Author Topic: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Saculniai

• Wanderer
Re: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Having kept away from this site and forum so the set was a surprise to me, I was thoroughly blown away last night. I was sat on the RHS of the stage, in block 417 away up in the gods but in line with the 'e' stage. In the way the ZooTV moved tours forward, I+E does the same yet again.

I don't consider it a gig either. It was a show; pure and simple  - it was incredibly choreographed, a constant surprise, of a incredibly high quality throughout, emotional, powerful and humorous (for those that saw Bono stumble over the rising piano). The interaction of the band with the screen was a major surprise with the use of the Berlin wall for the techno-Fly and then Invisible was just inspired.

Highlights: Cedarwood Road, the re-invention of Zooropa (its a now new song), and the use of the megaphone and images during Bullet The Blue Sky only emphasised the message and passion of the song.

Lowlights: Bono's hair, the poor designs available for the merchandising (the special shirt for the London shows looked like a tout would have designed it and if your selling the TJT shirt then maybe something is wrong/lacking with the new designs), and then the lack of a really strong finish - having seen them since TJT nothing beats 40 and with One the song finished, the band walked off and we all went home in silence - One is not a closer in my opinion. Having looked at other set lists, I'm jealous of those who get the Bad/40 combo - my faves.

I was there with my son, 15, his third ever concert after Coldplay and The Killers - seeing his reaction and hearing him sing along was pure joy to me.

Bravo, U2, Bravo !

Offline tamir89

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Having kept away from this site and forum so the set was a surprise to me, I was thoroughly blown away last night. I was sat on the RHS of the stage, in block 417 away up in the gods but in line with the 'e' stage. In the way the ZooTV moved tours forward, I+E does the same yet again.

I don't consider it a gig either. It was a show; pure and simple  - it was incredibly choreographed, a constant surprise, of a incredibly high quality throughout, emotional, powerful and humorous (for those that saw Bono stumble over the rising piano). The interaction of the band with the screen was a major surprise with the use of the Berlin wall for the techno-Fly and then Invisible was just inspired.

Highlights: Cedarwood Road, the re-invention of Zooropa (its a now new song), and the use of the megaphone and images during Bullet The Blue Sky only emphasised the message and passion of the song.

Lowlights: Bono's hair, the poor designs available for the merchandising (the special shirt for the London shows looked like a tout would have designed it and if your selling the TJT shirt then maybe something is wrong/lacking with the new designs), and then the lack of a really strong finish - having seen them since TJT nothing beats 40 and with One the song finished, the band walked off and we all went home in silence - One is not a closer in my opinion. Having looked at other set lists, I'm jealous of those who get the Bad/40 combo - my faves.

I was there with my son, 15, his third ever concert after Coldplay and The Killers - seeing his reaction and hearing him sing along was pure joy to me.

Bravo, U2, Bravo !

How is the view from block 417?
I was wondering since i'm gonna seat in row 4 there on Nov 3.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »

I don't consider it a gig either. It was a show; pure and simple  - it was incredibly choreographed,

Glad to hear you and your son had a great time.  What you say about the choreography chimes with what I've seen of the shows on youtube.  It seems very theatrical as if they have designed the show to be a full-arena spectacular.  And whilst the stage lets them get close to the audience I do not sense much crowd-band interaction - more tech-band interaction.  Bono seems to be playing a character as if he's an actor on stage, but we have a bit of respite from that when they drag someone up on the I stage. 

I wonder if theatricality is the future of live concerts.  Kate Bush last year was so much like the theatre and cinema, with a multi-point speaker system used to create sound effects in the auditorium.  With the evolution of technology, bands who can draw in big crowds and play big arenas and stadium may go futher along this road.

Offline Saculniai

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
View is superb IMO. Over the years I've been up against the stage and at the back and this is a great view. Side onto the stage and screen. You get to see the full experience that I think is the intention with this tour. Enjoy 😃

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »
I would guess people sitting behind the I stage would have had a lousy view.

Those centrally seated wouldn't see the E stage or the main screen and like on 360 the band/bono don't really play to that side.

Still feel as good as the show is that a central main stage that is a square with two ends and a cube video screen that offers view to whole arena would be better.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »

Those centrally seated wouldn't see the E stage or the main screen and like on 360 the band/bono don't really play to that side.

Still feel as good as the show is that a central main stage that is a square with two ends and a cube video screen that offers view to whole arena would be better.
I am behind the stage on Friday, though after yoir experiences I shall arrive when the doors open and will get a relocation.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »

I am behind the stage on Friday, though after yoir experiences I shall arrive when the doors open and will get a relocation.

Be prepared to start crying in front of the venue staff as I heard that is what swayed it for an tha last night  ;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »

Be prepared to start crying in front of the venue staff as I heard that is what swayed it for an tha last night  ;)

To be fair there probably wouldn't be much I wouldn't do to sit in a nearly 200 nicker seat after paying 30!  :)

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »

To be fair there probably wouldn't be much I wouldn't do to sit in a nearly 200 nicker seat after paying 30!  :)

That's the spirit, Father Jack!

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »

Do you hear that il_capo?

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
Last night was my first time seeing U2 since 2009 and I was really blown away by the show, as was my other half who isn't really a fan.

The crowd was certainly older and 'cooler' than any other concert I've been to but I have to say they really got into it. The new songs received a bit of a flat response but all the old hits got a big reaction.

Personally I think the lads look just fine, I hope I look and move as good as them when I'm 55.

Right in front of me was a father and son, father about 50 and son 15, both completely losing their sh1t and rocking out to U2. Sums up what's great about the band.
Bring on Dublin!!

Offline kos4u2

• Staring at the Sun
  • Ain't love the sweetest thing
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »
Well, reading your review you had a blast, and that is what we whished you :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »
Well, reading your review you had a blast, and that is what we whished you :)

Thanks, was almost as good as following your set list updates for shows!  ;)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »
Just thought I'd post this review/comment piece on Night 1 in London from a U2 sceptic I found under the Guardian review...

'Hmm

I've probably spent a fair bit of energy hating U2 - it's fun and it's easy
Liked some old stuff years ago but no more than that
But someone got tickets Sunday and I went with the group for a night out

Never seen them live but I've got to admit this was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my 50 years including seeing Floyd , Bowie ,Peter Gabriel and many others I thought I rated so much higher
It wasn't just the sound (which uses some new style of speakers ) or the incredibly effective screen - it was the songs and some songs have such immense power it nearly floored me .. the one I hated sings with such majesty that basically I was wrong. Incidentally I was not drunk

Another thing that hit me was despite all the things he did that irritated me before , quite why me and so many people seemed to be putting energy into hating u2 more than Lucifer himself Tony Blair ,is a reflection on the spoiled society we live in today. Despite his irritating persona he is a good person and they are probably one of the greatest bands ever- never thought I would say that
Go if you get the chance .'

Edgedisciple

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 09:16:33 AM »
Just thought I'd post this review/comment piece on Night 1 in London from a U2 sceptic I found under the Guardian review...

'Hmm

I've probably spent a fair bit of energy hating U2 - it's fun and it's easy
Liked some old stuff years ago but no more than that
But someone got tickets Sunday and I went with the group for a night out

Never seen them live but I've got to admit this was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my 50 years including seeing Floyd , Bowie ,Peter Gabriel and many others I thought I rated so much higher
It wasn't just the sound (which uses some new style of speakers ) or the incredibly effective screen - it was the songs and some songs have such immense power it nearly floored me .. the one I hated sings with such majesty that basically I was wrong. Incidentally I was not drunk

Another thing that hit me was despite all the things he did that irritated me before , quite why me and so many people seemed to be putting energy into hating u2 more than Lucifer himself Tony Blair ,is a reflection on the spoiled society we live in today. Despite his irritating persona he is a good person and they are probably one of the greatest bands ever- never thought I would say that
Go if you get the chance .'
The haters conversion has begun 8)