Author Topic: Berlin Night 4 September 29. *SPOILERS*  (Read 2812 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Berlin Night 4 September 29. *SPOILERS*
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
What a brilliant set list. How was zooropa sounding?!

Offline snake44

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2015, 01:39:58 AM »
Hi, I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I will write it anyway.
I was in sector 401 in Mercedes-Benz arena U2 Berlin 29.09.
Concert began with Miracle, and I supposed everyone will stand up and cheer. But everyone was sitting still! Is this German culture, to sit still on rock concert?? Numerous people tried to tell me to sit down because they don't see the concert. I was so confused becuase I thought it was forbidden to stand up on "sitting ticket", so I went to ask a security to check on this. Security confirmed it's no problem if I am standing, so I was sure no one can push me down and tell me to sit down.  Nevertheless, this kind of ruined my enjoyment on concert.
If this is German tradition, to sit down, without moving your feet or jumping on Vertigo, Out of control etc, then I will not go in Germany on concert anymore. U2 sings about love, positive energy, but on this concert, I felt like there are only angry and anxious people around me.
Please comment on my post, I want to know what German people thinks about this. :)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2015, 01:47:58 AM »
Happened to me at Wembley stadium on 360, put a slight dampener on proceedings.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »
I can understand people at a sporting event asking those in front to sit down, but at a rock gig? Nah! Unless the person is with their kid (who can't see even if they stand up too) or has trouble standing due to illness or age, they don't really have a case at a gig to tell someone else to sit down.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2015, 03:35:50 AM »
It's a tricky area - technically speaking people can argue very fairly that a seat is for sitting in.

The nature of a gig would traditionally say that people will stand - but if somebody takes exception and says they can't see etc. then however miserable it may seem for my money unfortunate as it is you should then sit - that said it should only really be an issue if it is somebody literally directly in front of you/blocking your view.

I don't subscribe to the "go nuts and do what you want, you have paid your money" school of thought, simply because other people have too and they may want to enjoy what they have paid to see and hear rather than watching some fan jumping about right in front of them....

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:38:26 AM by an tha »

Offline snake44

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
But we are talking about rock concert...my question is are German people usually sit on rock concerts or I just had a bad luck to be around a group of people who prefers sitting on U2? I understand sitting on Song for Someone, Every breaking wave etc, but sitting on Miracle.... :) :)
If this is the case with all Germans on rock concerts, I would like to know, so I can in the future avoid going on concerts in Germany.
My girlfriend and I were shocked looking around and seeing nothing but serious people, sitting down and not moving at all (not even a leg  :)).
My opinion is that if someone disliked me standing in front of them, they should also stand or just accept they had bad luck (similar, when you go to cinema and someone tall is sitting in front of you...you can't do anything).
After the concert, I was looking at people from sector 401 and 402 exiting, everyone with serious face, like they visited a funeral, instead of feeling spiritual and energized.
To conclude, it was very unpleasant and strange experience for me, because I came to Berlin, spent a lot of money to travel from Croatia, and bumped on such people. I'm not judging anyone, I just want to learn something from this and to know where to go on the next concert.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »
Certain nationalities are definitely different in their concert "behaviour".

Take for example the Belgians. A lovely polite nation. But at gigs, jaysus, dour! They will clap at the end of the song, and clap when the band pleads with them, but in between, they stay deathly still, too polite if you like!

The Germans I imagine are not too dis-similar.

For great crowds go to Italy, the UK, Spain, or Ireland.

Offline Lobmans

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Certain nationalities are definitely different in their concert "behaviour".

Take for example the Belgians. A lovely polite nation. But at gigs, jaysus, dour! They will clap at the end of the song, and clap when the band pleads with them, but in between, they stay deathly still, too polite if you like!

Seriously? As a Belgian, I've been to a lot of concerts (all kind of music styles) in Belgium and atmosphere is always very good? Surely during U2-gigs, I think we can't complain about the crowd in Belgium.

But I really understand the feelings and frustrations from snake44. Most concerts I go, I go GA so I don't have that kind of problems. But the few concerts in the past on which I had seats, I was always afraid to have people behind me that really wants to sit down. Last tour during the second Brussels-gig, I was lucky enough to be in a block with a lot of energetic people, even before the concert started, everyone was already standing up instead of sitting down. But friends of me were in another block, on a higher tier at the very other end of the arena, and they had the problem that they had to sit down because other people were complaining.

For both Antwerp-gigs I have GA, but for DublinII I have the most expensive seats so I really hope that the other people in our block will have the same spirit as me, and won't sit down. Seeing U2 in Dublin is a dream that comes true, so it will a real bummer I've I can't go crazy that night because other people are begging me to sit down.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
I'm very sorry for you snake44! But that was just pure by chance. Of course German concert goers stand up as soon as Bono comes in! And that was the case at alle Berlin shows. Sure there were exceptions but in generally everybody stands up. I saw 3 out 4 shows in Berlin and the audience was pretty good!

Btw. I have seen u2 shows in Milano and New York where people told me to sit down... bad luck.

Cheers.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Saw The Who at The O2 earlier in the year. Was in the upper tier and the crowd were pretty much silent, it was like a cinema audience. Tickets were 70, so why the hell would you just sit silently and not even appear to enjoy it?