Author Topic: Bono's voice deteriorating???  (Read 6722 times)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: Bono's voice deteriorating???
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
I love the way he sounds now. In the past he sounded great also, considering all that has happened to him health wise and ageing he sounds great to me. No complaints here.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:55:38 AM by mariamontreal »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think he has never sounded better His voice sounds more clearer on certain songs and powerful. Every singer has off nights on certain notes he is no exception. He bounces back brilliantly. I loved every show I went to on this tour so much that I tune in to every show they play when I can.I don't have anything negative to say about the singing. Love it all.

Clearly you have never heard a show from 1978-1998.

I don't have any negatives to say about the current tour regarding his voice - although the way he delivers some of the songs and the choice of songs is a little wrong sometimes (With Or Without You should NEVER be played live again). Ok, that's a negative, sorry  ;)

I agree it's absurd to say his voice has never been better but let's face it; 1978-1993, not 1998. PopMart was fantastic but Bono's voice was not one of its highlights. Though I think Elevation was probably the nadir.

I would agree with you there with the one exception being the show in Leeds. His voice was on fire that night.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
I heard some songs on the last night in Amsterdam and he sounded pretty good to me.  perhaps reports of the demise of his voice are premature.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
I heard some songs on the last night in Amsterdam and he sounded pretty good to me.  perhaps reports of the demise of his voice are premature.

I totally agree he sounds much better than I expected.

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »
His voice is incredible on this tour the New York gigs I attended he was top drawer

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »

I think I wrote this in another thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again. When I was at the Amsterdam concert the other night -well, if that's what you call a deteriorating voice, I don't know which singer would ever meet your expectations! B's voice was really powerful all throughout the show, his pitch was precise, and his vibrato on the longer notes (Every Breaking Wave, Song for Someone..) was hands down beautiful.

I saw someone here wrote that Bono mostly shouts these days, which clearly isn't true. The only times I heard him 'shout' during the show, was in the songs that demanded it. I mean, when it was fitting for the emotional character or the narrative of the song. For instance, he certainly didn't shout October! Speaking of October, that last sustained note made the crowd a collective goosebumps party. Heavenly.

So please don't judge Bono's vocals based on if you've heard one or two weaker performances. To be on top 100% of the time is not natural and is unrealistic to expect of any singer as active as he is these days with touring, travelling and performing. He is doing pretty damn good!
 Of course he doesn't sound like he did when he was 30 or 20 years younger, that would be weird. But personally, I don't think that's a bad thing. He seems to have gained a lot better control over his voice and the different aspects of it over the years. And from what I can hear, he is singing in a lot more 'healthy' technical way these days that does a lot less damage on his voice. That way he will probably be able to keep his singing voice for many more years to come! :)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 03:40:20 PM »
I am 100% in agreement with you and I feel the same way about his voice. He is sounding fantastic on this tour

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
I am 100% in agreement with you and I feel the same way about his voice. He is sounding fantastic on this tour

yay !!  ;D

Offline Jdelbove

• Wanderer
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
I think Bono voice has been excellent pretty much throughout the tour.  During the start of the second leg he was having some trouble.  I was getting scared he was loosing it.  But he sounded amazing in Berlin from the videos.  Check of out this performance of with or without you from Stockholm - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great singing throughout but has he ever sung the intro better and 1:20-1:40 wow!  His voice is strong and he has a lot of control these days.  I'm looking forward to hearing his current voice on SOE.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
I was in Berlin the other week and he sounded ace ... I was also at the Leeds Popmart show where he was also ace