Author Topic: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Has anyone felt that the crowd energy has been much less this tour than in the past?

I became a U2 fan sometime in 2001 after ATYCLB. I've seen them on the last three tours (multiple shows for 360 and I+E), and I couldn't help but notice that the energy of the crowd seems much less on this current tour than in the past. It seems that whenever the band pulls out a rare song (which they've done several times) or even walks by on the catwalk, instead of cheering, people are pulling out their phones and taking pictures/videos. I myself am guilty of this.

Don't get me wrong... I'm very grateful to see so many high quality videos of the shows. But I just watched one of THBAO, and instead of people going crazy, they were all just filming... I think this is much more prevalent this tour than previous ones. On Vertigo, cell phone cameras sucked, and even on the 360 tour, smartphones weren't nearly as ubiquitous as they are now. I was in the GA for both 360 and I+E, and the energy on 360 was much greater, hands down.

I wonder if this gets to the band? I was on the catwalk at NYC #2 and noticed they made very little eye contact with the crowd, probably because they knew everyone was just snapping pictures. They're doing everything they can to be close and connect with the audience...but they can't because people are just taking videos on their phones. Again, I'm guilty of this, though I try to resist it.

Anyone else feel this way? (I know Willie Williams seemed frustrated that there don't seem to be any surprises anymore.) I know that I like seeing the videos, but if it kills the magical communal experience that is a U2 show, I can do without.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
Re: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Yes it's frustrating but it's the same at any concert, not just U2. By all means take a few pictures but it seems as though people take pictures all the time and never put their phones away. Can you not just take a picture during one song?

Offline NalesRomatti

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
Also guilty of this....

First night Amsterdam i was up front, south side, filming stuff when The Edge was right in front of me.
Saw him looking at me, felt guilty filming and not being full in the moment.

Then i decided to film only a few short things that where still to come. And really enjoying the rest of the show.
Later again he appeared right in front of me and i gave him a wink, with the thumbs up. Few moment later, again eye contact en he returned the wink and a thumbs up.

Edge seemed to have a lot fun that evening.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:10:48 PM »
If it weren't for mobile phones, no Mixlr or YouTube clips, or Periscope.

But ffs, at the LA shows there were people having cell phone conversations in GA during "Bad" and other classics, or doing group selfies with the band behind them. Just a-hole behavior.

I certainly took plenty of photos but I'd like to think I did it fast and put away my phone, so as not to affect others' views/enjoyment of the show.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
Ruins every gig to be honest. But you can't complain about the atmosphere if you're watching on periscope.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »
Of course everyone wants a picture of their show, especially if you're up close to the band, however actually talking on the phone or taking selfies is just taking it way too far.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 08:35:38 PM »
Absolutely, it's pointless that so many have their phones out the majority of the show to take pictures and videos. It's not like somebody else isn't recording. A few pictures is fine, but anything else is absurd.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
I have no problem with it as long as it's not impeding my ability to enjoy the concert. I understand that people (including myself) want pictures.

Offline u2gw

• Babyface
  • Eclipsed by the moon...
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
I only managed to make it to one show on the North American leg--Chicago 5, where all kinds of stuff happened in the setlist (basically, the open slots for that show went to Gloria, California, Ordinary Love, Bad and 40). But through a hurried process of getting checked into the hotel and trying to make it to the United Center before the show started, I accidentally left my phone in my luggage and had no personal device at all until I got back to the room.

I have loved, loved, LOVED getting to watch other people's Periscope feeds or listen to Mixlr, but I have to say that--at least for me--being at that show without my phone was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. If you really want to enjoy the show you're attending, either turn the phone off completely or just don't bring it with you. I didn't do it on purpose, but it's the most fun I've had at a U2 concert in years.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
I deliberately left my camera and phone at home when I went to the rosebowl.

Especially those seeing multiple shows, at least for 1 show, forget about it. You'll enjoy it more.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
I'm so in the moment, I guess I don't notice it.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
Cell phones are a cancer on the world.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
The band have each show professionally filmed.  I don't see why they don't just try to discourage filming in the venue so that everyone has a better time, and then make each show available as a download or stream afterwards for a certain price.

Pearl jam do a similar thing with audio, making each convert available to download afterwards; surely wouldn't be too hard to do the same with video?

The result - a more engaged audience, better quality videos, more satisfied fans, more money in the U2 coffers.  Everyone wins!

strudelwithcream

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
as long as they don't get in my way I don't care.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Camera phones are the scourge of the modern day. They aren't just spoiling concerts they're turning people in to morons. Morons who feels the need to tell the internet about every blooming thing they do. What they eat. Where they go. Who they see. I liked it when nobody had a mobile. I don't have one. Never had one and never will.