Author Topic: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?  (Read 2451 times)

strudelwithcream

Re: Are cellphone cameras ruining the tour?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
how does other people behaviour with these kind of devices ruin anything for you as a concert goer?  as long as you don't join in with the nonsense, what's it to you?

To me, concerts are a communal experience. The energy, the shared love of the music, singing along... that's all what makes it so special. The problem is when people aren't really together in it; they're in their own world filming.

but then I'm in my own world watching the concert and listening intently.  I don't really notice the atmosphere to be honest.  I just don't like the idea of anyone obstructing my view.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »

look at the bloody girl getting right in their faces filming them up on stage.  and people say the band don't like it and that it affects their performance.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
If there is someone near you who won't put their phone/camera away, then make sure you add some awful, off key singing to ruin their precious footage. Or you could "accidentally" barge into them.

Offline summerrain

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Here's the bands POV about it

“There were less here than there were in Italy,” says Bono of the number of phones he saw pointed in his direction the evening prior. By now the group has finished soundcheck — it took them several tries, but they finally nailed that transition — and are killing time on stage before the doors open and another sold-out crowd comes spilling in.

“In Italy it turns out everybody and their mother was doing it,” adds Larry.

“And their daughter and friends,” says Bono.

Adam steps up to offer his appeal.

“I think what it has instituted,” he says, “and you see it a lot from the stage, is the minute there’s not much to look at, people go to their phones, and they start to check their emails and stuff. That’s a new phenomenon.”

“That’s not what I am talking about,” Larry says to Adam. “What I am talking about is when there is something happening, the phone comes up to record it, which is a different response.”

The band soon begins a back-and-forth dialogue on the tenets of smartphone usage at concerts and what it all means, for both current and future artists. Bono eventually offers a philosophical end to the discussion.

“These songs have strong emotional attachments to people, so one way of looking at it, it’s like a kid scoring a goal or a child taking its first steps and having his mates have a photo of it,” he says. “Seeing Edge operate that pedal board, I feel like that every night.”

“I am like a child taking a first step?” replies The Edge, who chuckles.

Offline Wolf359

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
I think the band has done a great job of embracing it and the whole meerkat bit they do each show is a good example of that. I like how they seem to just roll with it instead of fighting it (like Jack White, for instance).

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »
Thanks for all your postings. Great opinions. And yes, I do think that cell phone use has exploded and ruins the event for band and audience.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 08:40:22 PM »

I think the band has done a great job of embracing it and the whole meerkat bit they do each show is a good example of that. I like how they seem to just roll with it instead of fighting it (like Jack White, for instance).

That's a good point.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 03:47:34 AM »
I wish they would just use the huge f$%k off screen that they have to put up a message. 'We would really prefer it if you didn't use your cellphones. You'll enjoy it more. We'll enjoy it more'.

That's it, no militant Prince style security threatening to smash phones, but a reminder that's it's just not necessary.

Actually, what would be a good idea is when someone is brought on stage for the 'meerkat' bit, that person should lob the iphone into the crowd and just dance around on stage. There's a statement.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:54:34 AM by briscoetheque »

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 04:04:24 AM »
 ;D ^ spot on!

Offline jenniferh aka jen

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 08:23:29 AM »
I agree with both Larry and Adam on the issue. At my shows there were a lot of people taking pictures and filming. I took some photos but kept the phone in my pocket most of the time.

I did notice that during the Edge and Bono show that there were a lot of people checking email/twitter/Facebook. - this was in the GA section and not too much in the seats.

But trying to watch the band through a sea of phones is annoying.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
I always find it funny to read through threads like this.  Everyone is so anti cell phones at concerts, but yet when the thread is made for each show day, the first 1-3 pages are dominated by people asking for periscope and mixlr feeds and then later on there is usually another page or two of people complaining that those feeds are not working properly.  You do understand that those happen because someone is using their cell phone at the show, right?  If that person wasn't holding up their phone the entire show to video stream it, then you wouldn't be able to sit on your couch at home and watch the show, so you could then come online and complain about all of the cell phones being used at the show.  Quite the predicament that some of you put yourselves in. :)

I do agree that the use of phones and cameras at shows is getting to be a bit extreme.  I definitely took some pictures and a few 30 second or so videos during the shows I attended, but I didn't keep my phone or camera up the entire time and was sure to not be blocking anyone's view when I did hold it up.  There were two guys in front of me during NYC 1 that I swore took more selfies than a couple of teenage girls.  I could see their screens each time they turned around to take a picture or video and I'm guessing over half of what they took was nothing more than a blurry mess when they scrolled through their gallery the next day.  Thankfully, their behavior was more annoying than obstructive of anyone's view, so my sister and I just sort of laughed at them and went back to enjoying the show.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
There is a difference with Periscope and Mixlr streams. If you are in the seats then you do not have to hold the phone above your head as chest level is better. Mixlr's don't need to be held above the head either, just far enough up to alleviate a muffle or something. In GA, it's a different story and that is the place with the biggest annoyance.

I have Periscoped from the seats and kept the phone at chest level. I didn't need to watch the show through my phone.

strudelwithcream

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
I wish they would just use the huge f$%k off screen that they have to put up a message. 'We would really prefer it if you didn't use your cellphones. You'll enjoy it more. We'll enjoy it more'.

That's it, no militant Prince style security threatening to smash phones, but a reminder that's it's just not necessary.

Actually, what would be a good idea is when someone is brought on stage for the 'meerkat' bit, that person should lob the iphone into the crowd and just dance around on stage. There's a statement.

I prefer the Sonny Corleone approach to dealing with unauthorized photographers.

Offline Deco

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
YES, take a pic and put the phone away and simply enough the show. Be there in the now.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »
I am very grateful for the kind people who provide us with the feeds so we can be a part of a show taking place in another continent.