Author Topic: Thoughts on Amsterdam 4's debut song [SPOILERS]  (Read 2423 times)

Waffles

Thoughts on Amsterdam 4's debut song [SPOILERS]
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Which yall thoughts? I don't like it at all. The studio version they played live was beautiful and the best imho. The last leg of 360 remix was just okay but I don't understand this new version at all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:31:54 PM by Droo »

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
Re: Thoughts on Amsterdam 4's debut song [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
I personally think this is terrible. The electronic sounding effects don't fit the song. I think of magnificent as a sweet song, not a song that came straight out of the 90s (not knocking the 90s, it's their best decade). And Bono seemed out of sync in some parts. I didn't like the chorus either. And I'm with you, the studio soundin version played on 360 was beautiful, just like the album version. It's a top 5 U2 song for me, and I'm happy they atleast played a song from no line.

And this is completely opinionated, so if you absolutely love it, more power to you!

Waffles

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I personally think this is terrible. The electronic sounding effects don't fit the song. I think of magnificent as a sweet song, not a song that came straight out of the 90s (not knocking the 90s, it's their best decade). And Bono seemed out of sync in some parts. I didn't like the chorus either. And I'm with you, the studio soundin version played on 360 was beautiful, just like the album version. It's a top 5 U2 song for me, and I'm happy they atleast played a song from no line.

And this is completely opinionated, so if you absolutely love it, more power to you!

Spot on how I feel. I love edges voice too but his singing on this isn't doing it for me.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:16:57 PM »

Spot on how I feel. I love edges voice too but his singing on this isn't doing it for me.
yeah I thought edges vocals seemed a little out of place too

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
The original version is much better, but at least they added it and gave it a go, a different approach to it but they still played it! Was it good so so it was different.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:44:51 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »
Love it. Sounds energetic and tight, and feels like it would fit on War pretty snug. Also really dig the call and response vocals from Bono and Edge.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
No loving the reworked Zooropa or Magnificent.  What I do love is they are taking a few chances and risks, attempting to present the materiel on a new way, which is fantastic!  I would rather this then just cookie cutter, note for note album performances.

Keep at it boys!

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »
I think it's absolutely FANTASTIC, especially with it sped up a bit and more vocals from Edge.  As I mentioned in the Amsterdam thread, I wonder if this was what they were going for originally when it was called French Disco.  Should have ended it with the 'justified until we die / you and I will magnify / the Magnificent' line instead of 'magnificent' over and over though!

strudelwithcream

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
What I do love is they are taking a few chances and risks, attempting to present the materiel on a new way, which is fantastic!  I would rather this then just cookie cutter, note for note album performances.

this is what I've wanted for years. but with that we have to accept that we might not like the new presentation

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 01:25:20 AM »
Slightly better version of an awful song. Still would rather never see it again.

Magnificent is a u2 by numbers tune. Sounds like a crap band trying to emulate them. Terrible.

Offline NotComingDown

• Refugee
  • Now my username is in two songs! Thanks, Levitate.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:50 AM »
Which yall thoughts? I don't like it at all. The studio version they played live was beautiful and the best imho. The last leg of 360 remix was just okay but I don't understand this new version at all.

I love that they played it (anything from NLOTH would make me smile), but I couldn't really enjoy it. On 360 it was big, powerful, exciting, LOUD. That opening chord hits and the whole place shook...instead they made it light, poppy, funky, whatever - they kinda killed everything I loved about it. I know it's a different environment and a different place in the set, but it just felt wrong to me.

360 was my first U2 concert experience, so I'm probably just attached to it.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 03:26:26 AM »
I thought it was great! The more NLOTH, the better.

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:36:53 AM »

I love that they played it (anything from NLOTH would make me smile), but I couldn't really enjoy it. On 360 it was big, powerful, exciting, LOUD. That opening chord hits and the whole place shook...instead they made it light, poppy, funky, whatever - they kinda killed everything I loved about it. I know it's a different environment and a different place in the set, but it just felt wrong to me.

this is how I feel

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »
This doesn't mean a POP song is in the horizon.

Cheers,

J

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »

Then you might want to check out this deviation of the song from the 360 tour in Denver: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I like the way they did it in Amsterdam.