Author Topic: SOE at Least a Year Away  (Read 11286 times)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
Re: SOE at Least a Year Away
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wonder if it will be free again?

They should make it free to members of U2.com and charge $50 for everyone else, just to watch people who complained about it being free last time have to complain about it being expensive this time.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Wonder if it will be free again?

They should make it free to members of U2.com and charge $50 for everyone else, just to watch people who complained about it being free last time have to complain about it being expensive this time.

Oh yeah! Subscribers gift!

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 02:56:52 PM »
Both the Hot Press article and the Independent articles are from today.   So unless they had the “best three hours in the studio since 1979” sometime between interviews….  Either a) The Edge ain’t lyin’ – they need to bring in a couple dozen more producers, b) Hot Press is using quotes from an old interview, or c) The Edge is creating a bit of subterfuge.

You need to look at quotes like this with U2’s past track record and assume:
•   They’re just not feelin’ it, and we’ll see a new album in 2017-2018, at best.
•   Jick’s algorithm’s are correct (and seriously, they have been) and the target has been 2020 all along.
•   They’re just going unleash this album on us at any moment.

The pragmatic part of me believes it’s bullet point number one.

But the release of Songs of Innocence makes me half-wonder if all bets are off and anything goes.  Maybe it gets released unexpectedly this Saturday after the HBO special, maybe it comes out of left field on Christmas morning, or perhaps it drops during the opening minutes of the first concert of the alleged tour next year.

Remember – in the weeks/last couple of months before September 9, 2014, there was denial and smoke screens all over the place.  One week Bono has too much wine and tells somebody three albums are almost ready.  The next week there are rumors the album won’t be out until sometime in 2015.  Even on September 4 of last year a U2 spokesperson said that “(U2) are not performing at the iPhone launch.” 

It’s just hard to say.  My money is on 2017-18, but after the release of Songs of Innocence, I wouldn’t be surprised to be surprised.       

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
i didn't really expect it till maybe the end of 2016 if we're lucky. i mean Songs of Ascent was promised etc then they retconned it and said its the last in the "Songs" trilogy of albums and now they're "delaying" SOE. i'm more focused on when i get to see the damn tour :(

Waffles

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »
Either way there is a positive. If We get a new album early next year, hooray! Or we get a new album at the end of the year guaranteeing a 2017 tour for them to play it

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
"Back end of next year" doesn't necessarily have to mean October-December.

They could mean anything from July onwards. I'm going for a later summer 2016 release #PositiveThoughts  ;D

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
Man U2 must love screwing with their fans.  Edge said the back end of the year and early in the year on the same day???  I conclude that they are just trying to confuse us, and the album will be released tomorrow. 

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
Man U2 must love screwing with their fans.  Edge said the back end of the year and early in the year on the same day???  I conclude that they are just trying to confuse us, and the album will be released tomorrow.

Well, I don't suppose he spoke to both publications today. I think the issue dates are today. And who knows, maybe something got lost in translation. I would trust Hot Press more than the Independent, but that's just my silly optimism.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:05 AM »
What's Guy advising them? Does he even remember he's their manager?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:43:05 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 03:38:43 AM »
Waiting is so boring that I'll compose my own album for the beginning of 2016.

Hope it will fill the void that U2 are leaving in you! :D

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 06:11:04 AM »
I wish U2 would dare to drop an album that they, most of their fan base and the critics would like. IMHO that album is an album with less production and less thought behind it. Anything other than trying to sound current and relevant, which they are not. They are a heavy sounding band with so-so but original musicians and a great singer, that together produce a unique sound. I remember the story when Howie B heard them rehearsing during  Popmart as they were getting slammed by critics...he asked what loops and backing tracks they were using as  it sounded so cool. They had just put their instruments in a room and were playing together in the most simple way possible...

Troubles is a good end to trying to be relevant, and a start of something new and more interesting.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:29 AM »
I really hope the album is free we the fans deserve a new free U2 album considering the price of tickets.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 07:00:07 AM »
I really hope the album is free we the fans deserve a new free U2 album considering the price of tickets.
Oh please.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:53 AM »
they may finish the album in early 2016 and release it in late 2016.
so the 2 info make sense to me

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »

you got a free one already and you don't "deserve" anything.