Author Topic: London Night 4 setlist October 30 *SPOILERS*  (Read 5292 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: London Night 4 setlist October 30 *SPOILERS*
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2015, 04:47:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did anybody notice Bono actually stopped his lecturing at one point near the end of the show, turned to the band and said something like "I've probably said too much, I'll stop now."

Yeah I noticed that.  Didn't stop him continuing for another couple of minutes though, did it?

Offline WelshGirl

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
I think I marginally preferred Thursday, because of NYD (which I adore), Bad, and Patti Smith, but loved my first U2 GA experience on Friday, and being so close to the band,  and it was great to hear AIWIY which is another favourite of mine (and to see Bono without his sunglasses!).

One very minor disappointment is that Streets didn't seem quite "right" somehow (I think I've seen others mention similar?). On the 360 tour I saw 5 shows all from seats, and Streets was spine tingling and made me desperate to be down in GA for it. At the O2 it just didn't feel like that, even when I was in GA,  but can't put my finger on why.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2015, 05:07:17 AM »
Streets has lost something...the opening seems to have lost it's punch/ the timing - it does not provide the lift off it did...

Songs can go through stages like this though - look at Pride, it has sounded tired for a while but is a song reborn now

I have suggested before (and been heavily disagreed with) but it may be time to rest Streets.

Your comments, welshgirl aren't the first ones to say what you have said.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:10:00 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2015, 05:15:22 AM »
I think I marginally preferred Thursday, because of NYD (which I adore), Bad, and Patti Smith, but loved my first U2 GA experience on Friday, and being so close to the band,  and it was great to hear AIWIY which is another favourite of mine (and to see Bono without his sunglasses!).

One very minor disappointment is that Streets didn't seem quite "right" somehow (I think I've seen others mention similar?). On the 360 tour I saw 5 shows all from seats, and Streets was spine tingling and made me desperate to be down in GA for it. At the O2 it just didn't feel like that, even when I was in GA,  but can't put my finger on why.

Glad you enjoyed both shows, WelshGirl!  Thursday setlist certainly does seem the most exciting, but  I personally love the version of One on this tour, so was glad to get that.  It's strange you didn't enjoy Streets so much as it was a highlight for me.  I've seen it very many times before both in GA and seats but last night was among my favourites, probably the most I've been moved by it since the 80s shows I saw.  The band seemed to be really enjoying playing it, too - the performance didn't sound at all jaded despite the song being nearly 30 years old now.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »
Oh by the way tonight absolutely cemented for me the opinion that queueing for a rail spot is actually a worse spot than just strolling in at 745....

Couldn't agree more. I loved my place in front of Red Zone and texted a friend at 7.50 to say I could have arrived then and still got a great spot in the same area.

North or south?....i stood about 5 yards from red  zone north side pretty much all gig - when it thinned out at the interval i could have literally stood against it if i wanted to
North, I was between rz and catwalk, one row in  front of the people leaning on the rz barrier. I was amazed at how much space there was around me - other gigs I've done standing at I've often felt quite hemmed in.

Ha....must have been standing almost right next to you....you weren't wearing glasses with shortish brown hair pumps and earphones were you?

I was the tallish fella, balding shaved hair with a hooped jumper on and a bit (ever growing) of a beer belly!
I have shortish brown hair and glasses, was wearing converses,  and not headphones but earplugs. I suspect that was indeed me! Was your hooped jumper blue?

I think it was - you....you had on a zippped hoody/tracky top type thing...

I literally stood at times 2-3 yards from you...but moved in a few yards as gig went on.

Jumper not blue, green and grey hoops - could look blue in light on there.

Trainers were blue with yellow stripes if you looked at anybodys feet!

Small world!

It's too late an tha... you missed your chance.  So disappointing for WelshGirl and all the rest of us who wanted to hear if you're as charming in person as you are on here  :P

Whereabouts were you stood?  I spent the evening with a scouser, a cockney and a British woman who had spent 10 years in New Zeland and seen U2 over there.  Top people.

Glad you had a good night.....my condolences to those people you mention  :)

About 5 yards in from the red zone box (catwalk side) on the north side

At least I had the decency to talk to the people I was with, I didn't act all grumpy and ignore them like you did with poor old Welshgirl  :P

I am shy, not grumpy!  ;)

Awww, I guess we all are really.  I'm just envious as if I had stood where you were I could've met Welshgirl myself  :(

Are you ears ringing too?  Are you tempted to go to another show?  I think 2 would have been enough for me, but the good thing about tonight is I went alone so I could stand where I wanted, etc. , so it was worth it.  I think I enjoyed the first 4 or 5 songs when they rocked out on the main stage.  Electric Co & I Will Follow was like watching them back in 1984 again - very special.

Never suffer with the ear ringing.....years working in a noisy factory when i was younger i think.

I am done now - last night was an extra show bought yesterday on the back of Thursday's show - it is so easy to get tickets! Note to everyone - don't go on stubhub etc....axs.com is the place, the official site for o2 gig tickets and standing tickets were bought on the day of the gig!

3 shows in a week - all good, u2 are reborn live for me, light years better than the flop i found them on 360.

Energy is good - they sound urgent, tight and firey.

They also look like they are loving it and Bono sounds strong - for a 2nd night running and 4th in 6 days last night he didn't sound tired or like he was struggling really....he whispered some of EBW, he is avoiding some of the more strenuous notes like the 'feeeeel' on vertigo, but overall he is singing well.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
Oh by the way tonight absolutely cemented for me the opinion that queueing for a rail spot is actually a worse spot than just strolling in at 745....

Couldn't agree more. I loved my place in front of Red Zone and texted a friend at 7.50 to say I could have arrived then and still got a great spot in the same area.

North or south?....i stood about 5 yards from red  zone north side pretty much all gig - when it thinned out at the interval i could have literally stood against it if i wanted to
North, I was between rz and catwalk, one row in  front of the people leaning on the rz barrier. I was amazed at how much space there was around me - other gigs I've done standing at I've often felt quite hemmed in.

Ha....must have been standing almost right next to you....you weren't wearing glasses with shortish brown hair pumps and earphones were you?

I was the tallish fella, balding shaved hair with a hooped jumper on and a bit (ever growing) of a beer belly!
I have shortish brown hair and glasses, was wearing converses,  and not headphones but earplugs. I suspect that was indeed me! Was your hooped jumper blue?

I literally stood at times 2-3 yards from you...but moved in a few yards as gig went on.

Small world!

It's too late an tha... you missed your chance.  So disappointing for WelshGirl and all the rest of us who wanted to hear if you're as charming in person as you are on here  :P

Whereabouts were you stood?  I spent the evening with a scouser, a cockney and a British woman who had spent 10 years in New Zeland and seen U2 over there.  Top people.

At least I had the decency to talk to the people I was with, I didn't act all grumpy and ignore them like you did with poor old Welshgirl  :P

Awww, I guess we all are really.  I'm just envious as if I had stood where you were I could've met Welshgirl myself  :(

Are you ears ringing too?  Are you tempted to go to another show?  I think 2 would have been enough for me, but the good thing about tonight is I went alone so I could stand where I wanted, etc. , so it was worth it.  I think I enjoyed the first 4 or 5 songs when they rocked out on the main stage.  Electric Co & I Will Follow was like watching them back in 1984 again - very special.

Never suffer with the ear ringing.....years working in a noisy factory when i was younger i think.

I am done now - last night was an extra show bought yesterday on the back of Thursday's show - it is so easy to get tickets! Note to everyone - don't go on stubhub etc....axs.com is the place, the official site for o2 gig tickets and standing tickets were bought on the day of the gig!

3 shows in a week - all good, u2 are reborn live for me, light years better than the flop i found them on 360.

They also look like they are loving it and Bono sounds strong - for a 2nd night running and 4th in 6 days last night he didn't sound tired or like he was struggling really....he whispered some of EBW, he is avoiding some of the more strenuous notes like the 'feeeeel' on vertigo, but overall he is singing well.

Yep U2 are in fine fettle and seem to be very much enjoying the o2 shows.  They seem confident, relaxed and performing the material with precisions and power.  Bravo boys indeed.

You're right about tickets.  I got mine about 3.30 yesterday afternoon.  Met a guy at the venue asking desperately for a ticket and told him to go to the box office and he'd get one.

How did people manage to get paper tickets for standing?  I saw a few people with them, apparently the Box Office issues them - anyone have any ideas how/why?

Also a bloke near me on the south side was dragged out by security towards the end of the show and I am totally perplexed as to what that was about.  They nearly dragged me out with him ("are you with him?" Me: "NO!").  Did anyone see that and know what was going on?

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2015, 05:39:30 AM »

Odd, I was in Block 412 and 417 last night and 'Streets' was definitly the song that lifted the whole show into the stratosphere.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2015, 05:45:21 AM »
Paper tickets are issued when for example the card you bought with has expired....you have to get  them from the box office

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2015, 05:47:56 AM »
Streets has lost something...the opening seems to have lost it's punch/ the timing - it does not provide the lift off it did...

Songs can go through stages like this though - look at Pride, it has sounded tired for a while but is a song reborn now

I have suggested before (and been heavily disagreed with) but it may be time to rest Streets.

It's interesting because I thought Streets was excellent and the crowd were very energised by it as always.  Plus I like it a little less overblown than it has been on pretty much every 00 tour.  Looks like we all agree that Pride was great.  I enjoyed every song, to be honest.  My only qualm is Sunday Bloody Sunday.  I can see it fits the narrative of the show very well, and is thus necessary, but the arrangement they are using doesn't quite work for me. 

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
Loved the last 2 nights in GA ive been to every tour for 31 years now & U2 are totally reborn live,, this tour is really up there with the best... It was great to see this young lad next to us with his dad & he was totally blown away !!

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »

It's interesting because I thought Streets was excellent and the crowd were very energised by it as always.  Plus I like it a little less overblown than it has been on pretty much every 00 tour.  Looks like we all agree that Pride was great.  I enjoyed every song, to be honest.  My only qualm is Sunday Bloody Sunday.  I can see it fits the narrative of the show very well, and is thus necessary, but the arrangement they are using doesn't quite work for me. 

sbs seems slower & lacked energy.

Offline WelshGirl

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »
I wonder if maybe my expectations of Streets were too high? I've just listened to it at Wembley and Coimbra from 360 and vocally Bono sounded better at the O2 than he did back them. I would agree with An Tha that it's the intro that is missing something. A sense of urgency? Punchiness? Not sure. That said, I did still enjoy it, and certainly didn't hate it.

I completely agree with everyone about Pride, it was like a song reborn, loved it.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2015, 07:52:56 AM »

Small world!

Yep U2 are in fine fettle and seem to be very much enjoying the o2 shows.  They seem confident, relaxed and performing the material with precisions and power.  Bravo boys indeed.

You're right about tickets.  I got mine about 3.30 yesterday afternoon.  Met a guy at the venue asking desperately for a ticket and told him to go to the box office and he'd get one.

How did people manage to get paper tickets for standing?  I saw a few people with them, apparently the Box Office issues them - anyone have any ideas how/why?

Also a bloke near me on the south side was dragged out by security towards the end of the show and I am totally perplexed as to what that was about.  They nearly dragged me out with him ("are you with him?" Me: "NO!"). Did anyone see that and know what was going on?

If you mean close to the main stage, yeah ... I saw it.

The guy tried to muscle in to the rail about half way through the show. The diehards at the front, who'd been queuing since first thing weren't happy! A couple of them seemed very pally with U2's own security & asked for him to be removed. Yeah, really ... I guess it's not what you know!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »

Small world!

Also a bloke near me on the south side was dragged out by security towards the end of the show and I am totally perplexed as to what that was about.  They nearly dragged me out with him ("are you with him?" Me: "NO!"). Did anyone see that and know what was going on?

If you mean close to the main stage, yeah ... I saw it.

The guy tried to muscle in to the rail about half way through the show. The diehards at the front, who'd been queuing since first thing weren't happy! A couple of them seemed very pally with U2's own security & asked for him to be removed. Yeah, really ... I guess it's not what you know!

I can understand them being cranky - queueing for days and having one of the worst views of the show overall would put anybody in a narky mood...

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »
Wow! What a show. I took my 15 year old daughter for her first U2 concert and my sixth, and it was an incredible night. The opening four songs were like watching a punk band in a small club. The band were on incendiary form. Electric Co was sensational. We had Shine Like Stars, a full band Desire, All I Want Is you ... and as for Pride, a much maligned song these days, it took the roof off. There really is nothing like U2 live is there? 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 12:46:47 AM by Marvinho »