Author Topic: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*  (Read 2909 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
So......

Firstly I had a 30 ticket up in Block 412 and upon finding my seat it was evident that the main screen was blocking all Edge's side of the stage and that I wouldn't see that screen at all - a double whammy!

So a quick chat with the lads manning the stairwell about the location of customer services was had and I made the short walk to where they sent me (just opposite the entrance to block 410). A short wait of about 5 mins followed before I explained to the young man at the desk that my view of the stage was blocked by the screen and that I couldn't see the screen itself - yet my ticket did not state I had a restricted or obstructed view.

Without hesitation he gave me what he called a 'house seat' the seat was in Block 111 and once I made way down and to it I found it was an absolute belter - dead centre level one between the I and E on Adams side with great views of the whole production.

Thanks to that lad at the desk. I believe that areas seats were being sold at 185 with fees.

So - the show....

People got the Power ends and then it is away we go.

Bono entered from behind the E singing the oh oh ohs to The Miracle as he walked the full length of the catwalk before joining his bandmates on the I stage. He sounded in good form and so did the band as they raced through a firey foursome of The Miracle, The Electric Co, Vertigo and I Will Follow - a typical night one setlist awaits I thought, replicating at least the last 3 or 4 first nights - but hey I wasn't at those shows so don't moan, An Tha - in your top dollar seat! They need to decide what song is 'their first single' though.

The crowd was up all around for that opening salvo and I enjoyed the songs (even Vertigo)....

Then the air went out the balloon a little as Bono introduced Iris and all around me and the arena people took their seats. Bono struggled a bit with Iris, nothing major but he was pitchy and a bit crackly.

Cedarwoood and SFS followed....Cedarwood didn't fly at all for me, Edges riff was a bit muddy and the song came off a bit flat - people remained seated.

Song for Someone is a song I don't like but it was alright tonight, although you could just tell most people didn't really know it.

Larry then came down the catwalk beating his single drum into SBS....This brought people back to their feet - I am not sure what to make of this arrangement, it is slower than 'normal' but has a nice feel - it's 'problem' was that the arena was waiting for lift off and it just sort of does not quite get there. I myself felt like it was going to explode into life but it just carries on at this odd sort of three quarter pace. It sounded ok but it just felt like the crowd wanted to go mad for it but were waiting for lift off.

RBW I like as a song - it was pretty decent here, but didn't seem to really grab the crowd.

I love UTEOTW it is top 3 in my U2 best songs list - it was solid here but people didn't seem into it around me or across the place. It was solid but unspectacular.

This intermission into Invisible does not really work for me....people are unsure what is happening and unsure if Invisible is a continuation of the break or not for a while.

For a song I don't like all that much it sounded OK.

The 1-2 of Real Thing and Mysterious Ways was quite good with a girl called Trish from Canada sporting a 50's style look and a lot of artwork on her arms joining the band on the E stage for the 'filming part' during MW and into Elevation.

I think everybody here knows how I feel about Elevation, but the girls antics were watchable and the song whilst as dumb as ever sounded quite meaty at least and people do enjoy it.

Sweetest Thing was an innocent enough romp...I have to say this live arrangement is better than the recorded one for me and whilst I could live without it, it was alright. Bono the "3 fingered piano player"

EBW and October saw Bono and Edge on the E stage with a piano and both came over well - with Bono sounding good.

Bullet is just a mess....Bono with his megaphone and his rant that in all honesty passed me by and he sounded pitchy and trebly (is that a word?) it just went on and sounded a mess to me.

Zooropa into Streets.........ok. Not quite the lift off Streets is in legend, but certainly one of the more energetic segments from crowd and band, it is still a good song live isn't it - even if it hasn't quite got the punch it once had.....

Pride......probably the highlight of the night - a song truly reborn....crowd loved it, more than Streets in my view.

WOWY was solid enough although I have seen it performed better and better received.

Encore time......surprisingly quite a few people around me left and didn't return at the end of WOWY and across the arena. The encore itself contained two songs I am not a fan of. They sounded ok to be fair.....

One - the crowd singing it thing was done - I think British reservedness saw it not quite soar and Bono took over and then handed back and took over again a couple of times....plenty of arms aloft, hugging and bad singing in the stands and as it ended that was that - show over.....

Overall I think the sound was very good - Bono was a bit high pitched at times and trebley (if you know what I mean) but it was loud without being earth shaking and the separation was good.

Bono sounded pretty strong throughout, no major flubs to my ear and the show was good...
It wasn't earth shattering, it wasn't transcendent, or an absolute triumph to me.... But it was in no way a let down and I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the 360 shows I saw.

A solid 7.5 out of ten show - tight, energetic and a good production that works well.

By the way for those who need to get a tube back to Central London after the show who haven't been to the o2 before or are worried about how bad it is....I left at 1015 when the show ended and was on a tube train within 20 mins - it really isn't bad.

Roll on Thursday when I will be standing.

Thanks for reading, all. Oh and to my friends in the setlist thread full bladder control was maintained (just) during elevation. No Wild Honey though.....devestated  :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:22:00 PM by an tha »

Offline samko

• Stateless
Re: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the show and wow that was a touch getting moved down to some great seats! I was there standing, the atmosphere was great and my ears are ringing! I think you'll get a different vibe standing on Thursday.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Glad you enjoyed the show and wow that was a touch getting moved down to some great seats! I was there standing, the atmosphere was great and my ears are ringing! I think you'll get a different vibe standing on Thursday.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sound was good, not too loud. No ringing ears for me.

Where on the floor were you?

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
Like the band tonight, your review took a while to take off but we'll give it a 7.5 out of 10 too... mostly because you admitted to enoying Elevation and Sweetest thing  :P  I'm sure I heard Bono dedicate the latter to you... only lazy listeners heard "ali" instead of "antha".  We note you also had a whale of a time during City of Blinding Light and Beautiful Day.  The band must've had a tip off you were attending tonight!

All I can say is it sounded good on mixlr.  Solid and well-paced.  Bono's gushing speech about what the UK does re. world poverty sounded rather ingratiating.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:01:47 PM by il_capo »

Offline seashells

• Staring at the Sun
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
an tha, you waited so patiently for your London showtime to finally get here.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Good review, especially since you enjoyed some nonfav songs live.

My trick leaving the O2 is to catch the tube going the opposite direction from central London because there is no crowd for that direction, get off at the next stop and get back on going toward central London.  Just an idea.

Edgedisciple

London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
Sadly I couldn't make it in time to meet you an tha, as I was waiting for some friends, but I'm glad you enjoyed the show. To be honest, being Italian and having seen one of the Turin concerts, the crowd attitude here left me a bit off... So cold!! In my section only few people sang and danced along to the songs, while in Italy hell was breaking loose during the whole concert. Anyway, great show and looking forward to tomorrow night (GA this time)!!!

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »

I think everybody here knows how I feel about Elevation, but the girls antics were watchable and the song whilst as dumb as ever sounded quite meaty at least and people do enjoy it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P u looooved it!

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:23:44 AM »
A great show BUT I will probably never go see them live again. From standing you really get to see the boys up close and boy are the looking their age.
Bono looks knackered and I felt that he was teetering on the tipping point of looking a bit sad and physically he looked haggard. He and the band just about got away with it this time but I would not like to see them rolling it out again.
Yes they can do a few more amazing albums, but like an old heavy weight boxer I would not like to see them make fools of themselves.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:29 AM »
Really interesting review. What strikes me is how your (ones) enjoyment of the show is dictated (somewhat not entirely) by the reaction of the crowd to each song. This is at complete odds with most of us (me as much as anyone) complaining about the lack of variety in the setlist. A crowd going to see U2 isn't necessarily the same thing as a U2 crowd and songs like pride, streets, vertigo, elevation, beautiful day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, real thing, with or without you etc etc are absolute musts in a stadium/arena if they want the crowd energy to be sustained.

Still hoping for so cruel, promenade, kite and stateless on Thursday though 😉

Offline samko

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:44:19 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

About half way from front and had great views of the runway. You can get a pretty good spot without queuing too early.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
Really interesting review. What strikes me is how your (ones) enjoyment of the show is dictated (somewhat not entirely) by the reaction of the crowd to each song. This is at complete odds with most of us (me as much as anyone) complaining about the lack of variety in the setlist. A crowd going to see U2 isn't necessarily the same thing as a U2 crowd and songs like pride, streets, vertigo, elevation, beautiful day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, real thing, with or without you etc etc are absolute musts in a stadium/arena if they want the crowd energy to be sustained.

Still hoping for so cruel, promenade, kite and stateless on Thursday though 😉

I think the other people thing comes from being seated......makes me more aware of others.

I don't like the idea of being considered in someones way if I am up and they aren't and the whole idea of sitting at a rock n roll show is one I am at odds with anyway - but one I respect and I would hate to think I was blocking someone who chose to sit for example.

So it makes you more aware...more aware of what you are doing and others - well it does me anyway.

I am a bit of a people watcher as well and in the seats with the whole place stretched out in front of you it is easy to people watch.

Standing is a free for all, a different vibe - a more sort of you and the band experience.

In answer to edgesdisciple's point about the crowd  - that is the London factor.......it is a case of too cool for school and come on then impress us - London crowds are more reserved than even other British crowds....

One other thing - filming, a fella the row in front of me pretty much filmed the whole gig on his ipad - I just don't get it!

Enjoy your show, very good. Stateless is a stick on  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:58:36 AM by an tha »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:36 AM »
an tha, you waited so patiently for your London showtime to finally get here.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Good review, especially since you enjoyed some nonfav songs live.

My trick leaving the O2 is to catch the tube going the opposite direction from central London because there is no crowd for that direction, get off at the next stop and get back on going toward central London.  Just an idea.

Thanks.

That is a decent tip....i must stress though that 20 mins was total from the last note and including the long, long walk out of the complex at quite slow speed.

As you will know it isn't far at all to the station - it is adjacent but the lay out of the arena entrances and exits depending on where you are can see a fair old trek through the concourses.

Offline macky0104

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 04:01:00 AM »
Interesting what you thought of Bullet as for me it was the highlight of the show; I thought it was really powerful

Offline trlica

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 05:02:02 AM »
Thank you for great review. I got some answers on some questions that I had.
Thanks  :)

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:34 AM »
I was also in block 111... row X at the E stage end.  Yes expensive, but the view of the show was amazing.  I got just as much enjoyment from seeing my 10 yr old daughters reaction to various parts of the show.  She had a smile ear to ear when they came on stage... her head almost exploded when Bono climbed into the screen for Cederwood Road. 

You just can't put a price on that.