Author Topic: Bono's voice deteriorating???  (Read 6715 times)

Offline jpodrug

• Babyface
Re: Bono's voice deteriorating???
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 04:18:26 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono's voice has been very inconsistent for a long time....as he has got older it has got more inconsistent.

It is the depth and range that has gone - leaving a thin voice that when it is in decent shape is ok but when it is worn it really shows and he sounds terrible.

He shouts a lot these days to appear to be sounding strong but that just tires his voice more.

His range at both extremes is shot and he can't go up to where he could or down to where he could....he has largely settled a bit like the music the band make for the middle ground with the odd exception where he pushes towards either extreme with mixed results.

Longer gaps in the schedule between shows would help, like anything as you get older things take more out of you and you need more rest and revovery after exertion.

WOWY is the song that over time shows what has happened to Bono's voice the most.

Exactly.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 04:35:14 AM »
Poor Bono can't catch a break. I will take his singing any way I can get it off key or spot on. He will always be fine by me. Tired voice or not. It is what it is.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
Listening live from Amsterdam sounds damn good to me.

Offline MacJoost

• Refugee
  • Mother, am I still your son?
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Yeah, fresh sea air did him good  ;D

Waffles

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »
Also we must acknowlege that MTV  was a rested one-off pertormance whereas EBW is sung 15 songs into a show. Hardly a fair comparison. That being said I think he has sounded consistently great all tour.

This

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
Compare his voice now with the late 90's or early 00's. If you think his voice is in worse shape now, you don't know what you're talking about.

Offline barbiemom4

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »
I thought his voice sounded awesome for most of this tour.He naturally will have some off nights, but I love how he is singing in the deeper voice and he really does rock the fast ones.I think that the feeling he sings with actually makes me feel and picture the songs.He has always done this well.

Offline RathfarnhamU2Fan

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
He hasn't been singing this well since ZooTv.Popmart was pretty bad,he had really lost it back then and it took time to come back.Miss Sarajevo in Milan 2005 was the first sign he was regaining something he had lost.

Offline Connordo

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
We all lose our voices over time, just go check out van halen lately and you will see as diamond Dave is now just a lounge singer with an amazing guitarist behind him.  When Bono starts to talk sing like that, it is time to call it quits but he is still a long way away from that, I hope!!!

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
I think he has never sounded better His voice sounds more clearer on certain songs and powerful. Every singer has off nights on certain notes he is no exception. He bounces back brilliantly. I loved every show I went to on this tour so much that I tune in to every show they play when I can.I don't have anything negative to say about the singing. Love it all.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
I think he has never sounded better His voice sounds more clearer on certain songs and powerful. Every singer has off nights on certain notes he is no exception. He bounces back brilliantly. I loved every show I went to on this tour so much that I tune in to every show they play when I can.I don't have anything negative to say about the singing. Love it all.

Clearly you have never heard a show from 1978-1998.

I don't have any negatives to say about the current tour regarding his voice - although the way he delivers some of the songs and the choice of songs is a little wrong sometimes (With Or Without You should NEVER be played live again). Ok, that's a negative, sorry  ;)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:39 PM »
He was also a very young man back then. I am not comparing his voice to back then.And yes I did see them back in the early days of their career. His voice is better than it has been, even he agrees and has said it himself.His voice obviously has changed over the years for sure,and at this stage in their career right now it sounds pretty good to me. There certainly are some of the older songs that sometimes he struggles with the notes,again age is the reason but he makes it work and that's fine by me.I don't live in the past either I have seen U2 throughout since the beginning. I too was younger.To each his own obviously opinions vary.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:58:21 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »
the October from the other night was pretty powerful.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »

Clearly you have never heard a show from 1978-1998.

I don't have any negatives to say about the current tour regarding his voice - although the way he delivers some of the songs and the choice of songs is a little wrong sometimes (With Or Without You should NEVER be played live again). Ok, that's a negative, sorry  ;)

I agree it's absurd to say his voice has never been better but let's face it; 1978-1993, not 1998. PopMart was fantastic but Bono's voice was not one of its highlights. Though I think Elevation was probably the nadir.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
Listening live from Amsterdam sounds damn good to me.

He sounded strong to me, i was there. The crowd was so into it and that gives him energy.