Author Topic: Five things about Dublin  (Read 1219 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
Five things about Dublin
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »
For those who attended the Dublin shows...what 5 things (besides the concerts themselves) were memorable about Dublin and 5 things you wish to forget? Here are mine:

Memorable
1. Meeting passionate U2 fans from around the world. I met people from Germany, Italy, Paris, Israel, Australia, Brazil, Holland, Spain, every corner of the US and Ireland of course.
2. Guinness!
3. The beautiful greenness of Ireland.
4. The Little Museum of Dublin's U2 exhibit.
5. The friendliness of the Dublin people.

Wish to forget
1. Those U2 fans who feel they are self-important, entitled, superior to all other fans because of their "devotion" to the lads.
2. The cold, rain and wind. I was freezing most of the time. (Luckily, there were two days when I was on the West Coast that the weather was beautiful).
3. The rude fans during Saturday's concert who insisted on having loud conversations during the quieter parts of the performance (ex. EBW)
4. My plane at the Dublin airport having maintenance problems causing me to miss my flight in Toronto.
5. Missing my chance to meet Larry when he came out to meet fans on Monday after I left to go queue.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:11:16 PM by bonofaninaustin »

Waffles

Re: Five things about Dublin
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 12:58:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For those who attended the Dublin shows...what 5 things (besides the concerts themselves) were memorable about Dublin and 5 things you wish to forget? Here are mine:

Memorable
1. Meeting passionate U2 fans from around the world. I met people from Germany, Italy, Paris, Israel, Australia, Brazil, Holland, Spain, every corner of the US and Ireland of course.
2. Guinness!
3. The beautiful greenness of Ireland.
4. The Little Museum of Dublin's U2 exhibit.
5. The friendliness of the Dublin people.

Wish to forget
1. Those U2 fans who feel they are self-important, entitled, superior to all other fans because of their "devotion" to the lads.
2. The cold, rain and wind. I was freezing most of the time. (Luckily, there were two days when I was on the West Coast that the weather was beautiful).
3. The rude fans during Saturday's concert who insisted on having loud conversations during the quieter parts of the performance (ex. EBW)
4. My plane at the Dublin airport having maintenance problems causing me to miss my flight in Toronto.
5. Missing my chance to meet Larry when he came out to meet fans on Monday after I left to go queue.

I've heard terrible singing from people during a concert but conversations? How can you even hear over the speakers

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:35:15 AM »
There was LOADS of Americans in Dublin for them days its all you could hear..!!!!!!

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Sounds awesome.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
There was LOADS of Americans in Dublin for them days its all you could hear..!!!!!!

I am sure every local business owner in Dublin and across Ireland appreciates them

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »

I am sure every local business owner in Dublin and across Ireland appreciates them

I was wondering how much of an economic impact a hometown show has for Dublin. I'm sure someone has estimated this.

Offline Connordo

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:03 PM »
1.  Being able to meet Larry on Monday night after waiting since 1pm, got a pic of the wife with Larry, the elusive one!!!  Bonofaninaustin, which side of the gate were you on, we were on the west side.  Got interviewed by the Irish independent and a radio station.  Was funny that the next day picture that was online, I was blocked by guy in front of me (Kevin from Mass).
2.  Meeting people from all over as well and spending time in ga queue the next day with the same group, great conversations and exchange of experiences and stories.  Made the time go enjoyably.
3.  Going to Malahide on a nice day Sunday with no rain!!!
4.  Getting Bad/40 to end day 2 that otherwise was going to be a standard setlist.  Seeing both Edge and Adam read my sign and smirk at me.  Yeah was part of the concert but really ended the journey on a fantastic high.
5.  Spending it with my partner in crime.

Things to forget
1.  Those 25 minute walks from the hotel to the 3arena in the rain across the River Liffey, the wind seemed to pick up each time we crossed!
2.  The fact that all convenience stores Spar/Centra etc close at either 11:30pm or sooner.  Am I the only one who wants late night snacks in Dublin?
3.  The bill when we got home.
4.  The slightly over zealous "guy" line leader who got a little out of hand lining people up and pulling people out of line when night 1 ended and people started streaming out to line up for night 2.
5.  The fact that we could not figure out the bus routes on the one free day we had and walked all over Dublin again!!!   Been here twice before and you would have figured I would have it down by now.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
Here's my list. BTW I had to go to Dublin by myself during thanksgiving, so I was very nervous about being so far away from my family especially on Thanksgiving.  Fortunately, common sense won out and I had a great time.  Also, the Bed and Breakfast I was staying in was a short bus ride away from Dublin Airport, the stop was literally right at the front door. 

Memorable
1. Meeting U2BROTHR (briefly)
2. Guinness!
3. Seeing that GREENNESS from your airplane window.  The greenest place on Earth.
4. Big ups to the Flyover B&B, the guy running it was a sweetheart and he told me quite a few people stayed there for U2.  He gave me all the tools I needed to get to the city centre and hooked me up with a taxi to the airport on my last day (early flight home)
5. The Dublin people's banter.  it's one thing to see it on TV for years, but in person, you can't help but eavesdrop , haha

Wish to forget
1. Guess why Ireland is so green?  The rain.  THE RAIN.  I've never seen rain so constant in my life, haha.  The wind was no joke either.
2. Dublin Airport was fine, Pearson was a pain in the ass - had to make a new connection after missing the original one due to engine trouble pre-takeoff (a lot of people missed connections that day). 
3. After 11, certain buses stop running, making finding another one to go back to your hotel/B&B difficult and dangerous if you're a tourist.  Fortunately a taxi helped me out - only 10 Euro for the trip, can't complain about that.
4. That LONG WALK from the 3Arena to the Luas tram stop, then the LONG WAIT for said Luas.
5. Two silver haired old guys in my section taking selfies (with a selfie stick) during Every Breaking Wave.  On the plus side, they weren't in front of me.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:59:22 PM by Kurukira »