Author Topic: Thoughts on Amsterdam 4's debut song [SPOILERS]  (Read 2421 times)

Offline AltonDalton

• Refugee
  • My heads still in the mud, baby
Re: Thoughts on Amsterdam 4's debut song [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They just should have played it like they did in 2009

Can i ask why?
I feel like they should have just played it safe this one time and played a song the way it's worked previously. And I just prefer the 2009 version to other ones as it's much more like the album and maintains the magic of the album version as well as it could have. I'm open to experimentation, but maybe for songs we've heard a lot recently, like bullet, WOWY, or mysterious ways.

Waffles

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
I listened a few more times and it's growing. But I can't get past the vocals. Edges singing in it is unpleasant for me. Also Bono is out of time on this so we'll see how it sounds with more practice. If you take away the vocals in this version, it's a great club song. Definitely something I could dance to. Makes me want to hear that dance-rock record they were doing with will.i.am

Boom Cha!

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »
I think it sounded much better than the studio version or live during 360.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »
Dreadful song and there is a saying that springs to mind 'you can't polish a turd'

Band has a great back catalouge full of great songs they could dip into and they pull this lame duck out.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »
Dreadful song and there is a saying that springs to mind 'you can't polish a turd'

Band has a great back catalouge full of great songs they could dip into and they pull this lame duck out.

Could not agree more.

Baffling choice.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 06:33:11 AM »
The original songs intro is quite good but I find the whole song mediocre. That chorus is just soooooo bland. Love this, love that, the same old guitar work....boring.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Y'all would give it props if it was released in the 80's I bet. Or not dissing it as much, at least.

It's a bit of a throwback in many ways (unlike ATYCLB and HTDAAB, which are wrongly categorised in this way), but it's a classy tune and quintessentially U2. It's mystical, atmospheric soundscape is one that isn't easily replicated.

If the bulk of U2's work harked back to TUF era then I could see why people would get fed up with their sound, but I don't understand the mindset of a U2 fan hating this song, when it's the first time they sounded like this for 20 years. Doesn't make sense to me, even given the weighted popularity of their 90's output on these forums.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 07:34:44 AM »
Y'all would give it props if it was released in the 80's I bet. Or not dissing it as much, at least.

It's a bit of a throwback in many ways (unlike ATYCLB and HTDAAB, which are wrongly categorised in this way), but it's a classy tune and quintessentially U2. It's mystical, atmospheric soundscape is one that isn't easily replicated.

If the bulk of U2's work harked back to TUF era then I could see why people would get fed up with their sound, but I don't understand the mindset of a U2 fan hating this song, when it's the first time they sounded like this for 20 years. Doesn't make sense to me, even given the weighted popularity of their 90's output on these forums.

It's precisely that it sounds like a poor imitation of a classic u2 song that it is bland and boring. As I said in another thread, it's like "u2-by-numbers" at its absolute worst.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »

You see I don't see it as a throwback or reminiscent of atmospheric classic U2 at all.

It for me distills a lot of the worst of U2 in the 00's - clunky lyrics - horrible slide solo, over produced sound, pop veneer.

It's all subjective but I just could never get on with it.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
Best version of Magnificent ever. However that's not hard as the NLOTH/360 version is garbage.

I like this new take on the song, much more listenable.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Which yall thoughts? I don't like it at all. The studio version they played live was beautiful and the best imho. The last leg of 360 remix was just okay but I don't understand this new version at all.

I love that they played it (anything from NLOTH would make me smile), but I couldn't really enjoy it. On 360 it was big, powerful, exciting, LOUD. That opening chord hits and the whole place shook...instead they made it light, poppy, funky, whatever - they kinda killed everything I loved about it. I know it's a different environment and a different place in the set, but it just felt wrong to me.

360 was my first U2 concert experience, so I'm probably just attached to it.

Then you might want to check out this deviation of the song from the 360 tour in Denver: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I like the way they did it in Amsterdam.
That version is horrible,,

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »
I listened a few more times and it's growing. But I can't get past the vocals. Edges singing in it is unpleasant for me. Also Bono is out of time on this so we'll see how it sounds with more practice. If you take away the vocals in this version, it's a great club song. Definitely something I could dance to. Makes me want to hear that dance-rock record they were doing with will.i.am

Gotta agree. Edge (my darling with the angelic voice) sounds like a karaoke sing-along. Maybe we can blame the sound master Joe O-Hirly for not having time to blend Edge's voice on this new addition to the tour?

Oh well, Magnificent is just a funsy novelty on this tour anyhow. Shows there are experimenting. Props.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 10:29:27 PM »
The shift in sound reminds me of the changes made to EBTTRT for the last two tours, which suggests to me this is how Magnificent sounded at an earlier stage of development. It's not that it's bad - though I would've preferred the arrangement I heard in 2011 - it just sounds like it belongs at a show six years in the past.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »
Props to them for daring to put Magnificent experiment on the Meerkat camera. They deliberately did not have a Meerkat person when they debuted Crystal Ballroom at Chicago 4.

Unpopular opinion, but my favorite my far is the short-lived version from 2011 with Tutu's voice ("None of us can be human by ourselves, blahblah"). Bono's spiritual wailing ("Ohohoh!") and that mystical guitar sound on that is so characteristic of U2's way of digging into our (diehard fans') souls.

A rarity: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono looks like he's having a good time singing in a gospel choir on this one.

I bet Bono has a fondness for his Magnificent lyrics, that's why we have heard a total of 3 different iterations with "melody changes". It's just like his unexplained fondness for "Until the End of the World" that is a staple at every single concert.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:09 AM »
I bet Bono has a fondness for his Magnificent lyrics, that's why we have heard a total of 3 different iterations with "melody changes". It's just like his unexplained fondness for "Until the End of the World" that is a staple at every single concert.

Well, the difference is Until The End of the World is a fantastic song. It's basically perfect.

Magnificent is a b-side (in terms of standard) from the era 2000-2010. Those songs are not in th same league.