Author Topic: Has Streets lost something live?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Has Streets lost something live?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:31 AM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I actually had this discussion with m2 after we both saw Chicago 5 back at the beginning of July. My contention was indeed that it had lost something, and I think people are hitting on it--it's all about the intro. On the North American leg, they were using the Mother and Child bit as the intro, and to me it just fell a little flat. That night at United Center, GA barely reacted more than for a normal song, so I thought it might have reached the end of its glory days.

Then came the European leg. That stretch from October through Bullet to Zooropa and then Streets is as good live [not saying better though] as anything they've done in their career, and I don't even think there's an argument to be made otherwise. Like some others, I like the longer organ intro too--including the more digital-sounding one during Popmart--but thematically, there's never been a better tie-in than the current one about safety and home.

All I know is, I like to think that when I die: 1. I'll go to heaven, and 2. as I approach the gates, the intro to Streets will be playing, with Larry kicking in full right as the gates open. I guess we'll see...but hopefully later rather than sooner.  :)

GW

Yep I agree. One of the reasons that I'm really hoping for another North American leg. They've improved upon the song by placing it with Zooropa.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »

I actually had this discussion with m2 after we both saw Chicago 5 back at the beginning of July. My contention was indeed that it had lost something, and I think people are hitting on it--it's all about the intro. On the North American leg, they were using the Mother and Child bit as the intro, and to me it just fell a little flat. That night at United Center, GA barely reacted more than for a normal song, so I thought it might have reached the end of its glory days.

Then came the European leg. That stretch from October through Bullet to Zooropa and then Streets is as good live [not saying better though] as anything they've done in their career, and I don't even think there's an argument to be made otherwise. Like some others, I like the longer organ intro too--including the more digital-sounding one during Popmart--but thematically, there's never been a better tie-in than the current one about safety and home.

All I know is, I like to think that when I die: 1. I'll go to heaven, and 2. as I approach the gates, the intro to Streets will be playing, with Larry kicking in full right as the gates open. I guess we'll see...but hopefully later rather than sooner.  :)

GW

Yep I agree. One of the reasons that I'm really hoping for another North American leg. They've improved upon the song by placing it with Zooropa.
YES! I didn't care for the Mother & Child lead-in...at all. Zooropa works much better.
And, I KNOW that I'm going to heaven, and holy crap (pardon the pun!) if Streets is playing at the gates...well, yeah...that would truly be heaven! Ya gotta believe!!!

Offline U2Crush

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
No.  Still brings goosebumps every time!

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
Yes.  It needs a certain je ne sais quoi.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
Mother & Child Reunion did not work as a lead in.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
Does it always have to have another song as lead in?
For me the long intro with organ and guitar would do perfectly.

Offline camper33

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with the intro. In the past, the transition from the previous song to Streets has been pretty seamless and/or longer (Slane Castle's AIWIY to Streets comes to mind). If they can really nail that transition and maybe turn up the intro pads/strings, I think the magic would return.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »
Yes, not close to where it used to be.  Bono is mailing it in, treating it as a victory tune.

Unfortunately, I largely agree.  Watching some recent clips, it is suffering from what WOWY has dealt with for so long: Too often, Bono seems like he just isn't trying with that one.  In the past, the band has said in interviews that Streets is the song that can always be trusted to achieve liftoff.  This remains true, but not if it's being half-assed, or if Bono does that thing where he rap-talks unintelligibly during a song.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
Yeah, they should just play it clean.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
I'll take any version over the overblown synth driven version I just listened to from the final Lovetown show.  That was atrocious.