Author Topic: Your Best Guess On Ticket Prices in North America?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
Your Best Guess On Ticket Prices in North America?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
Based on the rumors and released information that the tour will be: all stadiums, 25 shows in Europe, 25 shows in North America before Christmas with more later in 2010, playing in the round making the largest seating capacity in each venue allowed by law available, that there will be "extreme tiering" in the ticket price, unusually low ticket prices, pricing based on current economic conditions, but with the bands desire to still make large profits, here is my best guess:

I think they will shoot for about an average of $5 million gross per show, with an average of about 70,000 attendance per show. I think they will use 5 different ticket price levels with an average of about $70 dollars a ticket.

A) 15,000 field tickets at: $110
B) 13,750 1st Tier Lower: $90
C) 13,750 1st Tier Upper: $70
D) 13,750 2nd Tier Lower: $50
E) 13,750 2nd Tier Upper: $30

I doubt they will charge more than this if they are going for an average attendance of 70,000 or more per night in North America with 25 shows before Christmas 2009. In fact, a $100, $80, $60, $40, $20 pricing arrangement is probably just as likely.

I think the following Cities in North America have the best chance at getting a concert in 2009:

Boston 2 shows
New York City 2 shows
Philadelphia 1 show
Washington DC 1 show
Miami 1 show
Los Angeles 2 shows
San Francisco 1 show
Chicago 2 shows
Vancouver 1 show
Montreal 1 show
Toronto 2 shows
Edmonton 1 show
Detroit 1 show
Columbus 1 show
Dallas 1 show
Phoenix 1 show
Denver 1 show
San Diego 1 show
Minneapolis 1 show
Atlanta 1 show

WARNING: This is all a guess, none of this information is official or confirmed.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Your Best Guess On Ticket Prices in North America?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
It's hard for me to see U2 charging that much for field tickets. They usually sell GA the cheapest.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's hard for me to see U2 charging that much for field tickets. They usually sell GA the cheapest.

But based on demand, those are the tickets that are highest in demand. U2 could probably sell those tickets at $200 dollars a pop. There were GA's on the last tour that were being resold for $300 dollars. You can have a little gift like that when your playing Basketball Arena's and there are only 2,000 tickets on the floor. But in football stadiums you have 15,000 people on the floor and if your only charging $50 dollars, your loosing a lot of money or forcing fans that are much further from the stage up in the stands to pay even more than what they would normaly pay.

I suppose they could charge less, but that means they would have to raise prices for the seats which are much further away from the stage than they are in an arena.

shockdocta22

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »
if its outdoors, just pretend youre riding your bike by and "Oh no, im lost, my chain broke, i guess i have to stay here  ;D :D ;)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »
I don't think they'll suddenly make the GA tickets more expensive than the others. The other ones are more expensive because you are paying more to actually have a seat to sit in, and with GA you have the stand the whole time and it's up in the air where you will actually end up in relation to the stage.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:45:16 AM »
I don't think they'll suddenly make the GA tickets more expensive than the others. The other ones are more expensive because you are paying more to actually have a seat to sit in, and with GA you have the stand the whole time and it's up in the air where you will actually end up in relation to the stage.

Ok, what do you think of this price set up then?

A) 15,000 field tickets at: $70
B) 13,750 1st Tier Lower: $110
C) 13,750 1st Tier Upper: $90
D) 13,750 2nd Tier Lower: $50
E) 13,750 2nd Tier Upper: $30

I can't see them going any lower than that. The seats that are difficult to sell will be the ones that will be the least expensive. Remember, were talking about having to sell 70,000 tickets, not 18,000. Your not going to be very successful in doing that if you price the most in demand tickets the lower than the ones that are the most difficult to sell

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 05:18:36 AM »
My guess is the highest ticket prices will be much higher than $110.   I'm thinking the highest will be around $300. 

Bono says, "We're trying to work on some cheaper ticket prices because this is the recession. We're also going to have some very expensive ticket prices because rich people have feelings too! We've got something very special planned, something we've been working on for many years, a whole way of trying to do shows outdoors and make them very intimate."

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »
My guess is the highest ticket prices will be much higher than $110.   I'm thinking the highest will be around $300. 

Bono says, "We're trying to work on some cheaper ticket prices because this is the recession. We're also going to have some very expensive ticket prices because rich people have feelings too! We've got something very special planned, something we've been working on for many years, a whole way of trying to do shows outdoors and make them very intimate."

The Rolling Stones and Madonna have ticket prices as high or higher than $300 dollars because they charge that much for tickets closest to the stage. They have seated tickets on the field, not GA. With General Admission, there can be only one ticket price and there is no way that they will charge 15,000 GA at $300 dollars. The seats in Tier 1 of the stadium are much further away from the stage than they are in an arena. Do to the distance, none of those seats can be charged the $300 dollar level. They could have a small number at maybe $160 to $200 in the stands but that is about it.

You can't have really expensive($300+) ticket prices in a football stadium when the entire field is General Admission. With the way the stage is being set up in the middle of the field, its likely they will have to sell an average of 70,000 tickets per show. Its possible for U2 to do that if they get the tiering of ticket prices correct.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
Madonna's 2009 tour average ticket price was $151. I'm not going to try to guess what the upper end will be for U2, but I'd be really surprised to see any tix below $40. By the same token, I'd be just as surprised to see GA tix at > $50.

#@!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
Madonna's 2009 tour average ticket price was $151. I'm not going to try to guess what the upper end will be for U2, but I'd be really surprised to see any tix below $40. By the same token, I'd be just as surprised to see GA tix at > $50.

#@!

1. Most of the stadiums Madonna played on her tour were in cities and countries she had never played before or had not played in 15 to 20 years.

2. Madonna was not playing "In The Round" in stadiums. When you play "in the round" in outdoor stadiums, 20,000 to 30,000 more seats become available for sale. In order to sell those extra seats, the ticket price has to be lowered. Madonna did not have to do this because she played stadiums with the conventional format.

3. Madonna uses fixed seats on the field and does not use General Admission where only one ticket price is used on the field. By using fixed seats on the field, you can increase the ticket prices as you get closer to the stage.

Offline oy_vey_mama

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »
They had 2-tier pricing for GA at the Joburg Popmart show. Golden Circle were higher priced and were in the area from the end of the ramp to the stage. The rest of the field was a slightly lower price. They used fencing to split the areas. It should be easy enough to do at other stadiums, and lets them take advantage of the higher demand for people who want to try to get close to the stage, while still having a good number of cheap GA tickets for people who like the experience but have no intention of trying to get close.

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »

I've thought about it some more, and now I'm thinking it may be like this instead:

A) 15,000 field tickets at: $45
B)   8,000 1st Tier Lower-Center: $225
C) 19,500 1st Tier Lower and Upper: $90
D) 13,750 2nd Tier Lower: $45
E) 13,750 2nd Tier Upper: $20

A) $675,000
B) $1,800,000
C) $1,755,000
D) $618,750
E) $275,000

TOTAL GROSS: $5,123,750

I remember the Police had $225 dollar ticket tier right next to a $90 ticket tier. In addition, there were actually some tickets in the stands at Police Stadium concerts that were at the $225 ticket price. With U2 putting the stage in the center of the field, I would imagine a $225 ticket section would be 4,000 one side centered on the 50 yard line, and 4,000 on the other side centered on the 50 yard line. These would be the best seats in the stands, and it does appear that there probably are 5,000 to 10,000 people in each of the big markets that would be willing and may want to pay for such tickets. Ironically, the Tier 1 ticket people(those paying $225 and $90) end up paying for 70% of the show. This allows you to keep those GA tickets at a very low price as well as the upper tier tickets which will be the most difficult to sell. I think this is more in line with reports of VERY expensive tickets and VERY cheap tickets.

Offline imafan

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
  Who wants to sit at a u2 concert!!!  That's (the only thing) I hated about u2 3d movie!!

Offline Carrick

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
Well, the average ticket price levels for the North America tour have now been released.

15% of tickets at $250
next 45% of tickets at $95
remaining 40% of tickets at $55 and $30 with at least 10,000 tickets at ever show at the $30 dollar price

So for a 70,000 capacity show, that works out to:

A) 10,500 tickets at $250
B)  31,500 tickets at $95
C) 18,000 tickets at $55
D) 10,000 tickets at $30

A) $2,625,000
B) $2,992,500
C) $990,000
D) $300,000

TOTAL GROSS: $6,907,500 for 70,000 attendance.

It also appears that there will be just 20 shows In North America from September 12 to October 28. European tour will be 25 shows from June 29 to August 22. Then, they return to North America in 2010 for 20 shows in June and July. Then another 25 shows in Europe in August and September. Finally, its down to Mexico/South America for 10 shows October and November 2010. A total of 100 shows and potentially the highest grossing tour in history with about $600 million in gross over a 17 month period of time.

This is where I'm guessing they will play on the first leg of the North America tour in 2009:

Chicago 2 shows
Edmonton 1 show
Columbus Ohio 1 show
Boston 2 shows
New York City 2 shows
Philadelphia 1 show
Washington DC 1 show
Atlanta 1 show
Dallas 1 show
Phoenix 1 show
Los Angeles 2 shows
San Francisco 1 show
Vancouver 1 show
Montreal 1 show
Toronto 2 shows

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

I was close... :P