Author Topic: "Cancelling Paris Concerts... Biggest Mistake of U2s Career"  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
"Cancelling Paris Concerts... Biggest Mistake of U2s Career"
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Parisian authorities shut down the U2 show?  What's this guy's deal? 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

surit87

Re: "Cancelling Paris Concerts... Biggest Mistake of U2s Career"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
Obviously someone who's weak on research.

Offline Taco

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I like tacos
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
It amazes me how this man has a job

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
If there's any further doubt that there's a Great Internet Conspiracy against U2, this nails it. Somebody out there really hates U2, wants people to hate U2, and manages to find an anti-U2 angle in just about everything the band do. Before the Apple SOI launch, you never saw this unmitigated piling-on, every time the band so much as breathed. It's like there's a whole cottage industry out there. When and why did U2 become the Enemy? You'd think after a year and a great tour, they'd have given up...

So let's chew on this little gem. What's he trying to make us think? Next thing you know, people will be contrasting this with the post 9/11 shows (never mind that this was all new in 2001; if 9/11 happened today,  NYC would be in lockdown and the October shows would be up in the air..how quickly Wesern populaces have taken to the concept of "lockdown"--it's so sad) and saying how things have changed, U2 have become cowards, giving into the terrorists, etc. So tiring.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
Shutdown, not cancelled.

I mean, with 129 dead and hundreds of wounded only 24 and 48 hours earlier, of course U2 should play two shows of 20 000 people each. What could possibly go wrong ?

And in the case of them "busking", how long till we get the "opportunist pig st Bono" comments ?

What an idiot.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
How does this idiot have a job?

Guess anybody can be a journalist these days?

Blofeld Returns

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
The Guardian/Observer employ a lot of hacks.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »
And if they had played, this same guy writes a story about U2 being money-grubbing _______ pandering to an American crowd on HBO and insensitive to the suffering of their French fans.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I wont even bother to read this piece of Sh!te! 

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »
If anything it's madonnas

Offline Am I bugging you?

• Party Girl/Boy
  • “Fu<k the revolution”
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
  This guy is a disrespectful idiot. He is using this terrible tragedy as an opportunity to poke s**t at U2. I don't think the French police and army would be too impressed having to secure a sing-a-long. Gutter journalism requires a lot more talent than this guy possesses.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Guardian/Observer employ a lot of hacks.

I was horrified when I saw the name 'Observer' but it turns out this is a New York based rag. They must be more online based and on the fringes of cultural commentating.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
What an absolute d*******, isn't it enough that they're rescheduling the concerts? Even if the police didn't shut down their concert it wouldn't have been right to have a rock n roll concert 24 hours after the shootings - not to even mention the safety risks. Amazes me how he could turn something so tragic into this.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »
Firstly, I get where he's coming from, secondly, he paralleled Stiff Little Fingers' gig on the 18th (last night) with the supposedly missed opportunity of U2 showing up in the streets, or a small club.

I get his point, and I think in a couple of days such an impromptu "festival" of busking superstars, and music acts could and probably should happen. The march after the Charlie Hebdo attack was a very fine moment of solidarity and humanity, and this occasion needs something similarly joyous and life affirming to follow.

As for safety, the gigs should be impromptu, unannounced and guarded by some gunmen, but anyway, life just isn't safe at all, so f*** fear, make the most of the moment, make as much or more of the moment as those bastards with AKs made of theirs.

Offline buckeyebonogirl

• Wanderer
  • I love you 'cause I need to
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »
If U2 showed up on the street to busk there would have been a large crowd. The French authorities didn't want large crowds ( they closed parks for 3 days) and didn't need to divert resources to protecting and securing an impromptu concert. I'm getting sick of people calling them cowards or being afraid. They had no choice and to argue otherwise is pathetic. If U2 was scheduled to play Paris last night then I'm sure the show would have gone on seeing how they played tonight. The guy has no point and is just using his job as a "journalist" to take a swipe at U2.