Author Topic: A semi decent gig ruined by Patti Smith  (Read 5626 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: A semi decent gig ruined by Patti Smith
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This vocal by Patti is simply the best vocal I can remember:

Fantastic song

Anyone on here seen any REM shows?

Milton Keynes Bowl - 1995....was like a mini festival and a great show.
Twickenham in 2008...was good - the excellent Editors supported them.

I was at Milton Keyes in 1995!  God, aren't we old  :P  I would also confess to seeing them in the 1980s if no-one is looking.  That MK gig was so darned hot.  Michael Stipe made a few jokes about if anyone in the crowd wanted water as it was sweltering down the front. 

That was the last time I saw them.  I went to Twickenham in 2008 but couldn't get a standing ticket.  I was offered a seat for 10 but I hate watching bands in stadiums from the seats.  You might as well not be there.  The 2008 shows sound great on bootlegs - the version of Ignoreland on that tour is something else.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
This vocal by Patti is simply the best vocal I can remember:

Fantastic song

Anyone on here seen any REM shows?
Yeah seen them support U2 in milton keynes in 1985 didnt know who they were ,, loved the Green album & the next few ,,then seen them headline Glastonbury about 2002.. they were brill

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
Saw REM twice.
2003 Cleveland, was drug by my then-girlfriend, and I ended up loving the show and becoming a fan on the spot.
2004 Cincinnati- By this time I was a hardcore fan, and this was one of the best shows I ever saw. 

Unfortunately I never got the chance to see them again, and it absolutely guts me that I never will again.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
Saw REM twice.
2003 Cleveland, was drug by my then-girlfriend, and I ended up loving the show and becoming a fan on the spot.
2004 Cincinnati- By this time I was a hardcore fan, and this was one of the best shows I ever saw. 

Unfortunately I never got the chance to see them again, and it absolutely guts me that I never will again.

I met a scouser who was at the MK Longest Day gig in 1985 on Friday and he remembered REM's performance fondly.  Less so Billy Bragg's.

When they split up I was sad I didn't go to the 2008 Twickenham show.  To be honest, I hadn't liked any album they'd made for a long while, but live they still seemed strong and powerful.  One of the Green concerts I saw was among the best concerts I've seen by anybody.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
Were you in the same arena as me? And did someone say Noel Gallagher was the best moment of the tour? Patti just blew that away. People Have The Power was mindblowing. And night 3 improved on night 2 in general.

It was diabolical at the end. Bad redeemed the night for me until that moment. A truly hit and miss night. UTEOTW, NYD, October, Bad, Iris, WOWY, Pride, COBL, SBS. These were the only songs which connected for me tonight. Streets had a lack of energy. Sunday and Bloody Sunday is the best performance of the tour by a mile.

Streets has lost something....even the opening isn't quite the highlight it was...

just revisiting this observation, which I agree with...

i wonder if the band are intentionally making this track more low key... maybe wanting to be less reliant on it as the emotional highpoint it has always been... perhaps even envisioning a day when its not a guaranteed or even regular part of the set...  i know many people disagree but to me it just seems flat on delivery compared with past tours (save Vertigo which was terrible).

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
Were you in the same arena as me? And did someone say Noel Gallagher was the best moment of the tour? Patti just blew that away. People Have The Power was mindblowing. And night 3 improved on night 2 in general.

It was diabolical at the end. Bad redeemed the night for me until that moment. A truly hit and miss night. UTEOTW, NYD, October, Bad, Iris, WOWY, Pride, COBL, SBS. These were the only songs which connected for me tonight. Streets had a lack of energy. Sunday and Bloody Sunday is the best performance of the tour by a mile.

Streets has lost something....even the opening isn't quite the highlight it was...

i wonder if the band are intentionally making this track more low key... maybe wanting to be less reliant on it as the emotional highpoint it has always been... perhaps even envisioning a day when its not a guaranteed or even regular part of the set...  i know many people disagree but to me it just seems flat on delivery compared with past tours (save Vertigo which was terrible).

The transition "Zooropa">"Streets" is the strongest and best it's had since ZooTV and it's the track that - at *every* show I've seen so far - lifts the crowd up to their feet.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »

It certainly does not take off like it once did.

The opening just does not seem to have the punch it did and the release when the lights hit....the transition from zooroa sounds awkward to me - and i think Pride has been getting bigger 'pops' than it.

They have played it on every tour since TJT and maybe they are just a bit bored of it - I recall it wasn't great on 360 either and I found Muse played it with more energy than u2 did at Glastonbury....

It isn't that is terrible - it is just not the live animal it was and maybe people aren't as crazy for it as they were.

Might be tantamount to blasphemy on here but I think it might benefit from a rest....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:48:19 PM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »

The transition "Zooropa">"Streets" is the strongest and best it's had since ZooTV and it's the track that - at *every* show I've seen so far - lifts the crowd up to their feet.

I agree with this.  I have to say that Streets is still a moving song and the band clearly love performing it.  It comes in beautifully on the back of Zooropa.  The rendition has lost some of the bombast, but that is a good thing.  I agree with the observation that the show is more evenly paced.  Too many times I've seen U2 and there is this crowd climax on Streets and not enough focus on the rest of the show.  That doesn't happen this tour.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »

It certainly does not take off like it once did.

The opening just does not seem to have the punch it did and the release when the lights hit....the transition from zooroa sounds awkward to me - and i think Pride has been getting bigger 'pops' than it.

They have played it on every tour since TJT and maybe they are just a bit bored of it - I recall it wasn't great on 360 either and I found Muse played it with more energy than u2 did at Glastonbury....

It isn't that is terrible - it is just not the live animal it was and maybe people aren't as crazy for it as they were.

Might be tantamount to blasphemy on here but I think it might benefit from a rest....

yes exactly.  seems like the energy in the song delivery itself is fine, and yes the audience response is good but the issue is how the song opens up.

on Zoo, PMart and Elevation they went straight into Streets from other songs that served as superb gateways... then on Vertigo they mucked it up with the bizarre Africa flags thing, on 360 they used non-U2 songs as the gateway which sounded forced (Amazing Grace a particular example of square peg/round hole) and while Zooropa -> Streets is better than Mother Child, they still jam it up with the (thankfully abbreviated) Red campaign stuff which should be eliminated or moved elsewhere... perhaps to the intermission.

you are right, to some this is blasphemy unfortunately, too many sacred cows amongst the faithful.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2015, 03:34:53 AM »
I was there - fantastic gig topped by a great Patti Smith song to finish

Offline samko

• Stateless
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2015, 05:22:16 AM »
I simply think the organ intro for Streets is just too quiet on this tour. It needs to be much louder and a bit longer.