Author Topic: What U2 song are you addicted to right now?  (Read 12182 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: What U2 song are you addicted to right now?
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He uses the Explorer on With or Without You? I thought he always used the infinite for that one.
The Explorer goes WAY back...to the beginning, I think. Although I think I read somewhere that the original Explorer had to be retired, so this one is a newer one. I was THRILLED at the SOI show in Phoenix...our seats were very close to the Edge end of the stage (GREAT view of the entire band, but especially Edge), and before the show Dallas came out to test or tune or whatever the Explorer.
You're right.  He used the Explorer on Ultraviolet and switched to the Infinite for With or Without You.

I only saw U2 live once (I know, totally not like everyone else on this forum :), but when I did see them in Milwaukee in 2005 on the Vertigo Tour, I took my then 7-year old step-son (who I got into U2), and we had General Admission tickets.  We found out when we got there that at the band's orders, any children with their parents who had GA tickets automatically get inside the circular catwalk they used on that tour, whatever it was called.  I deliberately stood on Edge's side of the stage so I could watch him.  I was close enough to see the slide guitar thing on his finger during "Bullet" and a few other songs, and I could also read the "Gibson" and "Fender" on the head stocks of his guitars!  During "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," I was singing the words, and Edge saw me, made eye contact and smiled at me!  I always tell that story!

Holy crap, Lightmyway, I am pretty much drooling over that. You are SO lucky! I'm so happy for you...wow. I love guitars (and, of course, especially Edge guitars)...would give anything to be so close. I used to play guitar (piano, too), but my hand got closed in a car door years ago...one finger pretty much crushed. So much for my musical career. But, that's okay...at least I can still appreciate a nice guitar and rig. I was thrilled just to be as close as we were to Edge...I could see him play pretty well, but not as well as you. Good for you! Never forget.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
He uses the Explorer on With or Without You? I thought he always used the infinite for that one.
The Explorer goes WAY back...to the beginning, I think. Although I think I read somewhere that the original Explorer had to be retired, so this one is a newer one. I was THRILLED at the SOI show in Phoenix...our seats were very close to the Edge end of the stage (GREAT view of the entire band, but especially Edge), and before the show Dallas came out to test or tune or whatever the Explorer.
You're right.  He used the Explorer on Ultraviolet and switched to the Infinite for With or Without You.

I only saw U2 live once (I know, totally not like everyone else on this forum :), but when I did see them in Milwaukee in 2005 on the Vertigo Tour, I took my then 7-year old step-son (who I got into U2), and we had General Admission tickets.  We found out when we got there that at the band's orders, any children with their parents who had GA tickets automatically get inside the circular catwalk they used on that tour, whatever it was called.  I deliberately stood on Edge's side of the stage so I could watch him.  I was close enough to see the slide guitar thing on his finger during "Bullet" and a few other songs, and I could also read the "Gibson" and "Fender" on the head stocks of his guitars!  During "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," I was singing the words, and Edge saw me, made eye contact and smiled at me!  I always tell that story!

Holy crap, Lightmyway, I am pretty much drooling over that. You are SO lucky! I'm so happy for you...wow. I love guitars (and, of course, especially Edge guitars)...would give anything to be so close. I used to play guitar (piano, too), but my hand got closed in a car door years ago...one finger pretty much crushed. So much for my musical career. But, that's okay...at least I can still appreciate a nice guitar and rig. I was thrilled just to be as close as we were to Edge...I could see him play pretty well, but not as well as you. Good for you! Never forget.
The funny thing was, as much as I wanted to watch Edge, I kept being drawn back to Bono, and not just because he's the singer.  His stage presence is huge!  Also, being that close I couldn't experience much of the light show, but being that close to the band more than made up for that!

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
Was Miracle Drug a month ago, then it was New Year's Day, now it's A Sort of Homecoming

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
A Sort of Homecoming, always

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2016, 07:02:41 PM »
City Of Blinding Lights

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »

The funny thing was, as much as I wanted to watch Edge, I kept being drawn back to Bono, and not just because he's the singer.  His stage presence is huge!  Also, being that close I couldn't experience much of the light show, but being that close to the band more than made up for that!

That IS funny...about being drawn back to Bono versus watching Edge play, but I totally agree. I've always called it "The Bono Show"...he is a great front man. I appreciated him so much more after seeing them in person. And, yeah, you being that close to the band in general...wooo hooo! If I could handle being that physically close to a bunch of strangers, I'd love to be in the GA sometime, but I think I'd freak. And, like I said the seats we had in Phoenix were unbelievable anyway. Oh, man, I need a U2 fix bad! Sure wish they'd continue this tour...back in Phoenix again especially!

LightMyWay92

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

That IS funny...about being drawn back to Bono versus watching Edge play, but I totally agree. I've always called it "The Bono Show"...he is a great front man. I appreciated him so much more after seeing them in person. And, yeah, you being that close to the band in general...wooo hooo! If I could handle being that physically close to a bunch of strangers, I'd love to be in the GA sometime, but I think I'd freak. And, like I said the seats we had in Phoenix were unbelievable anyway. Oh, man, I need a U2 fix bad! Sure wish they'd continue this tour...back in Phoenix again especially!
I remember the GA being fun and social, almost a party atmosphere!  I remember me and some girl near me that I didn't even know correcting Bono to each other when he messed up the lyrics to "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses."  They did that song acoustically with Bono and Edge on the catwalk.  You could tell that they hadn't played it in a while.  Of course I love that song!  They also played "The First Time" acoustically.  That was great as well!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »
Well, I'm SO glad you had that experience...you'll never forget that night!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
The Troubles

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:24 AM »
Tchad Blake remix of SLABT.....

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Does anyone get addicted to the less than stellar U2 songs?

I often find myself addicted to Some Days Are Better Than Others.  Lyrically, I find it a bit of a silly song, but that's what I like about it.  Otherwise, I'm almost always addicted to Zooropa, One Tree Hill, and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2016, 12:02:15 PM »
I think also the "little songs" have some great lyrics.

In Some days are better than others for example I like this line:
some days you use more force than is necessary

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
Yes! I love "Luminous Times, Hold on to Love"...a little song...with big meanings for me.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
Lately...."Song for Someone"

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
This week (again) it's Red Hill Mining Town...