Author Topic: Want some help finding live streams? Try the Twitter Watchdog for U2!  (Read 975 times)

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
Hi there :)

I've been following the tour very closlely and like many of you that do so I watch a lot of live streams. In the past it was always a bit hard to find links for the streams, I searched on Twitter for "u2 periscope" but most of the time a link to a stream is posted more than once because people watching a stream share a link to it and others might also retweet and it's not always easy to see what links are the same and what are new links so sometimes I was opening links to streams I had already watched that had gone offline and sometimes a link to a new stream got burried in the search results. And when I was not finding any links to Periscope streams I had to have another tab open in my browser to look for any Mixlr streams so I could keep up with the show.

This bothered me so much that I started to create a special addon for Twitter that would gather all the links and display a list of them for easier access, then I added more functionality to it so it would also list any available Mixlr streams and also monitor the U2 Meerkat stream. I have now finished this addon and want to share it with all of you, to install it simply go to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and follow the instructions there. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer them here in this thread :)

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
Re: Want some help finding live streams? Try the Twitter Watchdog for U2!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »
Anyone tried it yet? Or are you using other ways to follow all the live streams? It's very easy to use this addon, here's a screenshot of it in action on Twitter

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
I forgot to try this last night. I'll look at when I get home from work.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
I installed it... now what do I do?

I'm new to al this periscope meerkat stuff... any help would be hugely appreciated.

Muchos gracias!

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I installed it... now what do I do?

I'm new to al this periscope meerkat stuff... any help would be hugely appreciated.

Muchos gracias!

When the next show is about to start you simply go on Twitter and search for "U2 periscope", you can also just bookmark You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and then you should see links to both Periscope and Mixlr streems on the left side of the search results (just above where all the latest trends are usually listed) and when Twitter finds new tweets you just need to click the "x new search results" link that appears at the top of the page and that will add all new links found to the list. And under the lists you will also find a direct link to the U2 Meerkat stream and that link will turn red when it goes live, a link to it will also appear on your screen if you are watching a Periscope stream so you'll not miss it when it comes on.

This addon script works both in Firefox and Google Chrome but I highly recommend using Chrome because if you turn on the tab audio muting UI control you can mute individual tabs so you can then open more than one stream and just mute everyone except the one you want to watch, then when that one goes offline you just switch to the next tab and unmute that stream or switch to the Twitter search results and clik a link to a new stream. I was able to watch the whole show tonight with almost no interruption through 4 or 5 different streams.

If you want to follow a show then do it like a pro ;)

Offline summerrain

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
Great idea!  Will try next show, although I usually use the phone and the iPad to follow the shows

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
Slightly off topic, anyone know of any good recordings of the o2 October 30th show that isn't a torrent and isn't Mega nz as I can't get either to work on my laptop.An MP3 out there somewhere that doesn't have malware? A longshot I know but if anyone knows it's you lot on here!

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
So, anyone here tried my script yet? Or is nobody here as crazy as me? ::)

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
Works in Firefox!

Thanks!!!!

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Works in Firefox!

Thanks!!!!

Yeah, I know, I originally made this script to work in Chrome as I use that browser the most but when I decided to release it I made sure it would work in both browsers as I can not assume everyone is using Chrome :) However, I really recommend using Chrome over Firefox because it opens all new links in a new tab which is very convenient and you can also mute tabs (after you have activated that feature in the browser) so it's easy to open more than one stream, mute all of them except one and when that one goes offline you just unmute one of the rest. I usually manage to see the whole show from start to finish without much of a delay between songs while switching streams which also allowes me to see them sometimes play from more than one angle. And on the rare occasion no streams are online I quickly check the list of Mixlr links and open the Mixlr player for one of them ;)

Originally I had the idea to make a website to show the links (similar to Tim Neufeld's Periscope list but it would search for new links automatically) and I tinkered a bit with creating a Twitter app to that end but I found it a lot easier to create this script instead and the more better it got the more I thought I should publish it so others like me could stay better on top of all the streams. I have been thinking about maybe doing the website version someday before the next tour but I don't know if it will happen though, there seems to be a lot less demand than I thought for tools like these, a lot fewer people out there that follow every song on every show like I do :P ;D