Author Topic: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*  (Read 2907 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: London Night 1 An Tha's review - *Contains Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just thought I'd post this review/comment piece on Night 1 in London from a U2 sceptic I found under the Guardian review...

'Hmm

I've probably spent a fair bit of energy hating U2 - it's fun and it's easy
Liked some old stuff years ago but no more than that
But someone got tickets Sunday and I went with the group for a night out

Never seen them live but I've got to admit this was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my 50 years including seeing Floyd , Bowie ,Peter Gabriel and many others I thought I rated so much higher
It wasn't just the sound (which uses some new style of speakers ) or the incredibly effective screen - it was the songs and some songs have such immense power it nearly floored me .. the one I hated sings with such majesty that basically I was wrong. Incidentally I was not drunk

Another thing that hit me was despite all the things he did that irritated me before , quite why me and so many people seemed to be putting energy into hating u2 more than Lucifer himself Tony Blair ,is a reflection on the spoiled society we live in today. Despite his irritating persona he is a good person and they are probably one of the greatest bands ever- never thought I would say that
Go if you get the chance .'

Ha....didn't realise you had posted this.

I have just posted the review from the guardian in another thread and mentioned these comments...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
Just thought I'd post this review/comment piece on Night 1 in London from a U2 sceptic I found under the Guardian review...

'Hmm

Never seen them live but I've got to admit this was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to in my 50 years including seeing Floyd , Bowie ,Peter Gabriel and many others I thought I rated so much higher
It wasn't just the sound (which uses some new style of speakers ) or the incredibly effective screen - it was the songs and some songs have such immense power it nearly floored me .. the one I hated sings with such majesty that basically I was wrong. Incidentally I was not drunk

Another thing that hit me was despite all the things he did that irritated me before , quite why me and so many people seemed to be putting energy into hating u2 more than Lucifer himself Tony Blair ,is a reflection on the spoiled society we live in today. Despite his irritating persona he is a good person and they are probably one of the greatest bands ever- never thought I would say that

I have just posted the review from the guardian in another thread and mentioned these comments...

an tha in plagiarism shocker!

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

'Hmm

Not too surprised you sniffed this out. I did think the Guardian review finished like a 5* review but the writer obviously pulled back from awarding that. As for the comments and indeed other reviews, it just proves people needed a great arena tour to be reminded how good a band they are again. And last night I detected a really special atmosphere - Bono remarked it was good to have Londoners behaving like Brazilians. The mood was intense but celebratory at the same time which I haven't seen at a U2 show before.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

'Hmm

I told you when kept calling last night....you just aren't my type.

I am flattered though  :)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

'Hmm

Playing hard to get are we?  I see you like chase as much as me  :)  Next time I call I'll make sure I got Stateless ready to go - that's bound to soften you up.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »

'Hmm

Playing hard to get are we?  I see you like chase as much as me  :)  Next time I call I'll make sure I got Stateless ready to go - that's bound to soften you up.

Elevation or it's a defo non starter! :)

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2015, 01:11:49 PM »

'Hmm

God knows what he will do for you for Wild honey!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

'Hmm

Yes do let us know if an tha goes weak at the knees tomorrow if they play that.  You'll be watching on his shoulders so do grab onto something quickly if you hear the opening chords.  Will be so excited if they dredge out Elevation and Sweetest Thing for him again!

Nucky T

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »
Encore time......surprisingly quite a few people around me left and didn't return at the end of WOWY

At 185 a ticket they probably had to go back to work at their banks

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »

'Hmm

Would be...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:21:34 PM by an tha »

Offline Pammy

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:41 AM »
A great show BUT I will probably never go see them live again. From standing you really get to see the boys up close and boy are the looking their age.
Bono looks knackered and I felt that he was teetering on the tipping point of looking a bit sad and physically he looked haggard. He and the band just about got away with it this time but I would not like to see them rolling it out again.
Yes they can do a few more amazing albums, but like an old heavy weight boxer I would not like to see them make fools of themselves.

I agree the band are looking their age but maybe because that is because we are so used to seeing airbrushed pictures and other celebrities who have botox, facelifts etc so when you see people who haven`t yes you see the effects of time.

I thought Bono actually looked and sounded good. After the TFI show I was expecting a poor vocal but he was on fine form on the first 2 London shows. He does need to do something with the awful mop on his head though- crap colour, looks like straw and too much hairspray or something! In my opinion Edge hasn`t changed or aged at all - he looks exactly the same. Larry looks incredibly scrawny - whatever happened to his muscles in his shoulders? Adam looks the worst - haggard, and would look at home in the Rolling Stones! He needs to cut his hair and put some weight back on then he may look better.

However, they are men in their mid 50`s and compared to other men the same age probably look better. Strong stage lighting (and this is quite a bright show compared to the last tours) I guess the lights may play a factor in highlighting the effects of age.

Offline Quack

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 02:53:18 AM »
Really interesting review. What strikes me is how your (ones) enjoyment of the show is dictated (somewhat not entirely) by the reaction of the crowd to each song. This is at complete odds with most of us (me as much as anyone) complaining about the lack of variety in the setlist. A crowd going to see U2 isn't necessarily the same thing as a U2 crowd and songs like pride, streets, vertigo, elevation, beautiful day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, real thing, with or without you etc etc are absolute musts in a stadium/arena if they want the crowd energy to be sustained.

This is a huge part of the whole thing for me. I was in Stockholm on (what should have been) night 4. People remained seated all the way until Streets, and even then only a portion of it did the jumping and clapping thing. I thought the show was good but the experience is a bit lacking anyway when the crowd is like that. Comparing this gig to the one in 1992 in the same arena... 2015 was 'good'. 1992 more like 'life changing' :) And that's not just because the band was, well they were in quite good shape in 1992 weren't they, but the whole experience with the crowd participation and everything.

Though I suppose I'm not the only one who's 23 years older now than I was back then. That might have something to do with it.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »
Really interesting review. What strikes me is how your (ones) enjoyment of the show is dictated (somewhat not entirely) by the reaction of the crowd to each song. This is at complete odds with most of us (me as much as anyone) complaining about the lack of variety in the setlist. A crowd going to see U2 isn't necessarily the same thing as a U2 crowd and songs like pride, streets, vertigo, elevation, beautiful day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, real thing, with or without you etc etc are absolute musts in a stadium/arena if they want the crowd energy to be sustained.

This is a huge part of the whole thing for me. I was in Stockholm on (what should have been) night 4. People remained seated all the way until Streets, and even then only a portion of it did the jumping and clapping thing. I thought the show was good but the experience is a bit lacking anyway when the crowd is like that. Comparing this gig to the one in 1992 in the same arena... 2015 was 'good'. 1992 more like 'life changing' :) And that's not just because the band was, well they were in quite good shape in 1992 weren't they, but the whole experience with the crowd participation and everything.

Though I suppose I'm not the only one who's 23 years older now than I was back then. That might have something to do with it.

Yes, and you can understand the band playing the songs that enliven the crowd like Vertigo and Streets, because people get excited, lose themselves and jump up and down more.   It's not just that the band and us have aged.  At the time of Zoo TV we didn't go to the shows armed with technological equipment.  We just watched, listened and sang along.  Everyone was elated and sang when the band launched into "Dancing Queen".  If that were to happen now over half the crowd would be "oh, where's my phone I must capture this".  Concerts have become a spectator sport.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
I left at 1015 when the show ended

What time did the band get on stage at the start? Also, were the doors open from 6:30pm?  :)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
I left at 1015 when the show ended

What time did the band get on stage at the start? Also, were the doors open from 6:30pm?  :)

Please note that all the remaining dates are week days and the band will finish later between 10:45 and 11:00. I think the doors still open quite early though - around 6:30.