Breathe
46 (44.2%)
Elevation
7 (6.7%)
Mofo
15 (14.4%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: January 12, 2016, 05:51:07 PM

Author Topic: Worst opening song.  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
Worst opening song.
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
Breathe as the first song just didn't work for me, it was like someone unplugged the juke box at the party.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Worst opening song.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Outside of the chanting, Miracle seems a little flat compared to other openers they have had.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
If you start with he premise that the opening song should be something that everyone in the crowd knows (the Big Radio Hit), anything from now on just isn't going to be the same.  It will be a giant miracle (no pun intended) if U2 ever has a genuine big hit again. This is the era of hip-hop and pop. Rock bands like theirs just aren't the big thing anymore. This would have sounded insane 30 years ago, but here we are.

"Elevation" is just about the limit of how far U2 ought to ever go in the direction of fluff pop-rock, but it was perfect as an opener for its time.  It has the right energy, and EVERYONE knew it.  It didn't have to be a very meaningful song; if just had to kick off the crowd. 

"Joey Ramone" is theoretically a great opener, but a lot of the crowd doesn't know it for the reasons discussed above.  I really don't know what they do about that in the future, other than what they're already doing now. "This is our new album, this is what we are at singing about, listen up".  If that bothers anyone who doesn't know anything that wasn't on Joshua Tree, oh well.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »
I dislike Miracle, and in particular, the way it's staged.  Not to be picky:

For one, I don't like Bono taking the stage, with house lights up, alone on the catwalk.  There's already too much general perception of U2 as "Bono + the other guys".  Starting the show like this doesn't help alleviate that impression.  And they've already started a show with the house lights up to better effect with Elevation.  Also, the word-less sing-along before the song starts: it's not that popular a tune, so it's not like the crowd is just clamoring to sing along with the "new hit song".  It all just seems too presumptuous: "we know you love Bono, here he is!  He doesn't even need to do anything, you'll just scream for him and sing along to the new song because he's inviting you to!"  Once the show kicks off, it's fine--though it's still maybe my least-liked song from the new album--but I wish they just started the show by building anticipating, lights going out, and the band takes the stage.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
Return of the Stingray Guitar.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dislike Miracle, and in particular, the way it's staged.  Not to be picky:

For one, I don't like Bono taking the stage, with house lights up, alone on the catwalk.  There's already too much general perception of U2 as "Bono + the other guys".  Starting the show like this doesn't help alleviate that impression.  And they've already started a show with the house lights up to better effect with Elevation.  Also, the word-less sing-along before the song starts: it's not that popular a tune, so it's not like the crowd is just clamoring to sing along with the "new hit song".  It all just seems too presumptuous: "we know you love Bono, here he is!  He doesn't even need to do anything, you'll just scream for him and sing along to the new song because he's inviting you to!"  Once the show kicks off, it's fine--though it's still maybe my least-liked song from the new album--but I wish they just started the show by building anticipating, lights going out, and the band takes the stage.

Maybe not the best one, but I liked it a lot, it gives the song more energy that way. I wonder if Magnificent would work out. I hope for next tour they have a real cool lift off .......

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
Breathe. I love it for its originality and experimentation, but the verses are just way too embarrassing.

Offline Kite32

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »

Breathe is a good song and I liked it as a non crowd pleasing single opener. However I agree some of the lyrics are awful.

COBL is a bad song, opener or otherwise.

Mofo was amazing, obviously

Miracle is OK - it's U2 big single by numbers but it works well.

Stingray was U2 trying to do something new after they realised no one wanted to hear anything from NLOTH. It wasn't very good.

Elevation worked well as an upbeat opener - although I can take or leave the song it had plenty of energy.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Worst opening song.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:01:18 PM »

This. Just terrible.

Vertigo didn't work as an opener either. COBL was much better as the opener on the Vertigo tour.

Waffles

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »
I actually like all of these as openers. Least favorite probably mofo... Favorite of these would be breathe

Offline mrbono

• Stateless
  • I'm the light you can't always see
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
Breathe.  Always thought the first 3 songs for the 360 shows shouldve been; GOYB, EBTTRT, NLOTH

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

This. Just terrible.

Vertigo didn't work as an opener either. COBL was much better as the opener on the Vertigo tour.

I don't know if you can count Stingray Guitar. It wasn't really the first song, so much as it was music for Bono to take the stage. Almost like the mix of Elevation that would play as the band walked up, or Popmusik.  It was his post-surgery "Look I can walk again!" song.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »

This. Just terrible.

I don't know if you can count Stingray Guitar. It wasn't really the first song, so much as it was music for Bono to take the stage. Almost like the mix of Elevation that would play as the band walked up, or Popmusik.  It was his post-surgery "Look I can walk again!" song.

The difference is Stingray was performed live on stage, the other two weren't. 

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »

This. Just terrible.

The difference is Stingray was performed live on stage, the other two weren't.

That's true, but it also was instrumental background music for Bono to hop around and show off his working back.  If you watch the Turin performance, it definitely doesn't feel like the show has officially started yet.

iehomecoming

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »
Breathe isn't terrible, which is something you can't say about a lot of NLOTH, but it's not a strong opener.

However for openers in general you were SOL if you were at early Vertigo shows, they didn't have a clue what they were doing, sounded like they had just started rehearsing aboiut 3 days prior to the tour start and I think within one week had tried 3 different openers. None worked very well.

The last GREAT opener was Mofo, Elevation is a forgettable song but a decent opener.