Author Topic: London Night 4 setlist October 30 *SPOILERS*  (Read 5298 times)

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: London Night 4 setlist October 30 *SPOILERS*
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow! What a show. I took my 15 year old daughter for her first U2 concert and my sixth, and it was an incredible night. The opening four songs were like watching a punk band in a small club. the band were on incendiary form. Electric Co was sensational. We had Shine Like Stars, a full band Desire, All I Want Is you ... and as for Pride, a much maligned song these days, it took the roof off. There really is nothing like U2 live is there? 

I'd be blown away with AIWIY it's only my wedding song! got it Rome 2005 my wifes 1St proper U2 show....would love it at Glasgow 1 or 2 I can only hope

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
Wow! What a show. I took my 15 year old daughter for her first U2 concert and my sixth, and it was an incredible night. The opening four songs were like watching a punk band in a small club. the band were on incendiary form. Electric Co was sensational. We had Shine Like Stars, a full band Desire, All I Want Is you ... and as for Pride, a much maligned song these days, it took the roof off. There really is nothing like U2 live is there?

No. Nothing. Nothing at all.

They've gone to a whole new level this tour. Phenomenal.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »

Also a bloke near me on the south side was dragged out by security towards the end of the show and I am totally perplexed as to what that was about.  They nearly dragged me out with him ("are you with him?" Me: "NO!"). Did anyone see that and know what was going on?

If you mean close to the main stage, yeah ... I saw it.

The guy tried to muscle in to the rail about half way through the show. The diehards at the front, who'd been queuing since first thing weren't happy! A couple of them seemed very pally with U2's own security & asked for him to be removed. Yeah, really ... I guess it's not what you know!
[/quote]

I didn't see him doing that.  He just stood there bouncing up and down a bit, taking some videos and photos on his phone.  Maybe at one point he tried to put one of his hands on the rail to give himself support?  There was loads of space around him and I didn't see him bothering anybody, but I wasn't in front of him so maybe he was getting at people there.  To get dragged out seemed excessive.  They could have just had a word with him and if he carried on doing whatever was considered objectionable dragged him out then.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2015, 03:15:48 PM »
Oh by the way tonight absolutely cemented for me the opinion that queueing for a rail spot is actually a worse spot than just strolling in at 745....

Couldn't agree more. I loved my place in front of Red Zone and texted a friend at 7.50 to say I could have arrived then and still got a great spot in the same area.

North or south?....i stood about 5 yards from red  zone north side pretty much all gig - when it thinned out at the interval i could have literally stood against it if i wanted to
North, I was between rz and catwalk, one row in  front of the people leaning on the rz barrier. I was amazed at how much space there was around me - other gigs I've done standing at I've often felt quite hemmed in.

Ha....must have been standing almost right next to you....you weren't wearing glasses with shortish brown hair pumps and earphones were you?

I was the tallish fella, balding shaved hair with a hooped jumper on and a bit (ever growing) of a beer belly!
I have shortish brown hair and glasses, was wearing converses,  and not headphones but earplugs. I suspect that was indeed me! Was your hooped jumper blue?

I think it was - you....you had on a zippped hoody/tracky top type thing...

I literally stood at times 2-3 yards from you...but moved in a few yards as gig went on.

Jumper not blue, green and grey hoops - could look blue in light on there.

Trainers were blue with yellow stripes if you looked at anybodys feet!

Small world!

It's too late an tha... you missed your chance.  So disappointing for WelshGirl and all the rest of us who wanted to hear if you're as charming in person as you are on here  :P

Whereabouts were you stood?  I spent the evening with a scouser, a cockney and a British woman who had spent 10 years in New Zeland and seen U2 over there.  Top people.

Glad you had a good night.....my condolences to those people you mention  :)

About 5 yards in from the red zone box (catwalk side) on the north side

At least I had the decency to talk to the people I was with, I didn't act all grumpy and ignore them like you did with poor old Welshgirl  :P

I am shy, not grumpy!  ;)

Awww, I guess we all are really.  I'm just envious as if I had stood where you were I could've met Welshgirl myself  :(

Are you ears ringing too?  Are you tempted to go to another show?  I think 2 would have been enough for me, but the good thing about tonight is I went alone so I could stand where I wanted, etc. , so it was worth it.  I think I enjoyed the first 4 or 5 songs when they rocked out on the main stage.  Electric Co & I Will Follow was like watching them back in 1984 again - very special.

Never suffer with the ear ringing.....years working in a noisy factory when i was younger i think.

I am done now - last night was an extra show bought yesterday on the back of Thursday's show - it is so easy to get tickets! Note to everyone - don't go on stubhub etc....axs.com is the place, the official site for o2 gig tickets and standing tickets were bought on the day of the gig!

3 shows in a week - all good, u2 are reborn live for me, light years better than the flop i found them on 360.

Energy is good - they sound urgent, tight and firey.

They also look like they are loving it and Bono sounds strong - for a 2nd night running and 4th in 6 days last night he didn't sound tired or like he was struggling really....he whispered some of EBW, he is avoiding some of the more strenuous notes like the 'feeeeel' on vertigo, but overall he is singing well.

Yep U2 are in fine fettle and seem to be very much enjoying the o2 shows.  They seem confident, relaxed and performing the material with precisions and power.  Bravo boys indeed.

You're right about tickets.  I got mine about 3.30 yesterday afternoon.  Met a guy at the venue asking desperately for a ticket and told him to go to the box office and he'd get one.

How did people manage to get paper tickets for standing?  I saw a few people with them, apparently the Box Office issues them - anyone have any ideas how/why?

Also a bloke near me on the south side was dragged out by security towards the end of the show and I am totally perplexed as to what that was about.  They nearly dragged me out with him ("are you with him?" Me: "NO!"). Did anyone see that and know what was going on?

If you mean close to the main stage, yeah ... I saw it.

The guy tried to muscle in to the rail about half way through the show. The diehards at the front, who'd been queuing since first thing weren't happy! A couple of them seemed very pally with U2's own security & asked for him to be removed. Yeah, really ... I guess it's not what you know!

I can understand them being cranky - queueing for days and having one of the worst views of the show overall would put anybody in a narky mood...

Don't be such a sourpuss :P  They were having a great time, they just wanted yards of space to themselves to have it in  :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Glad you both enjoyed it....

On 'shine like stars' i honestly felt it coming...you could tell bono was really enjoying it and buzzing and i just sensed it...

As he walked up the centre walk way I thought 'go on then, lad shine like stars' and then as he belted it out i openly admit to standing both hands held aloft head back and belting it out as loud as i could as well....

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »

I know what you mean about those first 4 songs.  It is not what I'd desecribe as punk but it was intense, energetic and accomplished rock music. As I stood there watching them belt out Electric Co and IWF it felt as if I was in 1984 seeing them perform the same songs at the Brixton Academy.   Was simply brilliant.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
I went Thursday and Friday and have to say, I think the Thursday show just edged it, firstly because it was 6 years since I saw them at Wembley Stadium and so I was thrilled to hear them play again after such a gap (and I while I was in row K of block 111 on Thursday, it was still a lot closer than where I was sat in Wembley, and the whole in the round thing seemed to work a whole lot better) and as the show was fresh to me, stuff like Sunday Bloody Sunday, October and Bullet The Blue Sky, what with the film show had a deeper emotional effect on me (although I had a prize eejit next to me who insisted on doing some dodgy grandad dancing all the way through SBS, even through the bit with the bomb effects going off) and I got to hear NYD and Bad, too of my all time favourites. 

Was standing yesterday (about 10 feet away from the little stage) and while we got Desire and All I Want Is You (amongst others), the amount of p***ed up idiots near me took some of the shine off things, there were two cockneys (I won't say the exact term that came to mind yesterday) who thought it was hilarious to have a 'Cor Blimey Guvnor' singsong at full blast before the show started, and an Irish fella who started crying when Bono climbed on stage before leaping about, singing along (badly) and throwing his arms out air drumming in all directions, although I think the excitement must have got too much for them after half an hour or so of the show as they disappeared (I'm guessing to find the bar), there were also a load of plonkers shouting out 'BONO!' at the beginning of October, to which he just gave a 'shhhh!' to - I was hoping he wasn't thinking it was me. OK so it was a Friday, but I can't see the logic in spending a lot of money on tickets for a show and then just getting hammered and making a fool of yourself in front of hundreds of other people. All I Want Is you lost a lot of its charm by Bono's vocals being drowned out by people singing it out of tune and louder than he was doing with a microphone.

Other than that, great stuff, the band were on fire. I'm grateful that Monday and Tuesday's standing tickets have all gone now, at least my bank account can recover, and I can get a good nights sleep (it seemed a good idea to get the boat to Thursday's show, didn't seem such a great idea when I didn't get home until a quarter past one, wasn't much better with the tube yesterday, getting home at half twelve)

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
I went Thursday and Friday and have to say, I think the Thursday show just edged it, firstly because it was 6 years since I saw them at Wembley Stadium and so I was thrilled to hear them play again after such a gap (and I while I was in row K of block 111 on Thursday, it was still a lot closer than where I was sat in Wembley, and the whole in the round thing seemed to work a whole lot better) and as the show was fresh to me, stuff like Sunday Bloody Sunday, October and Bullet The Blue Sky, what with the film show had a deeper emotional effect on me (although I had a prize eejit next to me who insisted on doing some dodgy grandad dancing all the way through SBS, even through the bit with the bomb effects going off) and I got to hear NYD and Bad, too of my all time favourites. 

Was standing yesterday (about 10 feet away from the little stage) and while we got Desire and All I Want Is You (amongst others), the amount of p***ed up idiots near me took some of the shine off things, there were two cockneys (I won't say the exact term that came to mind yesterday) who thought it was hilarious to have a 'Cor Blimey Guvnor' singsong at full blast before the show started, and an Irish fella who started crying when Bono climbed on stage before leaping about, singing along (badly) and throwing his arms out air drumming in all directions, although I think the excitement must have got too much for them after half an hour or so of the show as they disappeared (I'm guessing to find the bar), there were also a load of plonkers shouting out 'BONO!' at the beginning of October, to which he just gave a 'shhhh!' to - I was hoping he wasn't thinking it was me. OK so it was a Friday, but I can't see the logic in spending a lot of money on tickets for a show and then just getting hammered and making a fool of yourself in front of hundreds of other people. All I Want Is you lost a lot of its charm by Bono's vocals being drowned out by people singing it out of tune and louder than he was doing with a microphone.

Other than that, great stuff, the band were on fire. I'm grateful that Monday and Tuesday's standing tickets have all gone now, at least my bank account can recover, and I can get a good nights sleep (it seemed a good idea to get the boat to Thursday's show, didn't seem such a great idea when I didn't get home until a quarter past one, wasn't much better with the tube yesterday, getting home at half twelve)

Ha ha, I got back to Birmingham at 3:30 ... not that it's a competition but it might make you feel better!

I was very lucky, had a really great crowd around me. It's so hit & miss as to who you end up next to, can change the whole vibe of the gig unfortunately.

Offline yam_yam

• Refugee
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
3.30... I thought getting back to Brum at 2.45 was late!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

Ha ha, I got back to Birmingham at 3:30 ... not that it's a competition but it might make you feel better!

I was very lucky, had a really great crowd around me. It's so hit & miss as to who you end up next to, can change the whole vibe of the gig unfortunately.

I think you were near me if you saw the guy who was dragged out?  The crowd was good there indeed, apart from what happened to that poor bloke.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »

I think you were near me if you saw the guy who was dragged out?  The crowd was good there indeed, apart from what happened to that poor bloke.

Was the guy who was dragged off bald with a beautiful beige jacket on?

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »

That was him!  Where were you?

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »

Had my back to the red zone.He was two people in front of me & gave off the I'm a d**k vibe. He ended up further & further to the front as the show went on.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »

Had my back to the red zone.He was two people in front of me & gave off the I'm a d**k vibe. He ended up further & further to the front as the show went on.

Was the red zone near the front then?  He was in the 2nd row, by the rail, I think.  He was heavy but I didn't see him pushing people out the way to make his way forward.  There was a young American woman who turned up late and edged her way into row 2 too.  Noone did anything to her.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »
What do people in the red zone actually get (i realise the ticket money goes to charity) but aren't they really expensive and from what i could see they just get a spec that is a couple of inches raised off the floor in a cage.