performance where he's hit the note at the end of EBW as he did in the MTV one. That's just a fact. He's had a better go of it some nights than others, but most of the time he doesn't actually try (Wisely.)

TBH though, I'd disagree that it's been a deterioration; IMO he was better late US leg than early US leg, which is fairly standard; takes him a while to fully warm up.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
I wouldn't say Bonos  voice is deteriorating ... it's just changing ... it's evolving

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Age is a terrible thing. Bono's been lucky to have escaped this for awhile, his voice is remarkable for a guy in his mid 50s, and even more so when you think about his vocal performances on the Vertigo and Elevation tours.

Also, perhaps this has something to do with them trying to record an album during the tour? Knowing U2, they probably go through dozens upon dozens of vocal takes, and this could play a role in his voice being somewhat weaker at times.

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
Relaxxxxxxxx   This is just in comparison from the beginning of the tour till now....was thinking something was wrong but some good logical reasons have been presented here which make sense.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
C'mon people.  Bono's old.  The voice isn't what it used to be, obviously.  But, it's still much better than most.  Can we quit complaining about, criticizing, and critiquing his voice and just enjoy it for what it is?  This same discussion has crept in during every album release and tour since POP.  Always the same.  Here's what we know: the voice comes and goes a bit, sure, but it's still strong and resonant.  This has been happening since the '80s, folks.  Very few singers could consistently do what Bono does on a nightly basis.  Let's just enjoy it. 

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
I wouldn't say Bonos  voice is deteriorating ... it's just changing ... it's evolving

Different word, same meaning, but perhaps the connotation is somewhat different, lol

Offline superstar905

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
Very true.......but I think earlier in the NA leg I thought he was better, save for the first couple of shows
There hasn't been one single tour performance where he's hit the note at the end of EBW as he did in the MTV one. That's just a fact. He's had a better go of it some nights than others, but most of the time he doesn't actually try (Wisely.)

TBH though, I'd disagree that it's been a deterioration; IMO he was better late US leg than early US leg, which is fairly standard; takes him a while to fully warm up.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
it happens

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »

That MTV Every breaking wave is legendary

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »
The voice gets tired it needs to rest up that's all it is.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »
C'mon people.  Bono's old.  The voice isn't what it used to be, obviously.  But, it's still much better than most.  Can we quit complaining about, criticizing, and critiquing his voice and just enjoy it for what it is?  This same discussion has crept in during every album release and tour since POP.  Always the same.  Here's what we know: the voice comes and goes a bit, sure, but it's still strong and resonant.  This has been happening since the '80s, folks.  Very few singers could consistently do what Bono does on a nightly basis.  Let's just enjoy it.

Bono is not old nor is anyone in their 50's  or even 60's.  80's and 90's is old.  So cut that old crap out!

Waffles

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »
Up until the 90s, he had a deeper bigger voice. Now it's changed and is more modern pop sounding.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 12:06:59 AM »
His voice sounded strong in Amsterdam. Maybe a little tired but it was a great show, saw them closer than ever. So much energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE  :-*

Really? I thought is voice was pretty bad the 2nd night (he did hardly sing on EBW, it was almost talking), and my friend who where there the first night said it was even worse.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
His voice sounded strong in Amsterdam. Maybe a little tired but it was a great show, saw them closer than ever. So much energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE  :-*

Really? I thought is voice was pretty bad the 2nd night (he did hardly sing on EBW, it was almost talking), and my friend who where there the first night said it was even worse.

I thought he had a strong voice and loved it. Was in GA first night. Think it's all subjective anyway. The fact he's a bit older counts, and that's normal to me. He's human .......

Offline sailornick

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:28 AM »
Also we must acknowlege that MTV  was a rested one-off pertormance whereas EBW is sung 15 songs into a show. Hardly a fair comparison. That being said I think he has sounded consistently great all tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 03:20:28 AM »
Bono's voice has been very inconsistent for a long time....as he has got older it has got more inconsistent.

It is the depth and range that has gone - leaving a thin voice that when it is in decent shape is ok but when it is worn it really shows and he sounds terrible.

He shouts a lot these days to appear to be sounding strong but that just tires his voice more.

His range at both extremes is shot and he can't go up to where he could or down to where he could....he has largely settled a bit like the music the band make for the middle ground with the odd exception where he pushes towards either extreme with mixed results.

Longer gaps in the schedule between shows would help, like anything as you get older things take more out of you and you need more rest and revovery after exertion.

WOWY is the song that over time shows what has happened to Bono's voice the most.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:26:37 AM by an tha »