Author Topic: A semi decent gig ruined by Patti Smith  (Read 5621 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: A semi decent gig ruined by Patti Smith
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I will post a review tomorrow- I am still recovering from what I witnessed tonight...

And yes, the souns did seem a bit dodgy at times: sounded like Bono had inhaled helium.

They let you in then?!  ;)
Yep, no ID checks.

You were told!  :)

Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »
Overall I thought it was an incredible gig (bearing in mind it was my first though, so I don't have many reference points.) Gloria, NYD and Bad were really special and we're the highlights for me along with Beautiful Day, Pride and UTEOTW. Have to say I was a bit disappointed with Streets, however, I don't know if it's better in GA but it didn't seem as great as people hype it up to be live or as good as it is on some of the DVDS (boston for example.) Really glad they pulled out NYD though as it's my dad's favourite and really got him into the gig!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
I love People Have the Power for this tour, and I loved Patti up there! Couldn't see her. I gave up on the Periscope feeds. I'll take her over Bruce, yep. Noel would be a co-special guest favorite for me.
What a night!! Friends there were having a blast!! Miss Sarajevo on the e stage again. All my faves played. Perfect!
Zooropa into Streets cannot be beat! Pride is glowing this tour too.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »
Come on let the boys have some fun, it can't all be meat and potatoes. Not the greatest of songs but a good version of it and lots of smiles on stage.

Offline Pammy

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 12:30:35 AM »
When the band read these reviews about Power to the people they will revert back to opening and closing with Vertigo  ;D....you have been warned  ;)

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »
I wasn't there and have not yet seen the videos, but I have to admit I am not surprised by the Patti Smith comments.  She opened in NYC on Vertigo and what I saw then (11/22/2005) was the worst opening act I've ever imagined.  Black Eyed Peas were better, if that is any reference.

Anyway, on that night she rejoined the band onstage for Instant Karma, and it was anything but.  She looked either wasted or having other issues, the band cut the set short and they all left the stage early and abruptly, 2 or 3 songs short of the printed setlist.

I would have been pretty bummed to have to endure Patti again, she is terrible.

Offline Quack

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »
Wasn't there of course but I think it looks and sounds great on the Youtube. At least for 68 years old. Maybe I'm easy to please.
And I always love when Edge steps on the shimmer pedal.

Offline jampot

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 01:20:43 AM »
A brilliant end to a brilliant gig, she was great, I loved the song, would be happy to see it again tonight....

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 02:21:52 AM »
Some hard people to please on here i thought last night was great

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 03:29:29 AM »
If that's a semi-decent gig you'd probably be underwhelmed by a headline gig performed by Jesus in a tiny club..

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 04:00:42 AM »
You all sound more negative than an tha when he has to listen to ATYCLB this morning.  Got out of bed the wrong side? 

Patti Smith was something different and the band clearly loved performing with her.  They're big fans and she was very influential on them when they started off.  And if you don't like her she only did one song, not the entire set, so what's the problem?   

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 04:31:58 AM »
I looked at the You tube clip, it's great !! So what's wrong?
Love the song, it's a strong message.

Adam is a hugger, i knew it !!  ;)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 04:43:41 AM »
You all sound more negative than an tha when he has to listen to ATYCLB this morning.  Got out of bed the wrong side? 

Patti Smith was something different and the band clearly loved performing with her.  They're big fans and she was very influential on them when they started off.  And if you don't like her she only did one song, not the entire set, so what's the problem?   

Zero problem here. We went crazy for this finale just as we went crazy for Gloria. Energy levels were sky high from beginning to end. Both us and the band.

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 04:47:48 AM »
I tonight it was an amazing concert. Yes, it was a little too  loud but getting to hear Gloria, New Years Day and Bad made up for any sound issues. Plus I thought Patti Smith was a great ending.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 05:00:02 AM »
I think maybe Patti Smith ruined a U2 gig 10 years ago by being a not great support, so clearly, 10 years later when she guests a song with them, she must automatically ruin it now? Nope. She was on form tonight. That was a great show. No debate.