Author Topic: Has Streets lost something live?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Has Streets lost something live?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
I think it kind of has lost something, but it is still amazing. The organ intro should be longer, and Larry should go back to doing the hi-hat/stick clicks.

Offline cianoregan10

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
I was in GA in Dublin last night and, as it's been said before, when the lights go bright everyone just went nuts, as well as when Edge plays the first notes.

Zooropa provides a wonderful build up and I love the organ in the background- it makes it sound more like the original recording.

As good, if not better than ever for me. I got the end of Zooropa and the first verse on video if you want to judge for yourselves.
YouTube video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
I agree that it needs to have the longer intro. I'm surprised they haven't played it as the encore opener.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »
It was in the encore spot in the US leg of the tour. It hasn't opened a set, encore or otherwise, since 1989.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Streets on this tour along with a few other songs feels revitalised. Maybe its the fact these shows are indoor and a rarity for Europe but the shows I've seen the place has gone bonkers when streets has come on.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:03 AM »
I reckon it does not come at the right time in the gig.
they lost me after they played this song and the hits.
least interesting part of the concert to me

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
Streets needs the long intro, but ya know, as soon as the organ starts, and you know what's coming next, it doesn't really matter. Wonderful song, always will be. It brings tears to my eyes every time, every version.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
It would benefit A LOT from the classic long intro. Without it you get the sensation that something's missing, it's not as much as powerful.

I don't know why, but I've always prefered the half step down D flat version of Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation Tour to the normal version they've been playing since Vertigo Tour.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
Agreed...it's really NOT as powerful without the long intro. But, again, there has never been a bad version. It's just a beautiful thing. I saw both Phoenix shows on this tour, and have never been so moved as when they played Streets. There is no limit to this beauty.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
I know this is a stupid idea, but I always think that Streets has to be played outdoors - in an open space with no roof above it. In the arenas it doesn't seem to lift the same way. Don't know, it's probably just me. I'm an outdoor kind of person.

Offline zummo

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
the key to me in explaining streets decline is bono can't shut up during it. It used to be a song about wide open space, which means vocally....there should be no bono noise over edge intro and outro....none.....no africa gods must be crazy lyrics, no la la lo los...sing it straight up and let it breathe a bit. But then what would the snippet crowd do?

Offline u2gw

• Babyface
  • Eclipsed by the moon...
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »
I actually had this discussion with m2 after we both saw Chicago 5 back at the beginning of July. My contention was indeed that it had lost something, and I think people are hitting on it--it's all about the intro. On the North American leg, they were using the Mother and Child bit as the intro, and to me it just fell a little flat. That night at United Center, GA barely reacted more than for a normal song, so I thought it might have reached the end of its glory days.

Then came the European leg. That stretch from October through Bullet to Zooropa and then Streets is as good live [not saying better though] as anything they've done in their career, and I don't even think there's an argument to be made otherwise. Like some others, I like the longer organ intro too--including the more digital-sounding one during Popmart--but thematically, there's never been a better tie-in than the current one about safety and home.

All I know is, I like to think that when I die: 1. I'll go to heaven, and 2. as I approach the gates, the intro to Streets will be playing, with Larry kicking in full right as the gates open. I guess we'll see...but hopefully later rather than sooner.  :)

GW

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I actually had this discussion with m2 after we both saw Chicago 5 back at the beginning of July. My contention was indeed that it had lost something, and I think people are hitting on it--it's all about the intro. On the North American leg, they were using the Mother and Child bit as the intro, and to me it just fell a little flat. That night at United Center, GA barely reacted more than for a normal song, so I thought it might have reached the end of its glory days.

Then came the European leg. That stretch from October through Bullet to Zooropa and then Streets is as good live [not saying better though] as anything they've done in their career, and I don't even think there's an argument to be made otherwise. Like some others, I like the longer organ intro too--including the more digital-sounding one during Popmart--but thematically, there's never been a better tie-in than the current one about safety and home.

All I know is, I like to think that when I die: 1. I'll go to heaven, and 2. as I approach the gates, the intro to Streets will be playing, with Larry kicking in full right as the gates open. I guess we'll see...but hopefully later rather than sooner.  :)

GW

I know how you feel. I was there for the fifth Chicago show and the song didn't take off the way it normally does, which I attributed to the intro. Streets should be a triumphant chorus when coming out of the storm, like following Bad or Please or One. Where it was placed in the set just didn't give it the buildup it usually has, though the European sets have been much better in that regard.

EdgeWanderer

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 11:22:26 PM »
Maybe Bono's voice isn't what it once was, but musically Streets still doesn't sound tired. At my lone show, Denver 1 in June, it really took off. I would've preferred the extended organ intro, but Streets was still the highlight of the show for me, probably because it was my first U2 concert. Nothing compares to the first time you hear that song live in person.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:02 AM »
It will always be an amazing live song, one that gets tame audiences out of their seats at the first notes of Edge's delayed guitar.
At the shows I saw the 1-2-3 punch of Streets, Pride and With Or Without You got the arena absolutely going off.