Author Topic: Some of these songs should never be played again...  (Read 4834 times)

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
Re: Some of these songs should never be played again...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »
Look, if U2 plays all the songs on my list, that's half the show. Certainly, U2 should play "stadium" songs, but there are plenty on NLOH. Atomic Bomb delivers a few and so on.

I saw U2 9 or 10 times last tour. The first few concerts were marvelously varied, the last few painfully repetitive. U2 simply shouldn't rehash the same ideas.

Consider also that at the beginning of support for Achtung Baby!, U2 often played seven songs straight from the new album... I'm not sure I'd be adverse to that this time around.

Offline Popmartian

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
if you see U2 live on numerous occasions on a tour
well there is a risk of repetition
for those who only see them once
hearing them play new stuff and the classics has more meaning
so less chance you will be bored from hearing them play a similar set list

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Consider also that at the beginning of support for Achtung Baby!, U2 often played seven songs straight from the new album... I'm not sure I'd be adverse to that this time around.

I really hope they will do this.  That would be amazing.  There is a place for the older stuff in the tour, but you have to highlight the new stuff.

liewerizon

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
It's easy for us to suggest that certain old hits (Pride, One, Street, SBS...etc etc) be dropped from the upcoming tour. Granted these songs, amongst others, had been played far too often and that they should really mix it up this time around. But I just can't help but think of those who would be attending a U2 concert for the very first time, would it be fair to deny them the joys of hearing these old hits being played live? I remembered when I went to my first U2 show 12 years ago, I was practically praying that they played the likes of Street, Pride, One....and they did!

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »
It's easy for us to suggest that certain old hits (Pride, One, Street, SBS...etc etc) be dropped from the upcoming tour. Granted these songs, amongst others, had been played far too often and that they should really mix it up this time around. But I just can't help but think of those who would be attending a U2 concert for the very first time, would it be fair to deny them the joys of hearing these old hits being played live? I remembered when I went to my first U2 show 12 years ago, I was practically praying that they played the likes of Street, Pride, One....and they did!

Good point, but when I saw U2 in 1987 for the first time, I desperately wanted U2 to play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Two Hearts Beat as One, Seconds, I Tripped Through You Wires, A Celebration, etc. Some they played occassionally; others they never have. Truth is, as a band grows, some songs just can't be played at every show or even at all.

Whatever U2 does, the NLOH tours should be distinctive.

hrsan

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »
At the start of the Unforgettable Fire tour, Bono declared that some of the songs on the setlist would never be played again. Then, he launched into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, which indeed has been performed sparingly since then. I'd actually like to hear it in concert. That said, there are some songs U2 should simply stop playing, either because Bono doesn't sound very fresh on them or they've just been played too much:

1. Pride -- can't think of a tour it hasn't been played; it doesn't have the same magic it once had
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday -- U2 has a lot of songs that express the sentiment, though SBS does define a U2 show
3. Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Until the End of the World, One, Bullet the Blue Sky -- simply overexposed
4. Beautiful Day, Elevation -- Quickly becoming like some of the older hits: overexposed
5. Anything from Pop -- OK, I'm simply painfully biased on this count

More importantly, I'd like the band to (a) play a huge quantity of the new material (remember, U2 played nearly every track on Acthung Baby before launching into old material, back in the day) and (b) play a lot of underperformed older stuff. If you look at my list above, that's nearly a setlist itself. Time to reboot.

They can definitely get rid of Bullet the Blue Sky and if I never hear I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For live, I'll won't mind a bit.

I also agree with your statement about songs from Pop and I can also do without Stay (Faraway, So Close).

I would like to hear Desire, Surrender and Seconds.   

shockdocta22

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
still havent found what im looking for is one of there weak songs live

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
With or without you is listless live... and the "live" version does nothing to a great song. I could live without "Pride"... and Popmart was one of my favorite concerts and did not contain SBS.
I'd find it hard to believe that they'll drop Streets or One... the sets seem to be built around the placement of these two songs.
I also think the band has a particular affinity toward Pride. You have to remember that the band has to be entertained too. There are some songs that as musicians, they probably are excited to play... hence New York being included on the Elevation tour... a truly blah song that was featured at every show. Or Miami on pop...
As for someone who asked for everything off of POP to be permenantly dropped...
There are some GREAT live songs on that album... Gone is great, Last Night was good, Please was very strong, Staring at the Sun was excellent in both versions (acuostic was beautiful)...
Joshua Tree may see only Two this time around... Streets and wither Bullet or Still Haven't Found...
Unforgettable Fire may be left out entirely if Pride gets cut... I doubt they'll do Bad very often...
Same with WAR if Sunday is cut.

It is also very likely that there will be more set-list rotation as it seem that there will be less shows total to bigger crowds... there may be greater variation in song choice.

We'll see in a couple of months.

Offline colofan

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 10:03:26 AM »
At the start of the Unforgettable Fire tour, Bono declared that some of the songs on the setlist would never be played again. Then, he launched into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, which indeed has been performed sparingly since then. I'd actually like to hear it in concert. That said, there are some songs U2 should simply stop playing, either because Bono doesn't sound very fresh on them or they've just been played too much:

1. Pride -- can't think of a tour it hasn't been played; it doesn't have the same magic it once had
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday -- U2 has a lot of songs that express the sentiment, though SBS does define a U2 show
3. Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Until the End of the World, One, Bullet the Blue Sky -- simply overexposed
4. Beautiful Day, Elevation -- Quickly becoming like some of the older hits: overexposed
5. Anything from Pop -- OK, I'm simply painfully biased on this count

More importantly, I'd like the band to (a) play a huge quantity of the new material (remember, U2 played nearly every track on Acthung Baby before launching into old material, back in the day) and (b) play a lot of underperformed older stuff. If you look at my list above, that's nearly a setlist itself. Time to reboot.

Don't you dare!  The hair on the back of my neck stands up for Pride, and I almost peed my pants with excitement when they played The Fly on the last TWO tours.  This comes up every single time, along with the complaint that they don't play for more than two hours.  There is a lot of down-tempo new material, which, while great on the album, would be a serious buzzkill if comprising the bulk of the live show. 

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »
The perfect setlist:

Eight or nine songs from NLOH.

One or two songs off each other album, but particularly:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (which would be ironic since Bono once introduced this song as one that might never be played again)
3. Surrender
4. Some Days are Better Than Others