Author Topic: I+e Tour - LONDON Night 1 - O2 Arena  (Read 5691 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
Re: I+e Tour - LONDON Night 1 - O2 Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
why cant they play ground beneath her feet full band version?

because they don't have the balls, the Edge just listens to The Bono
The Bonzo, you have a right to your opinion here. You have made your point now, let's move on. This is a thread talking about this upcoming concert. You are no longer adding anything new to the conversation.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
I'm travelling from Ireland to see them on Sunday night. I can not wait. I know the set list is predictable, Bono's voice is shot and half the people there will probably get bored after the first three songs. I'm not a huge fan of anything they have done since 1997, even SOI. But this is my favourite band, a huge part of my life, that I will finally get to see indoors. There might not be too many more nights like this for a U2 fan. Roll on the weekend!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
I'm travelling from Ireland to see them on Sunday night. I can not wait. I know the set list is predictable, Bono's voice is shot and half the people there will probably get bored after the first three songs. I'm not a huge fan of anything they have done since 1997, even SOI. But this is my favourite band, a huge part of my life, that I will finally get to see indoors. There might not be too many more nights like this for a U2 fan. Roll on the weekend!

Very well said.  There's something special about when these guys play no matter how we all feel about their recorded output the last decade or so.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
I have to admit i am quite excited about the upcoming gigs - always happens when the reality of the shows is imminent....

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
I have to admit i am quite excited about the upcoming gigs - always happens when the reality of the shows is imminent....

You've been genuinely moved to excitation by the TFI performances of RBW and SFS  ;)

Seriously, it's good that we're all feeling positive about the shows.  Just wish it was a nicer venue than the o2!

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
Apologies..

Just praying Bono does not become Lazy.  U2 always go on about how us fans expect.  We pay top dollar we have the right to expect

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »

You've been genuinely moved to excitation by the TFI performances of RBW and SFS  ;)

Seriously, it's good that we're all feeling positive about the shows.  Just wish it was a nicer venue than the o2!

I am listening to elevation every hour on the hour!

O2 isn't great but i have been to worse arenas to be fair.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
Apologies..

Just praying Bono does not become Lazy.  U2 always go on about how us fans expect.  We pay top dollar we have the right to expect

Never heard U2 complain that their fans expect.  I think they like the fact we expect - keeps them sharper.  I think all of us who have liked U2 albums and songs over the past 3-4 decades will enjoy the shows when they come around.

Ticket prices for U2 have been high for 20 years now, but not as bad as some other bands out there.  They do spend a lot on production too.  What's interesting is how the emphasis on production values has turned upside down their 1980s philosophy about it is all being about the music.  The band rejected the emphasis on the visual at that time - no video screens, no fancy stage set up, etc.  Since Zoo TV that all changed.

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
Apologies..

Just find some joy again mate, yes they're an imperfect band, yes there are better singers out there but bar Gallagher is there really anyone you'd pay a year in advance to go and see ? I doubt it any more.

I give you my local pub band You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login from Bournemouth, why do I keep going to see them play the same songs over and over, because its the joy of 1.  a good tune, and 2. seeing people do what they love to do. u2 don't need to be doing this. numerous tours have nearly bankrupt them.  I honestly really don't care what tunes they play, I just want to {and i only do one gig per tour as not to kill the magic} see the band that has played a massive part of my life, do what they do better than any other band out there. They're still here whilst their compatriots are all gone.

Its strange but as a fan I don't and wouldn't want them to pander to me, I'm a paying consumer, and I pay for them to do what they think is best, they are artists and creators and I am not, they'll play what they want to play and good for them for doing so.

Please find some joy in been in a room of 25k people who share the same joy as you do/did.

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
And there prices compared to other large draws ?

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

The only time I've been there was for the Manics when they did all the singles... and I was a mile back and thought it was rubbish.  Took ages to get into the arena too and the security was overbearing.  The Manics usually play much more intimate venues but that just isn't available for us U2 fans.  On the plus side the fact the stage is basically the centre of the arena should make it a more inclusive and lively show than the MSP one was. 

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

The only time I've been there was for the Manics when they did all the singles... and I was a mile back and thought it was rubbish.  Took ages to get into the arena too and the security was overbearing.  The Manics usually play much more intimate venues but that just isn't available for us U2 fans.  On the plus side the fact the stage is basically the centre of the arena should make it a more inclusive and lively show than the MSP one was.

I'd love the manics if it wasn't for all that left wing welsh revolutionary crap. :)

macfoley

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
same old bloody songs I am so fed up of hearing them.

why cant they play POP?

I believe they lack the creativity and lack balls to play POP and I don't mean discoteque or staring at the sun

They haven't played regular Pop songs since 1998, why do you keep going back to U2? Surely you would have known this by now?

Discotheque
 2005-09-17 - Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre
2005-09-20 - Chicago, Illinois - United Center

Gone
Played regulary during the Elevation tour

Okay, yes Gone, fair enough.

Discotheque on the other hand, twice on one tour does not count as regular.

Actually to be fair, I saw them play Discotheque and Staring at the Sun at Birmingham NEC Elevation tour. Okay since 2001 U2 have avoided playing Pop songs on a regular basis. ;)

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »

why cant they play POP?

I believe they lack the creativity and lack balls to play POP and I don't mean discoteque or staring at the sun

They haven't played regular Pop songs since 1998, why do you keep going back to U2? Surely you would have known this by now?

Discotheque

Gone

Actually to be fair, I saw them play Discotheque and Staring at the Sun at Birmingham NEC Elevation tour. Okay since 2001 U2 have avoided playing Pop songs on a regular basis. ;)

I was there man in the heart ! difficult gig for Bono If I recall,

macfoley

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »

why cant they play POP?

Discotheque

Gone

I was there man in the heart ! difficult gig for Bono If I recall,

I remember just being peeved at the sound. It wasn't very good where I was sat. But they play Out of Control, Discotheque, Staring at the Sun that night. New York looked good with the drapes. Don't remember Bono having a tough time, was it because of his old man? I am under the impression all those gigs around that time were tough for him.