Author Topic: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I deliberately left my camera and phone at home when I went to the rosebowl.

Especially those seeing multiple shows, at least for 1 show, forget about it. You'll enjoy it more.

I have to admit, I made a pact with a friend to not pull the camera out during the Rose Bowl, but couldn't help myself   :-\ But I mostly only used it in songs I'm not too keen on, just at the start of songs. Plus I certainly didn't hold a camera/phone above my head, I hate that stuff!

This time - if I can get away with it - I'm hoping to take in a very small action cam, attach it to my side or the rail (peeking over the top). Set it, & forget it. Won't be brilliant quality, but it will be a momento of my personal experience.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
They are spoiling pretty much every kind of event....sport, gigs etc.

As are people using their phones and other devices to tweet, update facey etc.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
how does other people behaviour with these kind of devices ruin anything for you as a concert goer?  as long as you don't join in with the nonsense, what's it to you?

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
Be in the moment, experience the show, for gosh sakes.
Back in the late '90's , I used to record audio of concerts but realized it was a distraction for me, and was looking forward to hearing the shows on my tape than the actual live version I was experiencing. I stopped recording... :)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »
how does other people behaviour with these kind of devices ruin anything for you as a concert goer?  as long as you don't join in with the nonsense, what's it to you?

I'm not 10' tall, & phones/cameras are not invisible. I struggle to see over/around people's heads enough as it is, without having to look over/around peoples devices (with their distracting LED screens blasting straight at me).

If I'm taking a photo, it's only for a second (not like someone who videos a whole show), I try to hold the camera at chest height (or eye level occasionally), & I turn the brightness on the LED screen all the way down (I'd turn the screen off, if the camera would let me). Obviously no flash, distracting for concert goers & performers alike, not to mention it does nothing for the shots.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
I'm reminded of a Louis CK joke about parents filming their kids school shows;

"Why are you filming this? You're NEVER gonna watch it!
Everyone is watching a tiny, sh//tty movie of something that's happening 3 feet in front of their face".

I'm going to Glasgow gig in November. No videos, no photos. I've paid 140 for this ticket so I'm gonna actually watch the show. Not watch the show through my phone.

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »
I have that complaint by my wife if I sit behind my screen all the time, listening to mixlr, but other than that ... no.

Since I usually sit up in the seated area, I hardly notice it.
Soaking up the visuals, the sounds and having a lot of fun.
I forget all about the audience.

I did get annoyed once when my temporarely neigbours were talking about their daily job all the time.
I remember that irritated me more than the cellphones.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

I'm not 10' tall, & phones/cameras are not invisible. I struggle to see over/around people's heads enough as it is, without having to look over/around peoples devices (with their distracting LED screens blasting straight at me).

If I'm taking a photo, it's only for a second (not like someone who videos a whole show), I try to hold the camera at chest height (or eye level occasionally), & I turn the brightness on the LED screen all the way down (I'd turn the screen off, if the camera would let me). Obviously no flash, distracting for concert goers & performers alike, not to mention it does nothing for the shots.

oh for sure, if someone held a camera above eye level and it blocked my view I'd politely ask them to lower it and if they ignored me I'd knock the phone out of their hand and then ignore their reaction.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
Live events are a team sport. The atmosphere created by everyone in attendance creates something either flat or magical.

Phones kill this.

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
For Vertigo and 360, I have to admit that I was guilty of bringing a camera and snapping away.  But I tried to find a balance between taking pictures and enjoying the show.

This tour, I decided to just enjoy the shows.  And I'm so glad that I did.  It was only then that I noticed how many people are whipping out their phones and filming something that isn't going to come out that great anyway.

I knew the phones were getting bad when Bono is saying "put down your phones" while singing Mysterious Ways.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »
It was insane at times in Amsterdam, all you could see were phones in the air. It definitely kills the atmosphere. I remember GA was all about moshing and jumping up and down. Now you get dirty looks from people if you nudge them and affect their recording process. Sad state of affairs. Sure take a clip or 2 for posterity, but keep it to that. When you are watching more of the gig through your phone rather than with your own eyes you have a serious lack of perspective(irony!).

Offline The Fly

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »

To me, concerts are a communal experience. The energy, the shared love of the music, singing along... that's all what makes it so special. The problem is when people aren't really together in it; they're in their own world filming.

I think it definitely affects the band. You can't connect with someone if their phone is in the way. I think it's different than sports where the athletes are playing the game and often have to ignore the crowd (especially if they're the away team). With music, it's about the connection between the band and the crowd. It's about being in this moment together. If the band feels like their audiences are disconnected, I wonder if it will discourage them from touring. I hope not!

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »
It definitely affects the band. I don't think majorly, and they might get so used to it they won't mind at all, but would you rather someone dancing, singing, applauding, or standing there like a voyeur filming you.

Offline zummo

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »
I taped concerts for years, which actually is pretty un-obtrusive when you had the attitude I did which was get the mics in the hat, and roll and deal with whats around you. That being, I didn't tell people to be quiet or get weird on them. I felt it was up to me to move a bit when I had crazy concert kook next to me. The phone thing is like 100x worse, first of all you can't see through them very easily, and there need not to be 400 up at the b stage. You literally can't see because of the angle sometimes. And lets face it the real morons are the ones who tape half a song, or 30 seconds.....whats the point there? 80% of these being filmed are useless anyway (incomplete). And it does take a toll on the energy in GA, but considering the U2 crowd is significantly older (rightfully they sell GA to us in the fanclub, and we are not usually young) or hand picked by U2 in some cities (enormous VIP lists of donors to various bono deals who really are not into the band) that also plays a large part in the makeup of GA being different

strudelwithcream

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
It definitely affects the band. I don't think majorly, and they might get so used to it they won't mind at all, but would you rather someone dancing, singing, applauding, or standing there like a voyeur filming you.

I'm sure the band are used to being looked at.